A guide on how to post on the forums

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
r00t

A guide on how to post on the forums

Post by r00t »

1. What those buttons do
(A short explaination of what buttons you can use when posting.)
  • The 'B' button - Makes the text you highlight bold.
  • The 'i' button - Makes the text you highlight italic.
  • The 'u' button - Makes the text you highlight underlined.
  • The 'Quote' button - Makes the text you highlight have a special box around it to signify a quote. Or you can add '="username'" to the tag to show a quote from the user.
    r00t wrote:Like this! In this case I used 'quote="r00t"
  • The 'Code' button - Like quote, it makes the text you highlight have a special box around it.

Code: Select all

Like this!
  • The 'List' button - Makes a unordered list, by default. But if you add '=1' or '=a' to it, it makes a numbered list, or a alphabetical list. Like so:
    1. First do this
    2. Then do this
    1. First do this
    2. Then do this
  • The '[ * ]' button - Signifies a list item for the 'List' button. For the above list, I did this:

[list=1][*]First do this
    [*]Then do this[/list]
    [list=a][*]First do this
    [*]Then do this[/list]
    As you can see, for each item, I put the [ * ] tag in front of it.
  • The 'Img' button - Shows a picture from a website (that fits into the board's size limit). For more information, see 'rimg'
  • The 'URL button - Turns text into a click-able link like https://www.google.com/ But to show just text instead of a URL, do '=url'. For example, this text links to google.com. I made it using this:

[url=https://www.google.com/]this text[/url]
2. When to use them (format buttons, quote tags, code tags and rimg tags)
  • Use the Bold, italics, underline and colors sparingly. Too much of any of them will make your posts and the points you want to get across lose meaning.
  • When using the quote button to quote a long posts, I find it's easier to quote a small section of the post at a time and respond to it (repeat as needed) rather than quoting the whole thing and only talking about a section of it.
  • I love the 'rimg' button because I don't have to worry about resizing the picture manually; it does it for me.
  • Using 'Code' tags makes it a LOT easier to read posts with long output. Not only for the poster, but for the people reading it (making them more willing to help you), and for the moderators to keep the forums tidy. Even if it's not long, but if it's Terminal output (for example) you might want to use the Code tags.
Hopefully this will help users (new and experienced) with posting on the forums.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: A guide on how to post on the forums

Post by Fred Barclay »

Good job! I recommend this guide for stickying.
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

How to post a screenshot from your hard drive:
To take a screenshot of the entire desktop, press the PRINT_SCRN key
To take a screenshot of the open (focused) program window, press ALT+PRINT_SCRN key
To take a screenshot of a small area, press SHIFT+PRINT_SCRN key
The screenshots are saved in the Pictures folder.

To post to the forum:
  1. Rename the screenshot to a simple name. The forum does not accept certain special characters.
  2. Click "Upload Attachment" (below the Repy box) >
  3. Add Files >
  4. Place Inline (after clicking on the location you want)
If you get the warning that the screenshot is too large to upload - (currently the forum limit is about 100kb)
right-click on the folder containing the screenshot > Open In Terminal.
In the terminal, enter this command with the correct ScreenShotName.png and your new name -

convert  ScreenShotName.png -resize 75% NEWname.jpg
If convert does not work, you may have to install imagemagick first.

sudo apt-get install imagemagick
How to post a graphic from imgur.com or other internet source:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&t=186156
Last edited by austin.texas on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:16 am, edited 15 times in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

I wish I had found this page before I was compelled to sound off -- http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 0&t=189314

I knew about bold, italic, underline, url, img etc etc, by experimentation, but just couldn't get lists. Oh, I kinda figured out a bulleted list, but not a numbered one. So I was searching for Numbered Lists in the LM forum. How could I have known to search for "how to post?

Do you think it might be possible to sort and edit all of the tutorials into a single online document or rapid access database?

And what about the old tutorials? The earlies ones are from 2007, and may be out of date. Is there any moderator or tester who handles these tutorials to make sure they work?
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Excellent post r00t! Just added it to my signature line. (Now I finally know how the ordered lists work -- couldn't figure that out before.)

Also, good addition to it for attaching screenshots by austin.texas.

Just going to add slightly more detailed explanation of using the [ code ] button to post terminal output back to the forum. After entering your terminal commands, here is how to copy/paste the output back to the forum.
  • Using mouse, highlight all output in terminal
  • Right-click on the highlighted text and choose "Copy"
  • In forum reply form, click to place cursor on location you want to place the output
  • Then click "Code" button along top of forum interface
  • You'll see two code blocks appear in your reply area that look like this -- [ code ] paste output here [ /code ]
  • Using mouse, right-click between the two blocks and choose "Paste"
  • That preserves the formatting and makes it easier for everyone to read.
Last edited by gold_finger on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Another important tip on forum use:
When your problem has been resolved, go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

After 2 years things have changed a bit. The screenshot instructions could include the Screenshot Utility on Cinnamon. I use it and have a link to it on the panel for instant access.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

The Main Issue is that as a Volunteer Run Forum - - there has to be a Volunteer - - to make those changes.
:o

This is an old Topic - - Now Locked.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Tutorials”