How-To-Install [WIRESHARK]

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
HYDROXPH
Level 1
Level 1

How-To-Install [WIRESHARK]

Post by HYDROXPH » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:48 am

This will allow nonroot users to have access to the wlan and lan interfaces in wireshark to capture packets.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install wireshark
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common 
$ sudo usermod -a -G wireshark $USER
Logout and log back in for the settings to take effect.

Enjoy! :D
ASUS P43E Running: LM17.2 - Cinnamon (64-bit)
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How-To-Install [WIRESHARK]

Post by Silver Surfer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks to those who responded to my “Wireshark” post this time.
Particular thanks to Trytip, who hit the nail on the head with why I thought it may be useful:- I have watched your “Youtube link” which illustrated the very things I was hoping to be able to protect my computer from. Whilst it seems my “Geriatric Brain” may not be able to cope with “Wireshark” that even though it’s not the ultimate answer, it may help to have “Privacy Badger” running on my Firefox browser, which I have now installed.
Yes! I know it’s not going to be the ultimate solution but every little helps against those pesky “Spys”.

Hi phd21, as in so many times in the past you have come to my aid. As you can see from the above post on “Wireshark”, my interest was just trying to make my computer a little safer on the Net.

Thanks again to all the respondents to my post. Your comments will all be saved for further reference. I will experiment further.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice LM KDE 18.1 Serena on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Plus Acer 5920G 32bit Laptop. Linuxmint KDE 18.3 Sylvia, 250Gb HDD Intel core 2 Duo processor T7300, 2Gb RAM.

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How-To-Install [WIRESHARK]

Post by Silver Surfer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 am

Hi HYDROXPH
Thanks for your response, however as I have already got "Wireshark" installed on my Linuxmint computer, do I still have to write the first line of your suggested terminal code, or just write the second and third line, or do I uninstall my current version, and write the whole of your terminal instructions.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice LM KDE 18.1 Serena on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Plus Acer 5920G 32bit Laptop. Linuxmint KDE 18.3 Sylvia, 250Gb HDD Intel core 2 Duo processor T7300, 2Gb RAM.

Return to “Tutorials”