Tutorial: How to Sync your Iphone and Ipad with Linux

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
saj.w

Post by saj.w »

1. Make sure libimobiledevice is installed. Most modern Distributions, Like Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Fedora have this pre-installed in the latest versions. If your not sure if it is installed, you can check it in Synaptic Package Manager. If libimobiledevice is not installed, your can either use a package manager like Synaptic or you can use the following command in the Terminal: sudo apt-get install libimobiledevice
2. After installing libimobiledevice, reboot your computer.
3. Go to the App Store on your Apple Device.
4. Download this app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oplayer ... 07472?mt=8 (it's free)
5. Open Oplayer Lite on your Apple Device.
6. Connect your Apple Device with your USB Cable to your computer.
7. Your Apple Device will now connect to your computer.
8. In the File Manager on your computer you will find 2 devices: [1] The Name Of Your Apple Device [2] Documents and then the name of your Apple Device.
9. Click on Documents on [Apple Device Name].
10. You will find some of your apps in the screen.
11. Click on 'OPlayer Lite'.
12. A folder will open.
13. Copy your Music to the OPlayer Lite folder.
14. Disconnect your Apple Device from your computer.
15. Open OPlayer Lite on your Apple Device.
16. Click on File > Documents. Click on the Music you want and enjoy.
17. You can remove files from the app the same way. Connect your Apple Device to your computer and remove the files from OPlayer.
18. You can also Copy photo's from your Apple Device to Your computer. Browse to [name of your Device] > DCIM > 100APPLE.
19. If You need to transfer documents or other data from your Device to your pc, you can go to documents on your Phone and Select the App that contains your data.

See the Attached images for more information. If you have questions, dont hesitate to ask me.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Thank you so much for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pa11av

Re: Tutorial: How to Sync your Iphone and Ipad with Linux

Post by pa11av »

Hi, I have a question regarding this. I recently updated from Linux mint 13 Mate 32 bit to Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32 bit.

My iPhone on iOS7 was working fine with Mate earlier. I could see the "Documents" part and move files within the apps shown there, but in Cinnamon, the iPhone only mounts as iPhone and the documents part is not visible.

I've looked around everywhere and installed the latest libimobiledevice but still I can't see the documents.

Any help?

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by pa11av on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

While I personally despise apple/iphone/ipad, I will admit this is a nice find! Good job! :)
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

This is unfortunately a workaround.
Using this method, the assets will not get into the local itunes store of your ipad/iphone.
This means a lot of software using the itunes store won't find it.

But it IS a WORKING workaround. Kudos and thanks for that.

Connection : USB cable
Tried it with an ipad iOS 7.1.2 ,trying on some other iOS devices soon.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

I'm using Mint 17. My iPad doesn't show up in Dolphin. Any ideas?
koshari

Post by koshari »

pa11av wrote: My iPhone on iOS7 was working fine with Mate earlier. I could see the "Documents" part and move files within the apps shown there, but in Cinnamon, the iPhone only mounts as iPhone and the documents part is not visible.
this is indeed the same issue i are having with 17.1 mate

Return to “Tutorials”