Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
joaojmc
Level 1
Level 1

MintUpdate not working.

Post by joaojmc »

MintUpdate is not working, it just freezes there, doesn't do anything at all. Just goes gray and stays there. :cry:

I hope anybody can help! :wink:

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: MintUpdate not working.

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Did the program request your password when it opened and did you enter it? When mintUpdate opens, the window will be grayed out until the user enters a password in response to the system prompt.
Registered Linux User 483387

joaojmc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joaojmc »

Yes, I insert the password, after that the screen just stays gray. :cry:

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

I also have a problem with mint update, which I'm using in 'Tray Mode'. Since MintUpdate was itself updated a few days ago, the padlock symbol is broken and clicking 'Information' tells me that:

++ Launching mintUpdate in user mode
++ Testing initial connection
++ Connection found - checking for updates
++ Starting refresh
++ Auto-refresh timer is going to sleep for 0 minutes, 4 hours and 0 days
-- Failed to download new safety rules: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules.tmp' None
-- Could not download safety rules

There is a 'rules.old' file in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/ which is dated 2009-07-16 21:43 but no rules.tmp exists. I recreated it from rules.old, but it made no difference.

Not sure if there is a common cause to both my and joaojmc's problem. I'm Using Mint 7 Gloria (Gnome version).

joaojmc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joaojmc »

I'm using Mint Gloria Gnome Version as well, and I like it. But aparently I have 300+ updates to do... :shock:

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

Yeah, I like this version too. I usually prefer KDE, but haven't tried the Gloria KDE version yet.

I just tried running mint-update from the menu. It worked and said "Your System Is Up To Date" and rules.tmp exists again. So it looks like my problem is solved. I hope someone can suggest a fix for yours.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Could be that one of your apt files are corrupted, got this from one of Fred's posts:
The two commands below, run in a terminal, will pretty well clean up your package management system. Copy and paste to prevent typos.

sudo su

apt-get -y autoremove && aptitude -y autoclean && aptitude -y clean && dpkg --configure -a
Something to try? regards, Richy

joaojmc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joaojmc »

richyrich wrote:Could be that one of your apt files are corrupted, got this from one of Fred's posts:
The two commands below, run in a terminal, will pretty well clean up your package management system. Copy and paste to prevent typos.

sudo su

apt-get -y autoremove && aptitude -y autoclean && aptitude -y clean && dpkg --configure -a
Something to try? regards, Richy

Still not working. :cry:

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Terminal:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update

-al-
Level 1
Level 1

Post by -al- »

Having just had this issue myself with mintUpdate version 3.7.9; says;

Code: Select all

++ Starting refresh
-- Failed to download new safety rules: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules.tmp' None
After following above advice from richyrich (both bits), it was still reporting the same error. Opening up mintupdate proper however resolved this.

trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trsnrtr »

My Mint update quit a couple days ago, also. :(

Using Gnome 7

Richyrich's post fixed it. Thanks!

caris_mere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by caris_mere »

I have had the same experience as listed above. I followed all 3 pieces of advice and it worked. Strangely though, this all happened after I installed a wireless router at home. It happened on all my computers. MintUpdate worked pre-wireless, but when adding a wireless connection and using it instead caused MintUpdate to have this problem on all my computers.

TICOR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TICOR »

Hello,
Same problem here only, mintupdate is still not downloading "Safety Rules". The posts from Richyrich helped a lot, thank you. I hope you can suggest something more.... :D

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello TICOR, and Welcome to Linux Mint. There was a bug with mintUpdate 3.7.9 causing it to claim it couldn't download safety rules, this was fixed in v3.7.9.1 and you can safely click on the icon, install that update and restart mintUpdate.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Right now I have to wait about a couple hours to get an acroread update, 64mb download . After ten mintues it is about 2 % done. I guees it is Ubuntu that is very slow.
The rest of the 'Net is running ok.

lexon
Last edited by lexon on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Well that was not as bad as I thought. The update finished about fifty minutes ago.

lexon
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

chakraps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chakraps »

-al- wrote:Having just had this issue myself with mintUpdate version 3.7.9; says;

Code: Select all

++ Starting refresh
After following above advice from richyrich (both bits), it was still reporting the same error. Opening up mintupdate proper however resolved this.
+1

Cliff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cliff »

I ran Mint back in 2007-2008 and really liked it. I've been distro hoping since then and I remembered how much I liked Mint so I installed Gloria a week ago. At first everything worked Great!
But then the Mintupdate failed. I only get a grayed out window. I left it for hours but no-go.
Synaptic still works fine.
I've tried (I think) everything on the forum but nothing seems to work.
The upgrade/update safety rules are a big reason I came back to Mint.
Is there a fix yet?
Anyone?
Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED- MintUpdate not working.

Post by Cliff »

richyrich wrote:Terminal:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update
Problem solved, thank you richyrich.
I suspect an operator error on my part.

Cliff

z1000000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z1000000 »

Hello

I'm new to Mint and not sure about the mintUpdate tool.
When I loaded Mint, it said there were updates and downloaded them. The last update it did was over two weeks ago. It looks like it works, but it always says I'm up to date. I've loaded Mint 6 with Gnome. So to test it I ticked every level, 1 to 5 including the "dist-upgrade" box, thinking it must find something as I'm on the previous version 6, but it still says I'm up to date.

Perhaps it is working perfectly, and there haven't been any updates recently. Are updates made often on Mint or on Felicia? Before Mint I ran Ubuntu and that seemed to have updates almost every day.

I've used the code from richyrich, the first line removed stuff, and the second got 38 lines and finished with this-

Fetched 6712kB in 2min11s (50.9kB/s)
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ ... ckages.bz2 Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Any help or ideas would be great thanks

Well MintUpdate is working as I've got 7 level 3 updates waiting. It's the 26/Aug and the last updates were on the 8/Aug so I guess updates don't happen very often.

I still get that error when I reload Package manager though, I'm reading up on how to fix it but any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”