How To install a non-Wacom (Yiynova) tablet into Linux

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

How To install a non-Wacom (Yiynova) tablet into Linux

Postby Fuzzy Penquin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:47 pm

This tutorial explains how to install a non-Wacom tablet monitor, specifically the Yiynova MVP22U, into Linux Mint. The process should be pretty much the same for any other supported brand/model of tablet monitor using the UC-LOGIC digitizer. For a list of what other tablet monitors work with these drivers, see Digimend's Github page: https://github.com/DIGImend/digimend-kernel-drivers.

I am using Linux Mint 17.1 (based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) with the Cinnamon DE. This should work for any other distro, but I have not tested it on anything else. This comes from collaboration with another Mint user, springvanillarose, and is our combined efforts. I'd like to thank the Digimend project's team for making the drivers, because none of this would be possible without them.

How to install non-Wacom drivers into Linux:

:!: IMPORTANT: DO NOT PLUG YOUR YIYNOVA INTO YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE DRIVERS. :!:

STEP ONE

• Open your Terminal and type in sudo apt-get install build-essential (hit Y when asked if you want to continue)
  • Go to github and download the Digimend kernal drivers v5 (green button with the tar.gz file): https://github.com/DIGImend/digimend-kernel-drivers/releases/tag/v5
  • Create a spot on your hard drive to hold your drivers; put it wherever you want it to live where it won't interfere with your other normal stuff (example: Downloads --> Drivers). My file path below reflects that it's just sitting in a subfolder called "Drivers" within my main Downloads folder: /home/fuzzypenquin/Downloads/Drivers/digimend-kernel-drivers-5. Everything is case-sensitive, FYI. Obviously, put your own name in place of mine (fuzzypenquin).

STEP TWO

Open your Terminal, and type the following (remember to change "fuzzypenquin" to your own name, and replace "Downloads" and "Drivers" with whatever folder and/or subfolder you put the file into).....

cd /home/fuzzypenquin/Downloads/Drivers/digimend-kernel-drivers-5
(Hit Enter)
make (wait for it to finish)
sudo make install
(type your password)
(wait for it to finish. Now you're done.)

Reboot your computer. Your Yiynova remains UNPLUGGED from your computer right now!

STEP THREE

• Ok, plug your Yiynova into your computer now.
  • Go into your Settings Manager and the Display settings. Set it to Mirror Mode. The Yiynova will not work properly in dual screen mode.

Ok test your pen calibration by opening your drawing program of choice. Does the pen line up with the cursor? Does your pencil line follow the pen correctly? If yes, then you're finished!

Troubleshoot: If the cursor only clicking, but not moving, you must turn off the tablet and plug it in again.

STEP FOUR

If the pen needs calibration, continue on....

• Go into your Software Repositories and install xinput-calibrator. After installation, it will show up in your programs menu as Calibrate Touchscreen (probably under Administration).
  • Run the program: touch the pen to the red crosshairs in each corner of the screen. When finished, it will open up a Terminal window with the results of the calibration test.
  • Highlight and copy everything at the bottom from "Section" to "EndSection" (including both of those words). Depending on your distro, you will paste the copied text into either /ect/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (Mint is the latter one).
  • Open a second Terminal window and type: sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
  • Gedit will open up with the file you want to edit. Scroll to the bottom and paste your copied text there. Save, then close the document. Reboot your computer.

Troubleshooting:

Did your computer fail to reboot to desktop after STEP FOUR: Point 5? Here's why and how to fix it....

Where you got the calibration specs from the terminal, it said: MatchProduct "UC-LOGIC 21.5 Tablet Monitor" on one of the lines. REMOVE the quote () between 21.5 and Tablet, so that it now reads MatchProduct "UC-LOGIC 21.5 Tablet Monitor". Failing to remove the quote () may result in X11 failing to load to GUI upon reboot.

If this happens, put your distro's Live CD into you computer and boot into it. Navigate your computer's hard drive file system to: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and open the X11 folder in Root mode (via right-click). Open xorg.conf.d and scroll to the bottom. Delete the quote (") between 21.5 and Tablet. Save, and exit. Reboot the computer and everything should be fixed now.

All Finished! Yay! Happy drawing, people. :D
Last edited by Fuzzy Penquin on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, (MSI) Nvidia GeForce GTX770, Mint 17 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.

EternalBeings
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How To install a non-Wacom (Yiynova) tablet into Linux

Postby EternalBeings » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:55 pm

hey i saw your tutorial and followed it, but i downloaded a newer driver 6 instead of 5. And im using a yiynova mvp22u+rh on linux mint 18 but it says this when im trying to click "make"

julia@julia-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M ~/Downloads/drivers tablet/digimend-kernel-drivers-6 $ make
make -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/julia/Downloads/drivers tablet/digimend-kernel-drivers-6 modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
arch/x86/Makefile:148: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
Makefile:670: Cannot use CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG: -fstack-protector-strong not supported by compiler
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'tablet/digimend-kernel-drivers-6'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
Makefile:9: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

what do i do?

mint-o-licious
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mint-o-licious » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Fuzzy Penquin wrote:...Set it to Mirror Mode. The Yiynova will not work properly in dual screen mode.[/list]...

Looking into buying a Yiynova tablet but if this is true then I won't. There's no use having two monitors if they show the same content...
How exactly does it not work properly?

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fuzzy Penquin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:07 pm

EternalBeings wrote:hey i saw your tutorial and followed it, but i downloaded a newer driver 6 instead of 5. And im using a yiynova mvp22u+rh on linux mint 18 but it says this when im trying to click "make"

julia@julia-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M ~/Downloads/drivers tablet/digimend-kernel-drivers-6 $ make
make -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/julia/Downloads/drivers tablet/digimend-kernel-drivers-6 modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
arch/x86/Makefile:148: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
Makefile:670: Cannot use CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG: -fstack-protector-strong not supported by compiler
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'tablet/digimend-kernel-drivers-6'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
Makefile:9: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

what do i do?

So very sorry for not seeing this much sooner. My desktop's power supply died some months before your question to me, and I've been using the opportunity to rebuild the whole thing and do a large scale case mod. So I've not had a working computer since then (and still don't). I am typing this from an iPad, so I have no ability to trouble shoot or try to work out your issue. But I am going to take two guesses as to the cause of your problem....

1) Re-reading my instructions, I did forget to put this in: Before doing anything at all, open your Terminal and type sudo apt-get install build-essential
(hit Y when asked if you want to continue) .
I have added this to my original instructions; my apologies. This may be your issue, as you may be lacking whatever added stuff that command installs.
2) If #1 wasn't your problem, then it may be something about the specific the driver version you have. Driver version #6 wasn't out yet back when I installed my Yiynova monitor. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this, since I do not have a working desktop computer right now. An iPad is rather insufficient for tinkering with Linux stuff. :(

I hope this was at least a little helpful to you. Again, I apologize for not seeing your question months ago, and for forgetting to put the build-essential command into my How To. Hopefully the next person will have no problems. Good luck EternalBeings.
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, (MSI) Nvidia GeForce GTX770, Mint 17 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fuzzy Penquin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm

mint-o-licious wrote:
Fuzzy Penquin wrote:...Set it to Mirror Mode. The Yiynova will not work properly in dual screen mode.[/list]...

Looking into buying a Yiynova tablet but if this is true then I won't. There's no use having two monitors if they show the same content...
How exactly does it not work properly?

I have been without a working desktop for close to a year now (down for hardware repairs and upgrades, and case modding), so my memory is rusty, but as I recall when set as Dual Screen the entire desktop image was incorrectly spread across both monitors as if they were one. This meant that when trying to use the Yiynova as a drawing tablet, your pen and the cursor didn't line up, and maybe some other issues that I can't remember any more. When set as Mirror, they properly showed two identical desktop images. I found this to be a minor (if disappointing) inconvenience, since I really only turned mine on when I went to actually draw something. I have since learned that Digimend has a new driver out, so maybe that new one allows for proper Dual Screen mode? I can't test this, since I have only my iPad for computer usage at the moment until my desktop case mod is finished.

mint-o-licious
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mint-o-licious » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 am

Thank you Fuzzy Penguin.
I went with a Cintiq as the Yiynova support seemed shaky.
With the Cintiq I have proper dual display and I can easily remap the pen between the monitors.

Return to “Tutorials”