Backup and Restore All Mint Settings

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
tsofras

Re: Backup and Restore All Mint Settings

Post by tsofras »

Hey there, just tried to run the backup script and as mentioned before my backup folder was empty.
I am totally noob with linux and bash, but i got a loot at the script and i saw that at the end there is this line :

rm "$destination$version$Date$ArchiveFormat"

Maybe this is the issue? I saw that the script created a tar in my folder while it was running, but when it finished i suppose it deleted the tar file.

Sorry for my english, not my native language
efkasoft

Post by efkasoft »

I just tried to use the latest version of the backup script, Backup_Linux_Settings_v16beta.sh .

The back-up of the home directory costed much time (a few hours), because of the size of it. So be it.
But after that the back-up of the /etc directory, being rather small, costed again more than an hour, simply because this files are added to the big tar file of 1 TB, which must be opened again.
Then the same occurred with the few separate files to be added to the big tar file.
My suggestion is to use different .tar files for the different parts to back-up (2 or 3 different tar files) and then zip these together.
This saves a couple of hours in executing time.

Unfortunately, finally the zip-process failed, because 7za was not found.

Code: Select all

Compressing the generated *.tar file to 7zip (this can take a while):
Since the backup can contain confidential information, we will now encrypt the backup.
Please chose a password you can remember or leave the password blank if you don't want password protection.
Backup_Linux_Settings_v16beta.sh: regel 180: 7za: opdracht niet gevonden
Compression is finished.
Deleting the temporary folder for storing software lists.
Deleting the temporary tape archive for storing all files, while preserving all owners and rights.
Backup script has finished.
If there were no errors, you can now find a file named >>Linux_Mint_16_Petra_20150109.tar.7zip<< in the folder /media/Linuxbackup/ that includes all your backed up information.
Have a nice day.
Press any key to exit the backup script. 
But the intermediate tar-files were deleted.
Due to this there is nothing back-upped after half a day of processing. :(

I suggest also to check the executability of the 7za before the back-up process starts, to avoid this.
Last edited by efkasoft on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
efkasoft

Post by efkasoft »

Addition to my last post:

The extra zip after the tar, only to password-protect the file, is also not practical for such large amount of data.
The zip process was not yet finished after 12 hours, so I aborted it.

I would suggest to remove this extra process, just to keep the backup/restore process practical on large data amounts.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

Perhaps a stupid question but I have my entire home directory installed on the second HD of my PC
(O.S. is Linux MInt 17.1 MATE). As I understood all these responses correctly (but I am a linux newbee) there is no
necessity to backup settings when I reinstall my Linux Mint on my first HD again?
Analogue man in a digital world

Return to “Tutorials”