Making Gimp look and feel like Photoshop

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
chrisuk
Level 4
Level 4

Making Gimp look and feel like Photoshop

Postby chrisuk » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Although not a professional photographer, I do take and process 100s of pictures each day... when I catch a predator eating it's prey (for those interested (I'm guessing not many here ;) ); I see Sparrowhawks regularly) 1000+ pictures a day. One of the problems with using Gimp in Linux, is the interface looks totally different to Photoshop... there's other problems, but the interface seems to stop people even trying it for long enough.

Here is a theme (screenshot) that mostly mimics the Photoshop interface; it's not perfect, but it's a good result from the hard work put into it, and it's more familiar to Photoshop users than the Gimp defaults.

(I have to admit that I mostly use Photoshop through Wine, as I've no qualms about using propriety software (I use whatever makes my life easier), but those that have such qualms might want to try Gimp.)
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added screenshot link as the github page lacks a screenshot or preview
Chris

LMDE2 MATE - SparkyLinux - MX Linux - Manjaro MATE

chrisuk
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Making Gimp look and feel like Photoshop

Postby chrisuk » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 pm

I forgot the screenshot... thanks @xenopeek ;)
Chris

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Postby racer-x » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for this!!!

As you can see, I also like shooting raptors....

chrisuk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby chrisuk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:15 am

racer-x wrote:Thanks for this!!!

As you can see, I also like shooting raptors....

Well exposed and detailed, and with a Fish too. No Bald Eagles in the UK... Goldies, but I've never seen one this far south (London).

(I won't add a pic of my own, as this will end up a very long thread that only interests a few of us ;) )
Chris

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Postby racer-x » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 pm

The original shot wasn't well exposed. I shot it @ F-7.1 ISO=400 Shutter=1600. The original sky was blown out beyond repair, so I made my own using a gradient, then rendered some clouds.

Nice to know it looks convincing though :wink:

nakednorman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nakednorman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I've used Gimp intermittently in both Windows & Linux - I always felt that it had great potential but I struggled with its 'usability'.
I've been using Irfanview in Wine until now, but although I've never used Photoshop, I feel this GUI is a vast improvement.
Many thanks for posting the link
NN

sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sfrusciante » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for the guide!

GIMP still doesn't give the feel of PS, but we're close, very close.
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me

jastombaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jastombaugh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Great job on the toolbar icon set. I've been a photoshop veteran for quite a number of years, and I confess, muscle memory is only a huge advantage as long as there are constants. (Change too much, and muscle memory works against you).

Let me admonish those seeking to replace photoshop with GIMP: (Something I had heard a lot when I transitioned and it rings so very true) Gimp is not photoshop. It's not photoshop-lite. It's not FREE photoshop. It is GIMP.

When I first started using it, I would quickly become frustrated because all of the tools, layouts, and many of the steps I was used to just weren't quickly recognizable or where I was used to going to find them. Even icon sets like were huge blessings!

At some point, I had to ask myself, "Do I know how to photoshop, or did I know photo-editing & manipulation?"
When I began taking steps to learn the latter, the former became less important. It was weird and crazy to step out and become the ACTUAL artist, myself, and letting the program simply become just a tool.

While GIMP and PS are completely different tools that can pretty much do the same thing with varying amounts of speed or effort, ultimately, if you embrace to tool for its uniqueness and learn it's way of working, I think you'll find yourself adapting quicker than you think.

Ps - aside from PS's superior text handling, I've found that the concepts and techniques I learned from my Adobe days transfer quite well into GIMP.

That said, thank you for the tool icons. I hope they help people transitioning as much as they helped me.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MartyMint » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:26 pm

chrisuk wrote:.. when I catch a predator eating it's prey (for those interested (I'm guessing not many here ;) );

We have many red-tailed hawks living in my neighbourhood, as I live near a hill with high tree tops.
They even land in my backyard (usually in the winter months) to sun themselves. They are very beautiful.

Return to “Tutorials”