How to install with manual partitioning (for older systems)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Mal_Hil

Re: How to install with manual partitioning

Post by Mal_Hil »

I did a google search on manually partitioning LM - and found this.

Is there a newer one - I think it would be useful to be pinned at top.

I managed to do it - but I think it could do with updating to LM 18 ???
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Could the need to also create an efi partition when using a windows dual/multiboot and efi BIOS be included in this tutorial?

For those that haven't dealt with what I have, on the systems I've installed on that used a motherboard BIOS that was EFI based and IN the BIOS EFI was enabled, or Windows in the EFI system was already installed, I've had to, in manual install, during the install setup and creating the /, the /home, the /swap partitions either creating if it wasn't there, or placing IN the EFI partition, after setting the other 3 partitions, the bootloader.

Also, I've learned the hard way, especially IF you are using an SSD for OS booting but a MHDD for data/programs/ectetera, only having the SSD (or the MHDD you wanted) connected that will accept the OS plugged into the motherboard, I've had real headaches when I didn't do so.

I'm open to discussion on the merits or lack of on those issues.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Jlvs2run
Level 3
Level 3

18.2 goes to a black screen and won't boot

Post by Jlvs2run »

I did this but 18.2 goes to a black screen and won't boot. I've posted a support question here.
LM 18.3 xfce / lenovo T520 / 8gb ram / 240gb ssd
LM 18.3 xfce / biostar a870u3 / amd athlon II x2 250 / 8gb ram / nvidia gt218 geforce 210 /
SoapyMint

Post by SoapyMint »

xenopeek wrote:You can mount it pretty much anywhere you want, /mnt/disk2 is just an example.
I too am a bit puzzled by the naming why not just "/disk 2" then where did the /mnt originate ?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

SoapyMint,

you are free to shoot your own foot. Nonetheless let me tell you that filenames, foldername, mountpoint names (which are foldernames indeed), enclosing space characters are a good way of making life more complicated. Let go of such Windowish vices.
So you might name the mount point /disk2 or /disk_2.

Not putting objects in the top root level folder / directly, but putting them in the folder /mnt instead, is a good way of keeping your root folder / as clean as possible. Also putting mount points in /mnt consistently makes it easier to check which mount points exist. But you do not have to use /mnt.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I agree, having had to flee from Redmond products, I honestly do NOT want empty spaces treatment to change in GNU/Linux, it's bad practice from Windows and the Linux way makes much more computint sense.

Whenever someone asserts that they want Linux to be more like Windows I want to say, then go back to Windows, GNU/LInux is NOT Windows and that is expressly how it should be. I don't mean to be unkind, but as one learns the hows and whys of Linux system and structure, it tends to make sense. Of course, you can use quotation marks, but it's bad practice, like leaving your unattended idling car alone to be stolen.

GNU/Linux != Windows and that isn't because of an 133t attitude, there's good purpose in why it is so.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
gadang23

Post by gadang23 »

BobCo wrote:does this work for LMDE also?
Read About https://www.tekajebe.com/2017/12/cara-i ... albox.html
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hm, the linked page is in Indonesian, not in English. :?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
SoapyMint

Post by SoapyMint »

karlchen wrote:SoapyMint,

you are free to shoot your own foot. Nonetheless let me tell you that filenames, foldername, mountpoint names (which are foldernames indeed), enclosing space characters are a good way of making life more complicated. Let go of such Windowish vices.
So you might name the mount point /disk2 or /disk_2.
Karl
Apologies the space was a simple typo not a Windows bad habit.

Thanks
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ovisergiu »

Laptop with:
NTFS partition with documents, pictures, stuff.
Linux Mint partitions (I created them manually as shown in this topic/tutorial at the beginning).

Whenever I want to reinstall Mint do I have ALWAYS to delete the "/", "home", "swap" partitions and create them manually?
I want to keep the NTFS partition.
(MAIN) PC: LM 21 Cinnamon, x64, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
(Occasionally): Emachines e725 laptop: 3 GB RAM, Dual core Pentium T4500 (-MCP-) cache:1024 KB, Graphic Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

ovisergiu wrote:Laptop with:
NTFS partition with documents, pictures, stuff.
Linux Mint partitions (I created them manually as shown in this topic/tutorial at the beginning).

Whenever I want to reinstall Mint do I have ALWAYS to delete the "/", "home", "swap" partitions and create them manually?
I want to keep the NTFS partition.
I usually select "something else" in the install menu and select "/" and select "ext4" and check mark format.

My "/Home" is on a separate directory so I select it and the file type "ext4" but DO NOT check mark the format box if you want to use it and keep your data.

Your swap already exist so it will use it automatically.

ALWAYS BACKUP your DATA first before doing anything.
yellowfinch
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install with manual partitioning - Missing a step

Post by yellowfinch »

Thanks for this excellent guide.

However, it is missing a step. I had to start over because one also needs to explicitely create a /boot/efi partition.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install with manual partitioning (for older systems)

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks; you're correct. This tutorial is more than 5 years old and covers manual partitioning for older systems with legacy boot (MBR + BIOS). For modern systems you almost certainly are using EFI boot (GPT + UEFI) and that requires additional steps. For one you'll need to create a EFI boot partition (format as FAT32, at least 200 MB, mount point /boot/efi and the boot flag must be set). You already figured that out but it goes beyond the scope of this tutorial.

As such I've added a note to the start of the tutorial to make that clear, have updated the title and unstickied it. I'll cover it anew with Linux Mint 19.
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ovisergiu »

xenopeek, did you managed to write the new tutorial for Linux Mint 19?
(MAIN) PC: LM 21 Cinnamon, x64, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
(Occasionally): Emachines e725 laptop: 3 GB RAM, Dual core Pentium T4500 (-MCP-) cache:1024 KB, Graphic Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Should I still make a swap partition in 19.1? I do have an "older system".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Locking this tutorial. Please make a topic in the Installation & Boot section for any help you need with partitioning.
xenopeek wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 pm Read this first!!! This is an old tutorial and covers manual partitioning for older systems with legacy boot (MBR + BIOS). For modern systems you almost certainly are using EFI boot (GPT + UEFI) and that requires additional steps. For one you'll need to create a EFI boot partition (format as FAT32, at least 200 MB, mount point /boot/efi and the boot flag must be set). That goes beyond the scope of this tutorial.

Return to “Tutorials”