How to fix remote desktop access (RDP) in Linux Mint

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

How to fix remote desktop access (RDP) in Linux Mint

Post by powerhouse » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:15 am

Problem
You try to connect from a Windows computer via remote desktop (RDP) to your Linux Mint desktop and get an error message.

Solution
1. Check that you already have the xrdp package installed on your Linux box - if not install it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xrdp
2. Try to connect via remote desktop. If you get an error like
login successful
error - problem connecting
check the following log file:

sudo tail /var/log/xrdp-sesman.log
3. If you get an
[ERROR] another Xserver is already active on display xx
error, you don't have a VNC server installed.

Install tightvncserver (or another VNC server of your liking):

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
4. Restart your Linux box.

Explanation
xrdp is the daemon that handles RDP remote desktop access from Windows machines to your Linux Mint PC. But it's not enough to install only xrdp - you need a VNC server. Unfortunately it's not automatically installed with the xrdp package.

The error message "error - problem connecting" after a successful login message isn't very helpful either. Searching the Internet can drive you in circles - I wasted at least 2 hours on finding out that I forgot to install the VNC server - ouch.
Asus Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K CPU, 8x4GB Kingston DDR3, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GTX 970 + Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sandisk 120GB + Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD + 4 HDD, Corsair 500R, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS https://heiko-sieger.info

sourcefinder
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to fix remote desktop access (RDP) in Linux Mint

Post by sourcefinder » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Hey Powerhouse, thanks for your post! It helped me out of the RDP problem quickly.

I got the 'error problem connecting'. In my linux mint 17 installation (MATE) there was no file /var/log/xrdp-sessman.log. I just installed the tightvncserver and restarted the system. The result: everything worked. Before that I tried the Vino fi as I was used to do under Linux Mint MATE 13. I don't know if that helped or not. The link: http://apipeandakeyboard.com/2012/05/28 ... t-13-maya/.

kavital
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kavital » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks for the post fixing the connection error problem. I can connect now, but it result with a blank screen and one time I saw the Computer and Home icons with no progress there after.
Any idea?

rwelsh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rwelsh » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:36 am

The black screen issue I solved by setting the client rdp client to 15bit .. Still get an issue when logging on.

cinnamon crashed fallback mode

Im am new to linux and will try to figure out how to solve it. I have linux mint installed on a ESXI 5.5

If anyone can tell me how I can resolve the 15bit so the rdp client ( windows 7 in this case ) and how to to solve cinnamon crashed fallback mode issue

I would be appreciate

thx in adv

rhY
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rhY » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:06 am

FYI xrdp does not like Compiz. Just switched from Compiz back to Marco on a Mate install and xrdp works very well, albeit it seems a little slow. Maybe the lag is from going wifi to router to wifi though. Haven't tested real ethernet or gig e. Will probably do that at work later this week. RDP is about 1,000x better than VNC, and I haven't got any of the other options to work reliably (x2go, nx, ssh -X, etc.). Love to hear from someone else who got a faster remote protocol working well in Mint.

gatorman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gatorman » Sun May 24, 2015 11:23 am

Great job Powerhouse!
Fixed the RDP right away.

I noticed when I remote into the mint OS and attempt to launch virtualbox, the connection drops. Is that a resource issue?

Thanks

Gatorman

powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 am

Sorry, I don't have an answer for the other questions. I wrote this little how-to to help with the specific connection issue I faced and eventually solved.

My personal favorite remote desktop solution is ssh -X, but I'm using that between Linux PCs on a wired Gbit network. Generally I use ssh for remote connectivity and file browsing, except when using Windows where I use RDP and Samba. RDP works nice on Windows. Samba does have its quirks.
Asus Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K CPU, 8x4GB Kingston DDR3, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GTX 970 + Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sandisk 120GB + Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD + 4 HDD, Corsair 500R, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS https://heiko-sieger.info

NorthantsPete
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NorthantsPete » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:32 am

See this is where linux always falls down - its never a one click solution, there is always another step that no-ones told you about. It shoul dbe in big bold letter "You downloaded this, did you want this aswell??"

Granny would never work it out...

jackharvest
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jackharvest » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:03 am

Logged in just to say thank you. This will make like so much easier. :D

powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

jackharvest wrote:Logged in just to say thank you. This will make like so much easier. :D
You're welcome!

oliseo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oliseo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:48 am

NorthantsPete wrote:See this is where linux always falls down - its never a one click solution, there is always another step that no-ones told you about. It shoul dbe in big bold letter "You downloaded this, did you want this aswell??"

Agreed. The learning curve for Linux is steep because there is a good deal of tacit knowledge required that's never made explicit.
It's logical that you need a VNC server otherwise you won't be able to display more than one desktop at a time.

Windows RDP doesn't have this problem because it simply logs whoever is using that machine locally off.

Thanks for the guide. It fixed my problem, and I learned a good deal about the differences of Windows and Linux in the process.

powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:33 am

oliseo wrote:
NorthantsPete wrote:See this is where linux always falls down - its never a one click solution, there is always another step that no-ones told you about. It shoul dbe in big bold letter "You downloaded this, did you want this aswell??"

Agreed. The learning curve for Linux is steep because there is a good deal of tacit knowledge required that's never made explicit.
It's logical that you need a VNC server otherwise you won't be able to display more than one desktop at a time.

Windows RDP doesn't have this problem because it simply logs whoever is using that machine locally off.

Thanks for the guide. It fixed my problem, and I learned a good deal about the differences of Windows and Linux in the process.
I'm glad it fixed the problem. Regarding the post from NorthantsPete, it doesn't deserve being quoted - he's a troll.

Windows has tons of issues that you don't find in Linux. For one, documentation sucks. Then there are zillions of security holes, many of which are not addressed or addressed after a long time.

The average Windows user can bunk up his/her PC in no time. In fact, I can easily install and configure Linux so granny will be happy with it for a long time, without being able to screw things up.

My daughter has a Linux PC - she hardly ever has to turn to me to fix a problem.

My son, a gamer, had a Windows laptop (had because some fan speed utility caused havoc and the laptop couldn't be shut down again - removing the battery fried the circuit board, in short, it's a brick now). Installing Windows 10 on his new desktop PC is a nightmare. And without a linux live stick, I wouldn't have been able to even rescue his personal files (or do you know of a Windows live stick?).

But Linux certainly has its own problems: The issue described in this thread was a new one. Someone changed dependencies and now you have to manually install the missing VNC server. I or you could file a bug report, perhaps someone fixes it in the next update.

Return to “Tutorials”