Google Chrome outdated plugin (flash) fix

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
cra1g321

Google Chrome outdated plugin (flash) fix

Post by cra1g321 »

OK so if your using the Google Chrome browser in Linux Mint, you may of noticed that when a webpage has flash content
you get a message from Chrome notifying you that the flashplugin on the Linux Mint is outdated.

This is because the mint-flashplugin-11 is version 11.0.1.152, while the latest version for most distros is 11.2.202.235.

So when the flashplugin is loaded by Chrome it realises that you are using a older version and will automatically not load any flash content that is on the webpage.
Here's a screenshot so you can see what happens - Image

To stop this message from showing every time you visit a webpage with flash content, you need to add a simple command line flag to Chrome.

Below are instructions on how to do this -

MATE Instructions

Close any Google Chrome windows that are already opened.
Open the Mint Menu, seach for google chrome, right-click on it and click on Edit Properties
A new window will appear allowing you to edit the menu entry for Google Chrome.
Clear the textbox beside Command: and enter in google-chrome --allow-outdated-plugins
Here's a screenshot to show you how it should look - Image
After adding the line in, click on the Close button to exit the edit menu window.

Now open up Google Chrome from the Mint Menu, test that the outdated plugin window no longer shows by visiting a webpage containing flash content, for example youtube.
And now instead of the flash content automatically being blocked by Google Chrome, it should just show and you should also not see the outdated plugin message in Google Chrome either.

Here's a screenshot to show how Google Chrome now looks after i have edited my menu entry for Google Chrome - Image

INFORMATION

Incase you where wondering why Linux Mint doesn't come with the latest available version of flash, it is because there is a few issues with the new version,
for example the issue of colours being only blue when viewing flash content, especially on youtube.

I've only written up how to do this fix for MATE, because that's what I'm currently using, I will maybe post how to do this on Cinnamon.
youshoulduseunix

Re: Google Chrome outdated plugin (flash) fix

Post by youshoulduseunix »

Hate to be a stickler, but this is a pretty bad idea as far as internet security is concerned.

This is what worked for me (running Linux Mint 13 MATE, x64):
Try installing the 'adobe-flashplugin' package, and removing the 'mint-flashplugin' and 'mint-flashplugin-11' packages. If this doesn't fix it for you, then you might have to resort to the fix mentioned above.

FYI: I've been watching flash content (and youtube) beautifully since replacing the mint-flashplugin with the adobe-flashplugin package. So maybe those issues you mentioned are resolved now?

*EDIT*: The latest version of Adobe's flash plugin is now 11.2.202.236 according to this command's output 'apt-cache show adobe-flashplugin'
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

youshoulduseunix wrote:Hate to be a stickler, but this is a pretty bad idea as far as internet security is concerned.
I agree but it's up to the Linux Mint developers what flash version they want to package.
youshoulduseunix wrote:FYI: I've been watching flash content (and youtube) beautifully since replacing the mint-flashplugin with the adobe-flashplugin package. So maybe those issues you mentioned are resolved now?
It depends, I know there's one that currently affects me where the videos use the colour blue only. Problem with flash and nvidia cards it seems, but once i disable hardware acceleration for flash it works.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

chrome comes with flash built in. update chrome rather than the mint flashplugin.

sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk2
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

craigevil wrote:chrome comes with flash built in. update chrome rather than the mint flashplugin.

sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk2
I was using the latest Chrome and it still showed outdated plugin messages.
Tootler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tootler »

On my Acer Netbook, I simply updated and upgraded and that seems to have done the trick as the error message was no longer there when I started chrome.
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK
Mint 21.3
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Great fix - thank you!
Cheers!
Neb
bobbilob

Post by bobbilob »

This just worked for me on a brand new install which had given the error messages. Flash is now 11.2 r202 - it had been 11.0 r1. :D
youshoulduseunix wrote:Hate to be a stickler, but this is a pretty bad idea as far as internet security is concerned.

This is what worked for me (running Linux Mint 13 MATE, x64):
Try installing the 'adobe-flashplugin' package, and removing the 'mint-flashplugin' and 'mint-flashplugin-11' packages. If this doesn't fix it for you, then you might have to resort to the fix mentioned above.

FYI: I've been watching flash content (and youtube) beautifully since replacing the mint-flashplugin with the adobe-flashplugin package. So maybe those issues you mentioned are resolved now?

*EDIT*: The latest version of Adobe's flash plugin is now 11.2.202.236 according to this command's output 'apt-cache show adobe-flashplugin'

Return to “Tutorials”