HowToForge - Linux Mint 15 (Olivia)

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
SC23
Level 4
Level 4

HowToForge - Linux Mint 15 (Olivia)

Post by SC23 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:38 am

Stumbled across this
[url]http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-linux-mint-15-olivia[/url]
and thought I would share. It is a great tutorial/guide for noobs like me..

here is a snippet..

Snip...
This tutorial shows how you can set up a Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) desktop that is a full-fledged replacement for a Windows desktop, i.e. that has all the software that people need to do the things they do on their Windows desktops. The advantages are clear: you get a secure system without DRM restrictions that works even on old hardware, and the best thing is: all software comes free of charge.

The software I propose as default is the one I found easiest to use and best in their functionality - this won't necessarily be true for your needs, thus you are welcome to try out the applications listed as alternatives.

Linux Mint 15 is available in two flavors - one with the Cinnamon desktop and one with the MATE desktop. I will download and use the Cinnamon version (if you change your mind about what flavor you want to use after some time, you can still download the packages of the other one, install it and select it on the login screen).

I do not issue any guarantee that this will work for you!

1 Preliminary Note
To fully replace a Windows desktop, I want the Mint desktop to have the following software installed:
Graphics:
Pinta - open source drawing application modeled after Paint.NET
KolourPaint - paint application with elemental functions
MyPaint - paint application with a large variety of brushes
The GIMP - free software replacement for Adobe Photoshop
Shotwell Photo Manager - full-featured personal photo management application for the GNOME desktop
Internet:
Firefox
Opera
Chromium - Google's open-source browser
Thunderbird - email and news client
/
Snip...
and then a really comprehensive list of apps.
This tutorial/guide is a noobs dream.

Apologies if this is already somewhere..
SC

elfaure
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HowToForge - Linux Mint 15 (Olivia)

Post by elfaure » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:11 am

Hi-

I found the same guide, and used it to set up my system. Thunderbird can't attach from a CIFS share, so I ousted it for Evolution, and added google-chrome, compiz, and conky. Now I've got nearly the perfect desktop. Good stuff.

SC23
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HowToForge - Linux Mint 15 (Olivia)

Post by SC23 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Gotta say I didnt install the kitchen sink recommended here.. but I keep going back to that link to look at different software as the need occurs.. been pretty useful.

Return to “Tutorials”