Asus T100TA - Linux Mint 20 - Almost flawless OOTB!!!

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Magoso
Level 1
Level 1

Asus T100TA - Linux Mint 20 - Almost flawless OOTB!!!

Post by Magoso »

Hi all,

I was trying to get my T100ta to install Linux, since I prefer it over Windows 10 and its less demanding on the system. After a couple of days I was finally able to figure out how to install it with ease.

Almost everything works out of the box. Bluetooth, touch screen, no screen tearing, sound (though you still have to fix the popping due to power-save features), even the function keys to control screen brightness and volume work. Everything just works!!!

The only thing I can't seem to get working is the volume rocker on the left had side of the display, but that's not really an issue for me as I usually use the software controls.

Also you have to configure the WiFi with a simple command to get it working, but that is no trouble fix and you only have to do it twice and it will work forever after that. I am noticing that the WiFi drops off once and a while, but it connects again right away.

I followed the guide at (https://github.com/5bentz/linux-asus-t1 ... A_guide.md ) to help get it working. Though these specific instructions are for Ubuntu version 18.04.1 and I ran into errors using Mint 20. But it did contain some good information which helped me eventually get things working.

Anyways, here is how to do it.

Make a USB installer with the Linux Mint 20 ISO from the mint website:

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I used the Cinnamon desktop version, but I'm sure the others will work with this method.

Add the bootia32.efi too the EFI/BOOT folder on your install disk on the ISO after burning it:

https://github.com/hirotakaster/baytail-bootia32.efi

This will allow you to boot into the the system with the Live ISO to test out and install Mint. Also make sure Secureboot is disabled in the BIOS so it can boot the ISO.

Once you have gotten into the live environment you MUST get the WiFi working before you do the install. If you don’t you will have a grub error and wont be able to boot. The instructions I was following had you install Mint first by running Ubiquity in -b mode to get around the boot issue, then to manually set up the grub boot yourself. The instructions only had you fix the WiFi AFTER you installed the system.

So fix the WiFi before you install from the Live ISO. To fix it:

Open a terminal and type:

sudo -s

Then copy this command into the terminal:

cp /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/nvram-* /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.txt

then

modprobe -r brcmfmac
then
modprobe brcmfmac

This will get the WiFi working for the install. You will have to run those 3 lines again once you boot into the system for the first time without the Live ISO stick. After that it works fine and logs onto your network automatically. As I said above, I have experienced a few drops, but it automatically signs back on right away.

Now that your WiFi is enabled go ahead and run the installer normally by running the install icon on the desktop. Once that is finished go ahead and reboot, it will ask you to remove the install media then press enter.

After that everything should boot fine, again you need to run the WiFi fix once more on the freshly installed system and that’s it.

To fix the audio popping issue I followed one of the instructions at:
viewtopic.php?t=184635

Specifically this instruction:
Go to /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/ and edit the intel-audio-powersave file.
Find the line that says:
INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=${INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE:-true}
Hash this out so it reads:
#INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=${INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE:-true}
Add this directly underneath it:
INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=false

You must reboot for the fix to take effect.

This fixed the sound popping when I would play or pause a video or audio file. It still pops just once before the login screen, but is fine after that. If anyone knows a fix for that let me know please.

Anyways, this should get it installed and working on the T100TA and I assume others in the Transformer series. I also have a T101HA but haven’t tried it on it yet. Though the T101HA has that stupid portrait default that can be set to landscape in both Windows and Linux Mint in the display settings. But some older games display weird and I get a black bar on the right hand side of the screen.

If anyone knows how to delete the portrait mode from the T101HA permanently please let me know as I would rather it just function like a little laptop. Would love to have Linux on it as well for the old games I play off Steam, but the screen issue is a deal breaker. Since I can usually find work around for Windows on it, I’ll leave Windows on there for now.

Well, that’s about all there is to get it working really well. I’ve been using it for a few days now and it works awesome. Let me know how it works for you if you give it a go.

Kind Regards,
Matthew
Last edited by SMG on Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old topic to prevent new issues from being added.
Magoso
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Asus T100TA - Linux Mint 20 - Almost flawless OOTB!!!

Post by Magoso »

Just an update...

I tried a live boot of Mint 20 on my T101HA (yes, I have two transformers...hehe) and WiFi worked right out of the box. I still had to flip the display from portrait to Landscape, but I had to do that with Windows as well. Because of the screen issues I also had to fix the screen tearing which was a quick and easy fix.

I didn't install to this one, just tested out the live boot. Just thought I would post in case anyone is looking for a good Linux OS for their transformer book.

Kind Regards,
Matthew
RisingTiger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RisingTiger »

Hey Matthew,

Thanks so much for this! I recently got out my Asus T100TA with the idea of installing Linux Mint on it, so I'll have to give this a try. I hope to report back to let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

Mark
rainerf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rainerf »

Matthew,
TY VM for the detailed instructions!
I have tried for a week now to flash Mint 20.1 with either Rufus (1.4 and 3.something) and Etcher.
Either the flash won't allow me to add the bootia32.efi file to the flash card (not enough space even though it is a 8gig card) or if I get the file on it by using Rufus persistent partition space, it will not boot.
With Rufus, I tried MBR, GPT, FAT32 file system, etc etc etc
The distro i am trying to use is Mint 20.1 MATE 64bit
My Asus is a t100ta
How did you prepare the flash card exactly? Oh, Rufus 3+ does not have a selection for making it a boot drive.

I am desperate to get Win10 off the Asus
TY anyone in advance for any suggestions
rainerf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rainerf »

My apologies - just read the note about not adding questions. I will copy above and create a new question thread.
MrMinty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMinty »

Kudos to the OP I managed to install 20.2 Cinnamon on my T100TA.

Just to add a few post-installation finetuning steps to the above instructions:

Bluetooth:
The stock bluetooth package (blueberry) doesn't work under 20.2. Use blueman to replace it.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove blueberry
sudo apt-get install blueman
The interface of blueman is far much better than blueberry and is very stable. I successfully paired up and connected my bluetooth keyboard with trackpad to it (my original keyboard docking was long dead).
What amazes me is even though under Windows (7 & 10), I can only use either bluetooth or wifi, but not both at the same time for connections, I can use both side by side under 20.2 with blueman.

Simulate right click with tap:
Since none of the buttons on the left side works (no output in xev), there is still a way to simulate the mouse right button by tapping. Simply run this command once in the terminal:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.a11y.mouse secondary-click-enabled "true"
Now you can enable the right click function by tap and hold for about 2 seconds.

Increase the width of the side scroll bar:
General (desktop, etc.): Go to Preferences > Themes > Settings. Enable "Overide the current theme's scrollbar width". Then use the slider below the option to adjust the width.
Chromium browser: Install the extension called "Rescroller"
Magoso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magoso »

Hello again,

Just a small update to let you all know that the upgrade from 20.1 to 20.2 worked perfectly with no hitches. I also upgraded the kernel from 5.4 to 5.11 without any problems whatsoever, perfectly painless. What an easy upgrade.

I'm pretty sure it's booting up a little faster as well, so I'm quite happy with that. I hope those who are using Mint on their T100's are as pleased as I am with this OS.

Thanks to Mr.Minty for the additional tweaks and fixes, its much appreciated, and I hope rainerf and RisingTiger got it up and running.

Anyways, I didn't really have much to report other than the upgrades going smooth and a bit better performance and possibly encourage others to upgrade if they've not yet. Take care all!!! :)

Kind Regards,
Matthew
Magoso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magoso »

I've just also noticed that the volume rocker button on the left side of the screen works now. Not sure if it was the 20.2 upgrade or the kernel, either way I'm happy. But the smaller button below it still isn't working, can't remember what it was for anyway... lol.... :)
Magoso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magoso »

One more small update...

I was able to get the built in bluetooth to work on my T100, as well as another comp I use Mint on, a HP Elitebook 8470p. (Works awsome with mint as well.)

All I had to type was

sudo systemctl enable bluetooth

and it worked right out of the box.

Just thought I'd share that in case anyone else was having issues with bluetooth.

Cheers!
Matthew
hyawatha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hyawatha »

Hi,

I've got my hands on T100TA and altough old and humble it's still very useful. However preinstalled windows 8 is very old (this particular example hasn't seen any use for at least 6 years!) and to make matters worse it was locked for use in my company so I needed something else. So after consulting google for alternatives I stumbled upon this very useful thread.

Mint 20.3 runs very well. Even the volume rocker started to work after kernel update to 5.13. However, to really be able to use T100TA as a tablet I need to fix some annoyances first:

- I can rotate the screen manually in settings but toucscreen doesn't follow the rotation.Also T100TA has sensors for auto rotation but these don't work for me(yes, I have setting to disable auto rotation disabled and iio-sensor-proxy installed). Does anyone have any ideas how to fix rotation so I can at least use it manually?

- Hibernation doesn't work. It's a must since ordinary sleep drains battery very quickly... (especially old battery like mine)

- does T100TA have auto brightness sensor? If it does it doesn't work :)

On the positive side, google chrome browser provides proper tablet experience with all the gestures supported.

Thanks for this very useful thread and for any replies.
hyawatha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hyawatha »

Well, no problem with auto rotation. Works like a charm. I gave up on hibernation and auto brightness for the moment.

But now I found out all audio is playing distorted in something like slow motion and can't fix it.
bones2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bones2 »

I followed your directions exactly and everything worked right up to the point where it said to remove the flash drive. Did so, pressed enter... but I cant get it to boot. It shows two ubuntu options in my boot list but neither one does anything. any ideas? What am I missing?

Return to “Tutorials”