[SOLVED] Different Backgrounds, Desktop Icons for Different Workspaces (LM20.x, LM21.x Cinn, Mate, XFCE)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials please; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read forum rules
dj1s
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Different Backgrounds, Icons on Different Workspaces (LM20.x Cinn, Mate, XFCE)

Post by dj1s »

I neglected to mention that you have to replace script variables like $1 with real values. $1 is the first parameter passed to the script. If $1 is 3, then
ln -sfn Desk3 Desktop
wmctrl -s 2

Did you run your tests after adding xfdesktop after the killall line? If xfdesktop had already been killed, then it is understandable that desktop ID might be invalid.
Un-Informed
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Different Backgrounds, Icons on Different Workspaces (LM20.x Cinn, Mate, XFCE)

Post by Un-Informed »

Well, I have rebuilt my system several times due to my learning curve. After a several fresh installs of Linux Mint 20.3 your solution has worked as presented each time :D . I am very happy with the results. Being curious I wondered why I had to re-customize my desktop icons on my second monitor to show icons. Solved that problem by adding another line to your script.

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop desktop-layout 'false::false' # comment NO desktop icons
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop desktop-layout 'true::false' # comment Desktop Icons on Primary Monitor Only
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop desktop-layout 'true::true' # comment Desktop Icons All Monitors

Had to spend some time learning about gsettings

Thank
dj1s
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dj1s »

@Un-Informed. Did you try replacing my last line with yours? I suspect it will work for the multi-monitor case without first invoking the single monitor case. Just curious, because I never explored that option.

I will likely add your observations to my tutorial. Thanks.
Un-Informed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Un-Informed »

I commented out the the first two lines. I was thinking if I was traveling with the laptop it would be easier to comment or UN-comment a line.
dj1s
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dj1s »

Has something changed? I found I needed the false::false in order for gsettings to recognize a change to the icons.
Un-Informed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Un-Informed »

My error, I was looking at a copy of the script when I posted. I have all 3 lines active ( not commented out)
hEarthKore
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Different Backgrounds, Desktop Icons for Different Workspaces (LM20.x, LM21.x Cinn, Mate, XFCE)

Post by hEarthKore »

Thank you for this great solution. Sadly it does not work on cinnamon 21.1. It shows only desktop folder not the desk1 or desk2 etc.. swithcing desks work, but with the same background image and icons (desk1, desk2 and background files are visible on desktop, not visible what is in Desk1 folder, only what is in Desktop folder). Maybe there is a cchange in cinnamon 21.1 how to deal with showing Desktop folders...

Anyway, thank you!
dj1s
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Different Backgrounds, Desktop Icons for Different Workspaces (LM20.x, LM21.x Cinn, Mate, XFCE)

Post by dj1s »

I see you just joined, so I can't tell what level of experience you have.

What steps did you take to verify that the scripts do not work for Cinnamon 2.1? The scripts work for me. I suspect you missed a step or made a change that you thought ought to work but doesn't. Most likely problem is failure to make Desktop a link.

I will be away from home computer for at least the next month. If anyone else can help, I would really appreciate it.

Return to “Tutorials”