Software Manager suggestion

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Software Manager suggestion

Post by ander111 »

I like the new Software Manager. However, I've noticed that when you open a category, then do a search, SM shows results from all the software, not the category you've opened.

When you've already bothered to open a certain category, couldn't SM assume that you want to search within that category? I think that would make it much more useful.

If you have any doubts about this, instead you could add a search-limiting checkbox below the Search box. E.g., if the user has opened the Sound & Video category, the checkbox would say:

[x] Search in Sound & Video

Cheers, Ander
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Software Manager suggestion

Post by xenopeek »

Good suggestion. I usually know what I want to install, but why have the drill down to categories and not be able to restrict search to just the selected category. How can we make this happen?
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

I imagine it will involve a certain amount of coding. :?D
quake

Post by quake »

This is a great idea. That would make my life a lot easier. Also the ability to scroll up and down with the arrow keys. Currently touching the arrow keys forces me into a software selection I do not want to install. Its should the same way as scrolling with fire fox. That is the problem. I feel like it should be like fire fox. PLEASE FIX THIS. ITS SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Maybe it's just me, but I'd hesitate to characterize anything so harshly in a totally free OS... I just consider it an opportunity for improvement. ;?)

And maybe it was just an oversight. Maybe the developers who worked on the SM meant to confine search results to the selected category, and for some reason didn't notice it was working that way. (Maybe because they were also working on 1000 other things to get the release out?)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, it is open source software, so you can go ahead and learn Python and download the sources to make any changes you want :D http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintinstall/
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Then of course you'd have to remember not to let it overwrite itself whenever there was an update...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ander111 wrote:Then of course you'd have to remember not to let it overwrite itself whenever there was an update...
If you write something neat, and configurable for new/old behavior, I'm sure you can get this include in the main packages.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Cool! Now if I could just figure out how I could take the time to learn another programming language and stay married...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”