How to: Properly use IRC

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
r00t

How to: Properly use IRC

Post by r00t »

1. Connecting to SpotChat
    • Open the Menu and type in "HexChat" and select the single result that comes up. HexChat will automatically connect you to SpotChat and join you to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
    • Alternatively, you can connect to SpotChat via Linux Mint's webchat page. Go to http://community.linuxmint.com/ and in the navigation bar, select Community, and click "Chat Room" and that will automatically join you to #linuxmint-chat
    • You can also use the SpotChat website (http://spotchat.org) but since it doesn't join you automatically to any Linux Mint channels, the two suggestions above are recommended.
  2. Using HexChat.
    • For Kicking/Banning/Mode changes see this pastebin: http://pastebin.com/SD3xB11p
    • Adding/Deleting/Editing Networks:
      1. Start HexChat and (depending on if you have auto connect on or not) it may connect you to SpotChat automatically.
        • If you automatically connect to Network(s) then once it's done connecting, at the top of HexChat, it will have a menu option that says 'HexChat'. Click it, and go to Network List.
        • If you do NOT automatically connect to Network(s) it will open up to the Network List. See step 2.
      2. On the Network List, you will see the Networks your client has configured.
        • Adding a Network:
          1. Click Add
          2. Name the Network whatever you want.
          3. Press ENTER. You MUST do this before doing anything else with the Network, else the name you choose won't be applied.
        • Editing a Network
          1. Select the Network you want to edit.
          2. Click Edit
          3. To edit the domain name of the Network, click 'Edit' at the very top to edit the domain name. Change the domain name to whatever you want, then press ENTER. You MUST do this before doing anything else with the Network, else the domain name you choose won't be applied.
          4. Under the space for domains, there are different settings for connecting to the network automatically, using SSL, and different user information.
        • Deleting a Network
          1. Select the Network you want to delete in the Network List and click "Remove" and it will ask you to confirm. Simple as that!
  3. Using the SpotChat services to their full potential
    • NickServ
      • REGISTER -- To register with NickServ, type:

Code: Select all

/MSG NickServ HELP REGISTER
        in your IRC client. Registering with NickServ will allow you to:
        • Prevent other people from using your Nick.
        • Register Channels.
        • Request a vHost/cloak (custom hostmask).
        • Remove people from the Network who are using your nick.
      • IDENTIFY -- To identify to NickServ, type:

/MSG NickServ IDENTIFY <password>
        in your IRC client, replacing <password> with your actual password, of course.
      • REGAIN YOUR NICK -- If someone is using your nick, you can regain it by typing

/MSG NickServ REGAIN <password>
        into your client, replacing <password> with your actual password, of course. Then:

/NICK <yournick>
        to change your nick.
      • MORE HELP -- For more help with NickServ, type:

/MSG NickServ HELP
        for a list of more commands.
    • ChanServ
      • REGISTER A CHANNEL -- To register a channel with ChanServ, type:

/MSG ChanServ HELP REGISTER
        in your IRC client.
      • ChanServ FLAGS -- To see help with ChanServ flags (A list of who has access in your channel), type:

/MSG ChanServ HELP FLAGS
        in your IRC client.
      • MORE HELP -- For more help with NickServ, type:

/MSG ChanServ HELP
    • HostServ
      • REQUEST A vHOST -- To request a vHost (custom hostmask), type:

/MSG HostServ HELP REQUEST
        in your client.
      • MORE HELP -- For more help with HostServ, type:

/MSG HostServ HELP
Well, I hope that I could be of help to SOME people, at least. Thanks for reading!
yajan

Re: How to: Properly use IRC

Post by yajan »

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Nice work!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:Nice work!
Except it's ancient... 2014.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

catweazel wrote:
MintBean wrote:Nice work!
Except it's ancient... 2014.
Dang... who would have thought the dude before me would resurrect such an old thread for a throwaway comment...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:Dang... who would have thought the dude before me would resurrect such an old thread for a throwaway comment...
It's been happening a lot lately.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

kVIRC is the best client to me, I could drop in some useful commands, but it's pretty much the same thing as in the others, except, remember all those mirc scripts in the late 90's to mid 2000's, well kVIRC is like an mIRC with all the great features people thought of in those scripts added to it and none of the bad.

I like how one can just type /j channel without the hashtag and just /j, same with query, you can do just /q user, /p channel to part..I've been ingrained from 97 to about 2009 (I no longer am an OP somewhere in a room with 30-40 people because I stopped showing up, it's nice to know a room you created in 1998 is still around though!).

One thing to those who wants to connect using ircs:// , meaning ssl IRC, unlike any other client I've seen, probably because it accepts other forms of SSL connections, STARTLS or such, it's in the options, only one server I ever had to go on used that method.

You have to type in the status window '/server -s irc.theserver.org +7000' that being a fictional irc server, I hope anyway heh. The -s parameter is needed, in other clients, like x-chat or back in windows, mirc, if one just types in +6697, +7000 or such, the usual SSL ports, they will guess on the stop they have to connect using SSL, otherwise, no strange annoyances and it is stiil maintained, 4.2.0 is the version most will get from their repos, but one can svn or git in 4.9.1 even if they want to.
Snaffle

Post by Snaffle »

fruitkiller wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:19 am kVIRC is the best client to me, I could drop in some useful commands, but it's pretty much the same thing as in the others, except, remember all those mirc scripts in the late 90's to mid 2000's, well kVIRC is like an mIRC with all the great features people thought of in those scripts added to it and none of the bad.

I like how one can just type /j channel without the hashtag and just /j, same with query, you can do just /q user, /p channel to part..I've been ingrained from 97 to about 2009 (I no longer am an OP somewhere in a room with 30-40 people because I stopped showing up, it's nice to know a room you created in 1998 is still around though!).

One thing to those who wants to connect using ircs:// , meaning ssl IRC, unlike any other client I've seen, probably because it accepts other forms of SSL connections, STARTLS or such, it's in the options, only one server I ever had to go on used that method.

You have to type in the status window '/server -s irc.theserver.org +7000' that being a fictional irc server, I hope anyway heh. The -s parameter is needed, in other clients, like x-chat or back in windows, mirc, if one just types in +6697, +7000 or such, the usual SSL ports, they will guess on the stop they have to connect using SSL, otherwise, no strange annoyances and it is stiil maintained, 4.2.0 is the version most will get from their repos, but one can svn or git in 4.9.1 even if they want to.
Is it better than hexchat? Will look into it. :)
luth3r

Post by luth3r »

Been handling a lot of stress lately so much that I stayed in office for too many long hours and this tutorial made it easy for me to understand and sort out one of my main problem. Thank you!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Handling IRC properly was one of the main problems in your work? :shock:
... Is your company hiring?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Tutorials”