A last-ditch solution for Firefox/flashplugin hassles

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Garryck

A last-ditch solution for Firefox/flashplugin hassles

Post by Garryck »

Like many others, I recently fell victim to the insecure/disabled flashplugin problems in Firefox.

Despite trying every solution found both on this forum and several others, nothing worked. I was forced to stick with version 11.01.152, which meant every time I wanted to watch a youtube video, I had to manually activate the plugin. Worse was the fact that 90% of the time, I could not copy URLs from photobucket, as it uses flash to copy links to the clipboard.

In desperation, I tried every single version of the 11.2.202.x flashplugin on Adobe's archives, and none of them worked.

Then I came across this post, which said, in part:
squiesuie wrote:Hello again all.
I decided to try again with this problem.

In the link suggested by zerozero: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1080414 I read this:
For users who cannot update to Flash Player 11.2.202.228, Adobe has developed a patched version of Flash Player 10.3, Flash Player 10.3.183.18, which can be downloaded here.
From the adobe hompage archive section i found Flash Player 10.3.183.50 which I downloaded, extracted libflashplayer to a folder just so I could find it, then I did as meteorrock suggested, I used nautilus to move libflashplayer.so to user/lib/opera/plugins, (this was the only way I could move libflashplayer to this folder). And then I tried youtube... Guess what, flash now worked, for the first time ever! I have tried several flash sites, I also used the same method to move libflashplayer to the mozilla folder and now flash works in firefox also.
So I went to the Adobe flashplayer archive page, and downloaded the specially patched Flash Player 10.3.183.18 zip, extracted the libflashplayer.so file and copied it as root to /opt/mint-flashplugin-11.

I restarted Firefox, and it worked! No warnings, and no activation required!

Next, noticing that squiesuie mentioned that he'd used 10.3.183.50, not 10.3.183.18, I went back to the archives and saw that 10.3.183.75 had recently been released (on the 9th of April 2013).

I changed over to this most recent version of the patched plugin, and it too works. The Mozilla plugin check says it's vulnerable, but no warnings and no activation link appears in the webpages, and photobucket is working properly again. Given that this most recent patch is less than a month old, I daresay there is probably very little risk in using it.

So if nothing else works for you, you might want to give this a shot..
npeelman

Re: A last-ditch solution for Firefox/flashplugin hassles

Post by npeelman »

For anyone wanting the latest Adobe Flash, you probably want to use Google Chrome... Flash is built in/bundled with Google Chrome. Checking my system here (chrome://plugins) shows:

Adobe Flash Player (4 files) - Version: 11.7.700.141
Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700

...and no, attempting to copy "/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so" to "~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so" did not work... defaulted to Gnash.
Garryck

Post by Garryck »

Many of us no longer regard Google as "not evil". :wink:
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

Garryck wrote:Many of us no longer regard Google as "not evil". :wink:
karashata

Post by karashata »

I just prefer to stick with Firefox, I've been using it for years and I like how it works.

I doubt there will ever be a good enough reason to have a "current" version of Flash beyond the last official version (plus any critical security updates) *not* bundled with Chrome.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic... Flash is working fine for me on both my Ubuntu-based Mint installation and my LMDE installation, both are using the flashplayer-nonfree installer from Debian, version 1:3.2.1. I believe this is the most recent version, though Firefox only identifies it as 11.2 r202 so I can't verify the exact version number. Mozilla's plugin check page says it's up-to-date, so I'm not too concerned.
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

I just downloaded the flashplayer installer from the package manager and it works fine in chromium. Not yet in firefox but Im hopeful it will after I close the browser and restart.
Garryck

Post by Garryck »

Summersky wrote:Not yet in firefox but Im hopeful it will after I close the browser and restart.
How did that work out for you?
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

Garryck wrote:
Summersky wrote:Not yet in firefox but Im hopeful it will after I close the browser and restart.
How did that work out for you?
Perfectly in Firefox and Chromium, a toshiba laptop and a netbook, also toshiba.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

karashata wrote:I just prefer to stick with Firefox, I've been using it for years and I like how it works.
Firefox only identifies it as 11.2 r202 so I can't verify the exact version number.
++

I have been using firefox for years, on all OSes (winxp/vista/7/linux)
no issue for me on many computers I supported.

Same as above, I always use non-free version of flash plugins, now at 11.2 r202.
No issue for some 8-10 different Linux OSes.

Return to “Tutorials”