Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.

The look of the Linux Mint 12 default Gnome Shell Session

1. LM12RC two panel desktop
14
24%
2. Old school single panel desktop
38
64%
3. Something else
7
12%
 
Total votes: 59

User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by bimsebasse »

Just this, but it's pretty clear: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE/wiki
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:Just this, but it's pretty clear: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE/wiki
Oh... I see.
What I also see is that we are going to have another windows-list extension update in the next few hours...
Prepare to re-apply your tweaks!
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:18 am

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by Rehdon »

I would like a top panel, hope that it will be easy in LM 13 to switch from bottom (too Windows-like) to top (where the main items like menus, favorites, notifications etc. were in Gnome 2.x).

Rehdon
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by esteban1uy »

Rehdon wrote:I would like a top panel, hope that it will be easy in LM 13 to switch from bottom (too Windows-like) to top (where the main items like menus, favorites, notifications etc. were in Gnome 2.x).

Rehdon
But you can have everything at top just disabling bottom-panel extension!
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by cwwgateway »

I agree with the other posts that mint should have one bottom panel. If you look around the forums and through the blog comments, you will find the two panels a major complaint. I think that one panel would further help gnome shell with mgse look like gnome 2. Personally, I find the top panel to be a complete waste of space and to be inconvienient because different buttons are on the top and the bottom.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by craig10x »

cwwgateway wrote:I agree with the other posts that mint should have one bottom panel. If you look around the forums and through the blog comments, you will find the two panels a major complaint. I think that one panel would further help gnome shell with mgse look like gnome 2. Personally, I find the top panel to be a complete waste of space and to be inconvienient because different buttons are on the top and the bottom.
I believe Clem is working on that for mint 13 and will also be porting the original mint menu to mgse :D
For Mint 12 i am temporarily getting around the 2 panel situation by using the neat extension from the gnome 3 website that auto hides the top panel....it works great and restores the top space for me :wink:
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by cwwgateway »

craig10x wrote: I believe Clem is working on that for mint 13 and will also be porting the original mint menu to mgse :D
For Mint 12 i am temporarily getting around the 2 panel situation by using the neat extension from the gnome 3 website that auto hides the top panel....it works great and restores the top space for me :wink:
I hope he will port the original mint menu, but as far as I have seen on the mgse wiki, they are going to improve the mgse menu, but I hope that that ends up like the "old" mint menu :D .
I am currently using the reflection extension, some other extensions/tweaks, and Esteban1uy's tweaks to get 1 panel with everything on it.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by bimsebasse »

Hmm
Oliveber wrote:the two panel thing was probably a necessary evil given the short time in which the Mint team had to create a traditional desktop friendly shell.
Earlier in the thread:
bimsebasse wrote:It'll please the majority to know that a single bottom panel setup is in the works for Mint 13 - the two panel thing was probably a necessary evil given the short time in which the Mint team had to create a traditional desktop friendly shell.
Is this a new kind of trolling old people like me don't understand? *feels frightened and insecure and decides to vote for the tough-on-crime party next election*
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:Is this a new kind of trolling old people like me don't understand? *feels frightened and insecure and decides to vote for the tough-on-crime party next election*
Come on grandpa, don't be so grumpy. The boy was just saving some keystrokes. :lol:
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
akavir
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:54 am

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by akavir »

I voted something else. I've been using Cairo-dock for about a year now, and it was such a nice surprise to see that in "Lisa" after the download there is an option for "Cairo-Dock w/Gnome w/effects." It works so well, and with no bars my full-screen applications use all the screen realty. This is the only option I may ever need.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by KBD47 »

Maybe time for a new poll:
MATE
Gnome Shell
Cinnamon
Dock
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by bimsebasse »

Yup, but it's not really up for debate anymore, it will certainly be Cinnamon. Gnome Shell will be an alternative login session, at best. Unless MATE suddenly explodes.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by KBD47 »

I'm betting on Cinnamon.
Post Reply

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”