Mint 17.X to 21.X and LMDE 6 Full Disk Encryption (directory /boot included) - Using LUKS2, SecureBoot & TPM 2.0+PIN

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 17.X to 21.X and LMDE 6 Full Disk Encryption (directory /boot included) - Using LUKS2, SecureBoot & TPM 2.0+PIN

Post by linux22 »

Last update: 3 December 2023

Hi folks, release Ver. 1.1 of tutorials for LMDE 6 Full Disk Encryption with LUKS2+SECURE^BOOT+TPM2.0+PIN for EXT4 and BTRFS filesystems are now available for downloading.

You can get the tutorials from my Linux Mint Community web page at:

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2438

The zip files are linked at the bottom of the page and are named:
  • Linux Mint Debian Edition LMDE 6 with Full Disk Encryption - UKI - ext4 Version 1.1.zip
  • Linux Mint Debian Edition LMDE 6 with Full Disk Encryption - UKI - btrfs Version 1.1.zip
Cheers.

linux22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last update: 14 November 2023

New tutorial LMDE 6 Full Disk Encryption with LUKS2+SECURE-BOOT+TPM2.0+PIN over BTRFS filesystem.

You can get the tutorial downloading the zip file linked to my Linux Mint Community web page at:

The file is linked at the bottom of the page and is named:

LMDE 6 with Full Disk Encryption - UKI - Btrfs Version 1.0.zip

The tutorial deal with Full Disk Encryption with LUKS2+SECURE-BOOT+TPM2.0+PIN for systems using btrfs filesytems.

The 'dracut' configuration is quite different and now builds and signs all UKI .efi booting files on the fly.

The same 'dracut' configuration will be soon available also for ext4 tutorial, with my last effort for the release of Version 1.1.

Anyway I think that this race for 'Linux FDE' is over for me, now.

I also do not see a great interest from the "Linux World" for the topic of 'Full Disk Encryption'.

I think that going any further is pointless, at least until new security solutions emerge.

Regards.

linux22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last update: 11 November 2023

Coming soon ... LMDE 6 Full Disk Encryption with LUKS2+SECURE-BOOT+TPM2.0+PIN over BTRFS filesystem.

linux22

Last update: 31 October 2023

Hi folks, I am finally ready to publish my tutorial for LMDE 6 Full Disk Encryption with LUKS2+SECURE-BOOT+TPM2.0+PIN.

This solution is quite weird and I do not like it so much but it is the only one working, at the moment.

You know that almost all Debian based distros available today have systemd installed but their support to LUKS2,
SECURE BOOT and TPM 2.0 is quite poor.

At the moment, October 2023, none of the Debian based distros I know can deal with LUKS and/or SECURE BOOT and/or
TPM 2.0 in a reasonable manner.

Have you ever experimented the following ‘crypttab’ related error trying to activate the LUKS2 automatic unlock via TPM 2.0 ?:

cryptsetup: WARNING: sda3_crypt: ignoring unknown option 'tpm2-device'

This error is due to the lack of update for the “initramfs-tools” package modules concerning the TPM 2.0.

So I thought I had to switch forward a solution that has yet implemented some working and useful tools for LUKS2,
SECURE BOOT and TPM 2.0+PIN.

SO WHY NOT TO SWITCH FROM ‘initramfs-tool’ TO ‘dracut’ ?

This way I have finally get rid of systemd-cryptenroll and initramfs, managing to get a functioning unlocking of a Linux Full
Disk Encryption system using a LUKS2+SECURE BOOT+TPM 2.0+PIN chain, at least until we have a working ‘initramfs-tool’
package !!!

This outcome has been possible thank to the new Linux LMDE 6 with kernel version 6.1, systemd version 252 and
‘dracut’ initramfs tools.

You can get the tutorial downloading the zip file linked to my Linux Mint Community web page at:

The file is linked at the bottom of the page and is named:

LMDE 6 with Full Disk Encryption - UKI - Version 1.0.zip

The tutorial pdf file embed 7 txt files, containing the list of all required Terminal commands.
Click on the pin at the top left corner of the pdf file pages 8, 15, 18, 20, 21, 23, 30 to open the txt files.
For more details read page 7 of the tutorial.

The installation process consist of:

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Appendix C
Appendix D

Appendix A and B are for emergency/rescue cases only.

Please send me your evalutions and tell me if this solution works on your workstations.

Cheers.

linux22

Last update: 12 October 2023

Hi folks, I am happy to announce my success in unlocking my Linux Mint Debian Edition LMDE 6 'Faye' with systemd v. 252, enrolling the LUKS2 key and a PIN inside the TPM 2.0 using systemd-cryptenroll.

I think I will release the tutorial explaining the hardware & software configuration within the end of October 2023.

Previous update: 30 December 2022

Hello folks, I am happy to announce my first success in unlocking my Linux FDE Mint 21.1 (Secure Boot On) with systemd v. 249, using systemd-cryptenroll tools.

At the moment it works like 'clevis', without the PIN option introduced in systemd v. 251.

Anyway this is the first time I get it working !

Previous update: 8 May 2021

Hi folks, tutorials "Linux Mint with Full Disk Encryption, directory /boot included - PC UEFI & HDD GPT - Booting with EFI STUB loader" have been updated today. This release include "Appendix F (Experimental) - How to enable LUKS2 AutoUnlock via TPM 2.0". This configuration works similar to Windows Bitlocker. Once correctly configured when you boot-up your PC the unlocking of your Linux FDE system is performed by the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) module, which release the key for automatic unlock of the root LUKS partition, performed by the initramfs scripts (now using 'clevis' Automated Encryption Framework but soon also with the other method from systemd v. 248 and systemd-cryptenroll tool).
The core procedure is explained in about 15 pages, reporting just over fifty terminal commands.
See details at:

Previous update: 19 December 2020

Hi folks, tutorial "Dual boot for Linux Mint 20.X Full Disk Encryption with EFI STUB loader + Windows 10" has been updated today.
See details at:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2191

The other tutorials listed below will be updated as soon as possible:

1) Linux Mint - How to enable UEFI Secure Boot with your own Custom keys on PC UEFI & HDD GPT --------------------------------- Minor changes
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2496

I think I will merge all my tutorials, concerning Linux Full Disk encryption, in one single web page. This process will take place once I will have converted all my tutorials in pdf format files.

Previous Update: 20 July 2020

Hi folks, my old guide/tutorial 'Linux Mint - How to enable UEFI Secure Boot with your own Custom keys on PC with UEFI & HDD with GPT' on Linux Mint Community at: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2360 has been deleted because malfuncioning and not updatable anymore.

The old tutorial has been replaced by this new one: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2496

Hi folks, I was trying to update my guide/tutorial 'Linux Mint - How to enable UEFI Secure Boot with your own Custom keys on PC with UEFI & HDD with GPT' on Linux Mint Community at: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2360 but when I send the update command I get an error and the web page remain unchanged. So I will copy and paste the entire tutorial inside a new one. When ready I will put the new tutorial web page address here.

Release within the end of August 2020.

Hello everyone. I am working on two new solutions for Linux Mint FDE with PC UEFI & HDD GPT.

You can find these new solutions at: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2438

You can download the last versions as tutorials in pdf format from my cloud storage. The links are at the end of the web page.

In this new project I am abandoning the standard boot loader GRUB, replacing it with EFISTUB.

These new solutions have the following PROS and CONS:

PROS:

- VERY FAST BOOTING
- VERY FAST SHUTDOWN
- VERY SIMPLE
- SUPPORT FOR TYPE 2 LUKS PARTITIONS (LUKS2)
- FULL DISK ENCRYPTION (FDE) REQUESTING ONLY ONE PASSWORD AT BOOT-UP
- NO LUKS KEYFILES REQUIRED
- WITHOUT OR WITH LVM (FOR ENABLING HIBERNATE FUNCTION)
- NO MORE HEADACHE FOR GRUB UPDATING AND/OR UPGRADING
- WORKS (WITH MINOR CHANGES) ALSO ON LINUX 32-BIT SYSTEMS (TESTED ON VIRTUAL MACHINES ONLY)

CONS:

- POINTLESS AND/OR DANGEROUS FOR FULL DISK ENCRYPTION (FDE) SYSTEMS IF SECURE BOOT IS DISABLED
- POOR CONFIGURATION OPTIONS (COMPARED TO GRUB)
- NOT COMMON / NOT STANDARD
- NEED GREATER EFI PARTITION SIZE (MINIMUM RECOMMENDED SIZE 1GB)

Please post here your opinion about this my new idea.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hi folks, great news. Our concerns for an easy, standard and reliable FDE solution may be over, because LMDE 3 is out and it implements an FDE solution very similar to that indicated in my last tutorial at http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2061. This solution can be activated by installing the distro with Calamares (an indipendent installer framework, available from the menu of the distro) and selecting its build-in FDE encryption function. If the installation with Calamares will become available as standard on all versions of Linux Mint we will have an easy, standard and reliable FDE solution available without further efforts. The same FDE solution is also available on distro Manjaro and it seems that it will be available with the new releases of Debian !!! (unluckily at the moment in Debian Live Testing it does not work)

Hello everyone, the promised new Debian method for the implementation of FDE (directory /boot included) with the standard cryptsetup package (version 1.7.3 and above) for Mint 19.X is ready (at the moment only for UEFI+GPT: ).

I have already tested this new configuration with Debian 9.3.0 and above, Ubuntu from 17.10 to 18.X, and now with Mint 19.X. It seems working smoothly.

The new configuration will not use LVM and will be working only with Debian and Debian-derived (Ubuntu, Mint, ecc.) distros equipped with cryptsetup version 1.7.3 and above.

You can read my guide/tutorial 'Linux Mint with Full Disk Encryption, directory /boot included - PC with BIOS & HDD with MBR' on Linux Community at: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2026

You can read my guide/tutorial 'Linux Mint with Full Disk Encryption, directory /boot included - PC with BIOS & HDD with GPT' on Linux Community at: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2231

You can read my guide/tutorial 'Linux Mint with Full Disk Encryption, directory /boot included - PC with UEFI & HDD with GPT' on Linux Community at: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2061 (This works only for Linux Mint 19 Tara and Ubuntu 17.10 and above)

You can read my guide/tutorial 'Linux Mint - How to enable UEFI Secure Boot with your own Custom keys on PC with UEFI & HDD with GPT' on Linux Mint Community at: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2496

You can read my guide/tutorial for 'Dual boot for Windows 10 + Linux Mint 17.X and 18 Full System Encryption (directory /boot included) - PC with UEFI & HDD with GPT' on Linux Mint Community at: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2191

Please feedback me if you succeed in installing and running Linux Mint using these solutions.

Thank you.
Last edited by linux22 on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:40 am, edited 115 times in total.
Dupo

Re: Mint 17.1 Full Disk Encryption (directory /boot included

Post by Dupo »

Hi,

I used another method. I created the LVM on the hard disk or on the SSD, the boot partition is on an external USB key, and the decryption key is also on the same USB key for LVM. At startup, the LVM is decrypted automatically.

I will try your solution. Thanks. :wink:
davschm

Re: Mint 17.1 or 17.2 Full Disk Encryption (dir. /boot inclu

Post by davschm »

Could anyone point me to instructions like this, but ones that leave the boot partition unencrypted?
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 17.1 or 17.2 Full Disk Encryption (dir. /boot inclu

Post by linux22 »

davschm wrote:Could anyone point me to instructions like this, but ones that leave the boot partition unencrypted?
Hello, if you need a Linux Mint installation with FDE and directory /boot unencrypted you can simply choose the standard Ubiquity installation with LVM and disk encryption.

But in this way your entire HDD will be overwritten. If you want to freely choose the partitions for your Linux Mint FDE installation (with directory /boot unencrypted) take a look at this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Encry ... iaUbiquity.

That was my first step for Linux Mint FDE and it is also the first item in my tutorials's useful links list.

Regards.

linux22
Art-WooD

Re: Mint 17.1 17.2 17.3 Full Disk Encryption(dir./boot included)

Post by Art-WooD »

Hi Linux22,

thank you a lot for your great howto on encryption. I have used it with success, but with little changes.
I have two hard disks, one SSD and one HDD. The / is on the SSD an remains unencrypted and the HDD contains /home, /var, /tmp and swap and is fully encrypted.
The only problem is now, that on boot the encrypted HDD is encrypted automatically by the keyfile.
Do you know how to change this setup in the way to enter the password instead of using the keyfile to encrypt the volume?
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linux22 »

Hello, Art-WooD,

you only need to modify your /etc/crypttab file.
Set your volumes like that: sdbX_crypt UUID=xxx-yyy-zzz none luks
When you set none in the 3rd position of these lines the system will ask for the password at start-up.
Remember that you will be asked for the password of every volume listed in your crypttab file.

Regards.

linux22
itc

Post by itc »

Hello linux22,

thanks for great tutorial. I will use this tutorial to encrypt my company notebook, but I would like to remove "Attempting to decrypt master key... Enter passphrase for(..)" information which appears during boot encrypted system - it will be perfect if instead of this information could be a black screen, some own information, or for example "-" character. Please, can you tell how to do this?

Best redards,
itc

EDIT:
Recently I've installed Linux MInt 17.3 using your tutorial. On my laptop (CPU Intel T7300, SSD, 4GB RAM) everything works well, maybe a little slower than without encryption. Till this moment I haven't noticed any freeze on mint logo during booting. In /boot/grub/grub.cfg I've changed locale from en_US to pl_PL, but this don't change "Attempting to decrypt master key... Enter passphrase for(..)" information - only after entering a correct password to encrypted disk, when GRUB system list are loaded, selected language appears. Still seeking how to change this.
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linux22 »

Hello itc, I have read your message.

I think that if you want to remove the prompt "Attempting to decrypt master key... Enter passphrase for(..)" you must modify some GRUB package files.
My advice is to leave them untouched because a little mistake can turn your system unbootable and require a new GRUB package installation.

When you encrypt your system it slow down by an amount variable from 15% to 30%. Your system will slow down especially when you make an intensive use of HDD read and write, because every write operation must be encrypted and every read operation must be decrypted, all on the fly.

I have experimented the system freeze only sometimes, specially when you install your Linux FDE aside a Windows system, or when you stress your PC with a lot of installations and un-installations (on machine devoted for development).

You must choose your correct language during the Ubiquity installation.

Regards.

linux22
CallumCameron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CallumCameron »

Hi,

I tried this with the Mint 18 Cinnamon beta in VirtualBox, and with a few minor tweaks it worked perfectly. Thanks! :)

Here's what I changed:
  • If you start Ubiquity using

Code: Select all

sh -c 'ubiquity -b gtk_ui'
    from the terminal, rather than using the launcher on the desktop (the '-b' flag is the extra part compared to what the launcher does), it won't try to install the bootloader at all, and so won't crash. This is actually quite important, since the installer does other things after installing the bootloader, which won't get done at all if it crashes (at the very least, apt-get's sources are messed up if the installer crashes).
  • The patched '00_header' file is no longer needed on Mint 18 - that bug seems to have been fixed upstream.
  • Since Ubiquity isn't handling the bootloader any more, it doesn't know which packages you will need. On a UEFI system, you have to run

sudo chroot /mnt apt-get update
    and

sudo chroot /mnt apt-get -y install grub-efi
    before modifying /etc/default/grub. (On BIOS systems the packages Ubiquity provides are fine.)
I also wrapped all this up in a script which automates as much as possible (i.e. all the shell commands), and guides the user through all the parts that can't be automated: https://github.com/CallumCameron/mint-encrypted-install. The script handles all four versions of the tutorial, and the repo also has scripts for fixing the bootloader if you can no longer boot (i.e. the 'emergency tools' appendix). Maybe it might be useful to link to this repo from the tutorials?

I have tried the BIOS and UEFI configurations in VirtualBox alongside Windows 10, and also with multiple Linux installations inside the encrypted container - and all worked fine. Hopefully I'll be using it on my real machine soon, too, when the final version of Mint 18 comes out.

Thanks,
Callum
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linux22 »

Hello CallumCameron, I have read your post and I am happy about your success installing my Linux Mint FDE solutions.

I also have tested them with Mint 18 Beta and it seems working well, but the update of my tutorials will be available
only with the release of the definitive Mint 18 edition.

Until now I have choosed to not provide a script because a little mistake during the input of the devices involved can
lead to great damages on the HDDs of real PCs.

Regards.

linux22
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linux22 »

Hello CallumCameron, I have read your scripts and I think you have done a great work.

I think I will test them within the end of summer, with the release of the new Linux Mint 18.

As I said I am still hesitant in providing a script for the automation of the Linux Mint FDE solutions.

You know that a little mistake during the input of the HDDs devices can lead to great damages on real PCs.

Thank you for your work and for your advices.

Regards.

linux22
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 17.X and 18 Full Disk Encryption(dir./boot included)

Post by Trapper »

I just stumbled upon your FDE (including boot) community pages this AM. I have been using FDE with unencrypted boot partition for several years now. Decided to give you tutorial a try with LM 17.2 and the MBR scenario. Following the steps given I had a successful install. Thanks very much for providing us with these nice tutorials.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

I need to add something here. The reason why I did my install with LM 17.2 rather than LM 18 is because of a problem I encountered while attempting to install LM 18. Actually I also encountered that problem with LM 17.2 but your routine did complete and work with LM 17.2. I am wondering if I've missed reading something somewhere. ???

While doing the ubiquity install portion of your routine I get a grub install to sda error. In LM 18 that error negates doing anything further. With LM 17.2 I can close the error message and then select to not install grub in a popup box. From there I was able to continue with your routine and when I got to to the manual grub-install part grub did install to sda in LM 17.2. I attempted this full howto several times. Each time ubiquity produced the sda grub installation error.

On the same drive I did a standard non-encrypted install of LM 18 and it installed normally and installed grub to sda. I also did a FDE install with unencrypted boot and grub installed to sda correctly.

I find nothing in ubiquity that allows me to run an install without selecting a grub installation point.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Trapper wrote: I find nothing in ubiquity that allows me to run an install without selecting a grub installation point.
After doing some further research, starting ubiquity with:

sh -c 'ubiquity -b gtk_ui'&
seems to have resolved this issue.
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linux22 »

Hello Trapper, I come back from a long holyday and I have read your message now.

I am happy about your success installing these FDE solutions.

Please feed me back about your further activity with these FDE solutions.

Regards.

linux22
Grabow

Re: Mint 17.X and 18 Full Disk Encryption (directory /boot included)

Post by Grabow »

Thanks a lot linux22 for the great tutorial, I used it and had no problems whatsoever. Everything runs smoothly and I hope it will for a long time.

You write that people with suggestions concerning the tutorial can reach you here. My suggestion is to include a link to this thread :D

In the tutorial you mention that recovery/emergency advice is especially sought by people who are "upgrading their Linux version with the latest release or they are installing software packages that modifies GRUB and its configuration files".

Now I am trying to extract the advice for me what I can do to prevent this from happening.

First I will not install newer releases. That should be easy.

Second you mention software that modifies GRUB and its configuration files. How do I identify such a software before installation? Which programs are known for causing this problem?

What about the update manager, how do I know which updates I can install from there?

Are there other limitations when using the system?
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linux22 »

Hello Grabow, I am sorry for my delay answering your questions. In fact I login in this forum rarely.
I think that your idea for including this thread in my tutorials is good.

I said that a system update/ugrade can modify the GRUB configuration and lead to an unbootable system.
In the past I have experimented a few cases where that happened, expecially when I was UPGRADING the system, i.e. switching from Mint release 17 to release 18. In fact, lately, I have not had problems UPDATING my system, i.e. installing the new version packages.

There are also some software packages that modify the GRUB configuration files. About one year ago a user wrote a post to me claiming that his GRUB configuration resulted corrupted after the installation of Xen ? (I do not remember well and the post text was lost during the last year Linux Mint servers hacking).

Anyway you can recover your GRUB configuration using the specific Appendix "Emergency tools - How to reinstall GRUB after ..." of my tutorials.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards.

linux22
gurtz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gurtz »

Hi linux22,

Thanks for the fantastic tutorial! It was extremely helpful.

I have a few question:

If I enter my password incorrectly, I will immediately be taken to the "grub rescue>" prompt. Is this what I should expect (rather than another chance to enter the password correctly)? Is there any security risk with someone having access to the grub console at this point?

Also, I realized recently that I had the incorrect volume group name in /mnt/etc/default/grub. I had "sda1_crypt", but it should have been something else (since I used different naming). It seemed to work anyway. Does the volume group name used in this file make any difference? How is it used? (I'm struggling to understand what GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX is for.)

sudo sed -i 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=\/dev\/sda1:sda1_crypt"/' /mnt/etc/default/grub

Thanks again!
linux22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linux22 »

Hello gurtz, I have read your post. I suppose you have installed this FDE solution on a PC with BIOS and HDD with MBR.

If I enter my password incorrectly, I will immediately be taken to the "grub rescue>" prompt. Is this what I should expect (rather than another chance to enter the password correctly)? Is there any security risk with someone having access to the grub console at this point?

Yes, if you enter the wrong password you must restart your PC. You can also enter the grub console but without the correct password you can not open the LUKS volume.

Also, I realized recently that I had the incorrect volume group name in /mnt/etc/default/grub. I had "sda1_crypt", but it should have been something else (since I used different naming). It seemed to work anyway. Does the volume group name used in this file make any difference? How is it used? (I'm struggling to understand what GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX is for.)

No, your syntax is correct. The GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX use its own syntax, required for GRUB (for more detail see the useful links).
For more detail concerning GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX see https://askubuntu.com/questions/575651/ ... ux-default.

Regards.

linux22
gurtz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gurtz »

Thank you for the reply! That makes sense.

Return to “Tutorials”