Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: MintUpdate doesn't update all packages

Post by rivenathos »

Well, mintUpdate is designed with a ranking of Levels 1 - 5. Only Levels 1 - 3 are enabled by default. Levels 4 - 5 can sometimes cause problems or breakage, so are not listed as being "upgradeable" unless you enable them. This might be why you are noticing a discrepancy with the number of packages available to update/upgrade in mintUpdate versus Synaptic. It is not a bug or a glitch, it is how Mint is designed.

The Levels 4 - 5 will show up as "upgradeable" in Synaptic, and using the Terminal can bring those packages in, as well. The preferred way of updating Mint is via the mintUpdate application, not Synaptic or Terminal - unless you are a more advanced user. If you know what you are doing, go ahead and do it.

The release notes and other wiki info can explain it better than I can. Mint does a few things differently from other distros, and it can take a little while to get used to how everything is set up. Welcome to Mint, and have fun!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I have just noticed several posts similar to yours in the forum. While my standard advice in using mintUpdate still stands, there may be something else going on with the updates for some folks.

I just ran an update, and I cannot verify any issues on my Mint 7 system. Have you refreshed mintUpdate? You may try quitting mintUpdate and starting it again. I saw one post where someone got it working by updating in Synaptic, but not sure if that is best for you. You might look at some other posts and make some decisions.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

I'm about a week into my first install of Mint, and I've had to do a few manual, forced upgrades from the terminal because MintUpdate didn't download the packages.

I haven't had any issues since my first couple days, though, so once you work around it manually, the problem seems to go away. For me, anyways.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

I think rivenathos is right: level 3 are "visible", but not "safe" by default, where safe means selected for install. You should be able to select the checkbox manually to install an unsafe, visible update. You can also change the behaviour in the preferences.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

Louis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louis »

Can't you just a CLI-tool that's makes it possible to upgrade at the Mint-way though a terminal? Thanks :)
Last edited by Louis on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

Louis: there're many tools that will allow you to upgrade your system, but only mintUpdate provides the "levels" capability to decide what's safe and what's not, all the others will just install others, regardless of the fact that the update is known to cause problems in some circumstances.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header

Louis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louis »

emorrp1 wrote:Louis: there're many tools that will allow you to upgrade your system, but only mintUpdate provides the "levels" capability to decide what's safe and what's not, all the others will just install others, regardless of the fact that the update is known to cause problems in some circumstances.
I know that, but if I'am connecting to a Mint-pc tough ssh and wants to upgrade the machine there is no easy way to upgrade it, if I wants to keep unsafe packages away.
An other idea: Hold unsafe packages back with the hold option. Advanced users that wants to upgrade the unsafe packages anyway can just use the "--ignore-hold" option.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

well, there's always X forwarding: just add a "-X" flag to your normal ssh command, then test it with e.g. xeyes. Basically it forwards any relevant graphical data. You should then be able to launch mintupdate with gksudo mintupdate. Yes, you can manually set various holds if you prefer, but you'd have to do this manually, and so know in advance which packages are safe.

Louis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louis »

emorrp1 wrote:well, there's always X forwarding: just add a "-X" flag to your normal ssh command, then test it with e.g. xeyes. Basically it forwards any relevant graphical data. You should then be able to launch mintupdate with gksudo mintupdate. Yes, you can manually set various holds if you prefer, but you'd have to do this manually, and so know in advance which packages are safe.
I think it's a kind of overkill to ssh with X forwadring just to update a Mint-PC without the unsafe packages that he Mint team has keept back. Therefore I recommend you to hold packages with apt or make a mintupdate tool for the command line.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

yeah, a real CLI for mintUpdate would be cool (we're working on one for mintUpload), and I see your point about the overhead of X forwarding for slow connections. I've always had high-speed connections when it's X-forwarding I'm after.

Return to “Software & Applications”