How to install compiz stable on Linux Mint MATE 16, 17

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this

What version of Compiz do you prefer?

0.8.x (including 0.8.6, 0.8.8, 0.8.9, old and stable branch)
100%
0.9.x (C++ rewrite started in early 2010, currently the version in the repositories)
No votes

Total votes: 1

Odd0002
Level 1
Level 1

How to install compiz stable on Linux Mint MATE 16, 17

Post by Odd0002 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:26 am

Hello, and welcome to my first (public) tutorial! Today we will be installing compiz stable, with instructions based off of the official installation instructions (http://wiki.compiz.org/Installation/Stable) and my own experiences with compiz. Why compiz stable? It's stable, 0.9.x is pretty buggy sometimes, and the newest version of compiz is missing a few plugins that are available in compiz 0.8.x and have not been ported to compiz 0.9.x.

I have split this tutorial up into 5 major steps: installing compiz, installing Emerald, applying correct settings, replacing the current window manager with compiz, and setting compiz to start on login.

These instructions have been tested on and made for Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit), and preliminary tests on Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit), but it should work on xfce and older versions of Linux Mint as well (except for step 5), and probably on many other distributions.

These instructions will NOT work on Gnome3 and its derivatives (including Cinnamon) due to its complete integration and dependence on its own window manager, Mutter.

These instructions are meant to be executed by the user that will be using compiz, NOT as the root user. If your distribution/installation does not let you use sudo, replace all instances of

Code: Select all

sudo command
with

su -c "command"
EDIT: SOME PREVIOUS STEPS HAVE BEEN REMOVED AS A MAINTAINER HAS FIXED THESE PROBLEMS.

Step 1: Compiz Installation

Step 1.1: Install compiz dependencies:

As with all other programs, you need dependencies to compile it, so let's get started!

sudo apt-get install build-essential libxcomposite-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev libsm-dev libxrandr-dev libxdamage-dev libxinerama-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libgconf2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libmetacity-dev librsvg2-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev git autoconf automake automake1.9 libtool intltool libxslt1-dev xsltproc libwnck-dev python-dev python-pyrex libprotobuf-dev
Step 1.2: Download all files needed:

Now that you have all the dependencies, it's time to download the code we'll be compiling!

mkdir compiz && cd compiz
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/compiz/core/ -b compiz-0.8
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/libraries/bcop
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/compiz/compizconfig/libcompizconfig -b compiz-0.8
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/compiz/compizconfig/compizconfig-python -b compiz-0.8
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/compiz/compizconfig/ccsm -b compiz-0.8
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/plugins-main
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/plugins-extra
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/plugins-unsupported
Step 1.3: Compile!

With everything ready, it's time to compile compiz so we can run it.

cd core
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local && ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd bcop
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd libcompizconfig
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd compizconfig-python
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd ccsm
sudo ./setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local
cd ../
cd plugins-main
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd plugins-extra
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd plugins-unsupported
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
Step 1.4: Add compiz library paths

As you could see in the commands above, we have compiled compiz in a different place than default, because that is what the instructions said to do. Therefore, now we have to add the locations of the libraries to our path so that compiz can see and use the libraries it depends on.

sudo su -c "echo /usr/local/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/compiz.conf"
sudo ldconfig
You now have compiz installed! Congratulations! You can go ahead and skip to step 3 or 4 now, but you'll probably want to have a titlebar for your windows, right? Unless you know how to get gtk-window-decorator to work with compiz (I don't), you have to install Emerald to have titlebars. Emerald is a "window decorator" (titlebar and window border generator, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_decoration for more information).

Step 2: Installing Emerald

Step 2.1: Downloading dependencies:

You already have all the dependencies if you installed compiz!

Step 2.2: Downloading needed files:

Time to download the files we're going to compile.

mkdir emerald && cd emerald
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/decorators/emerald
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/decorators/emerald-themes
Step 2.3: Compile!

That was easy! Time to finish up and compile emerald!

cd emerald
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
cd emerald-themes
make -j `nproc`
sudo make install
cd ../
Step 2.4: Add emerald library paths

Like with compiz, emerald was compiled in a different place than default, so now we have to add the locations of the libraries to our path so that emerald can see and use the libraries it depends on.

sudo su -c "echo /usr/local/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/emerald-theme-manager.conf"
sudo su -c "echo /usr/local/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/emerald.conf"
sudo ldconfig

Step 3: Setting configuration

Step 3.1: Compiz settings

We're more than halfway there! Now we have to set up compiz so that it works like it should.

Run ccsm in terminal and enable "Window Decorations", "Move Windows", and "Resize Windows".
Click on the icon for "Window Decorations", and where it says command, type "emerald".
(Optional) enable any other features you might want: "Application Switcher", "Desktop Wall"/"Desktop Cube", and any other ones you want

Step 3.2: (Optional) Emerald theme settings

If you want to change how emerald looks, do this step.

Run emerald-theme-manager in terminal and choose an emerald theme you might want to use.

Step 4: Replace your current window manager with compiz

This step makes sure that compiz is running correctly, by temporarily replacing your current window manager with compiz.

To make sure your install works correctly, run "compiz --replace ccp" in a terminal to replace your current window manager with compiz!

LINUX MINT MATE ONLY: Run "marco --replace" to return to your current window manager.

Step 5: Enable startup

This is an optional step, only use if you want to autostart compiz on login.
So now that you've confirmed that compiz works how you want it to (you HAVE tested it in step 4, right?), it's time to make it autostart when you log in.
CAUTION: THIS STEP HAS ONLY BEEN CONFIRMED TO WORK ON LINUX MINT 16 MATE. IT MIGHT WORK ON OTHER DISTRIBUTIONS, BUT IT IS UP TO YOU TO SET THE CORRECT AUTOSTART SETTINGS IF IT DOES NOT.

gsettings set org.mate.session.required-components windowmanager compiz
echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nType=Application\nExec=compiz --replace ccp\nName=Compiz" > ~/.config/autostart/compiz.desktop
Congratulations! You now have compiz stable installed and running! If you encounter any errors while testing compiz or setting up emerald, try restarting your computer and continuing where you left off. If for some reason your window decorations stop working, you can just run the command in step 4 again.
Last edited by Odd0002 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to install compiz stable on Linux Mint MATE 16

Post by michaelzap » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks for making this tutorial!

I haven't been able to get this to work for me, however. It actually seems a bit worse than the version of Compiz that I installed from Synaptic before. I only saw one error when I was doing this, but that might explain the trouble:

zap@bangarang ~/compiz/libcompizconfig $ patch -p0 < compiz_fix_ctrl.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
patching file src/bindings.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 65.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/bindings.c.rej
Emerald doesn't work for me at all after doing this, and a lot of other things seem to go wacky (CCM doesn't show the modules I've checked after a reboot, the taskbar eventually becomes non-responsive, the notification tray loses some applet icons, etc.). Overall it's just too unstable to use on my system (and having no window borders is definitely a major issue).

I probably won't keep trying to make it work because I was a bit divided about using Compiz anyway. I really only want a nice grid app so that I can tile windows quickly (although I've also always loved Compiz' ring switcher). I'll probably just implement some other solutions for those things and keep my system a bit lighter.

asterus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asterus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:12 am

Oh man... :(

It could be so much easier (as it was up to Mint 14)...

gnwthi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gnwthi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:07 am

Hi

Will this work on mint 16 Cinammon?
I tried to install compiz and load CCSM, but got this message.

f@f ~/compiz/core/emerald $ ccsm
compizconfig - Error: dlopen: /usr/lib/compizconfig/backends/libgsettings.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
compizconfig - Warning: unable to open backend gsettings, falling back to ini
compizconfig - Info: Backend : ini
compizconfig - Info: Integration : true
compizconfig - Info: Profile : default
Loading icons...

whatdo?
unable to customize windows (themes apply to panel and menu only)

Thanks

Odd0002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Odd0002 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:10 pm

I thought I included it in my original post, but it seems I forgot to put the information in. No, these instructions do not work on Cinnamon, as Cinnamon is based on Gnome3, and Gnome3 has no support for external window managers and is tightly integrated with and dependent on Mutter (its own window manager). As I understand it, you would need to modify and recompile Gnome3/Cinnamon to be able to use compiz, as well as modify compiz extensively to support the features that Gnome3 depends on, which might require weeks or months of work. Sorry, but it just isn't possible to use compiz on Gnome3 and its derivatives (like Cinnamon) without much work.

EDIT: Modified original post in response to previous post to clarify that these instructions do not work on Gnome3 and its derivatives.

doomwake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doomwake » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:45 am

Im running mint 16 xfce how would I replace it with compiz on start up? the line of text does not work for xfce

Thanks

ada2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install compiz stable on Linux Mint MATE 16, 17

Post by ada2 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:19 am

Hi,

I followed the description on How to install compiz stable on Linux Mint
MATE 16, 17 with great success, thanks a lot.
Now, I would like to repeat the installation on another computer. Can you
please advise how to make compiz debian packages out of the git sources
situated on the old machine where everything works OK?

Thanks,

zaileion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zaileion » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Installing this on LMDE2 would be great.

I'm not exactly new to Linux but most of what i can do is based on tutorials provided by others, for which i am very grateful. Any help or ideas would be awesome.

Thank you.

zaileion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zaileion » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:18 pm

I noticed a vote at the top this post. I did vote but i'm not exactly sure which one i prefer. since the Compiz that is in the repos is severely limited with no animation add-on's. So i voted for Compiz 8 but let me clarify.

I prefer the Compiz that had composting option in settings manager, as well as animation add-ons. I'm not sure if this would be in the higher 8 versions or the lower 9 versions. The more options the merrier i say...

Really want this on LMDE-2!!!

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by karlchen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:30 pm

I am not quite sure why the user who reported this has not given this answer himself:
Chances that compiz will make its way into LMDE-2 are low because compiz isn't present in Debian, so Clem would have to port it to LMDE-2 himself.

By the way this thread is about Mint 16 and 17, not about LMDE.
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Return to “Tutorials”