How to setup Toshibas for fan control to work

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
rdanner3

How to setup Toshibas for fan control to work

Post by rdanner3 »

(Based on a post in Ubuntu Forums, dated 01 April 2011 by Moldjelly)

Where it shows "gedit", use "pluma" or "leafpad" or whatever is your text editor instead. Bolded text is what you type in terminal.

Type sudo apt-get install sensors-applet && sudo sensors-detect
next. answer yes to everything.

exit then restart computer.
Next, type sudo gedit /etc/default/grub and then change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to read

..."quiet splash acpi_osi="

Then, type sudo update-grub to update GRUB
exit, then restart computer.

Add the following to your /etc/modules by typing sudo gedit /etc/modules

battery
ac
thermal
processor
acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq-userspace
Restart after adding.

Note: This works for the Satellite series as well, although I did correct one syntax error (he had "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" misspelt) in the original post, which is here.
Spro504

Re: How to setup Toshibas for fan control to work

Post by Spro504 »

Gedit isn’t a command found
Edit didn’t have it installed
rdanner3

Re: How to setup Toshibas for fan control to work

Post by rdanner3 »

Spro504 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 pm Gedit isn’t a command found
Edit didn’t have it installed
GEdit is simply a text editor. I used it at the time; now I use (depending on context) nano, xed or leafpad. The very first line of the guide as written already shows to "correct gedit to whatever you use to edit text files" and gives various examples.

Of the three I mention above, nano is command-line driven, xed is relatively new and appears to be Linux Mint specific, and leafpad is LXDE's text editor.

It would appear that I need to double-check my own machine based on the tutorial; its on-board fan is not running quite the way I've heard it run in Windows, so obviously, something is not totally correct.

Return to “Tutorials”