Installing windows after Mint

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
osurshaney
Level 1
Level 1

Installing windows after Mint

Postby osurshaney » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:18 am

I have read the tutorials and how to's and searched the internet but I cannot find a clear explanation of how to install windows after linux mint. I am running Elyssa version 5 8.04 Hardy. I love linux Mint but unfortunately the rest of the world hasn't figured it out yet. I have programs that are not fully compatible yet. My Blackberry Pearl RIM Desktop Manager is an important one. Obviously I need to keep Windows on my computer until everything I need is fully compatible. Is it possible or do I have to re-install windows and then re-install linux after windows? If that's so that is a major pain in the a$$. I was going to try and put my windows installation disk in and see if it will let me add a partition without damaging Mint. But I'm not that lucky. Any help would be nice.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Installing windows after Mint

Postby Husse » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:11 am

Windows does not give a sh-t about other operating systems so it destroys the MBR
The solution is to install Windows and let it destroy the MBR
After that you repair grub. Unfortunately I have not been able to do that in Elyssa, seems that something is broken
Download Supergrub (google for a URL) it's only about 20 MB
Burn to CD and use it to repair grub
A bit messy but much simpler than the alternative
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Tutorials”