Adding Microsoft fonts to LibreOffice Writer

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Adding Microsoft fonts to LibreOffice Writer

Post by br1anstorm »

This is not so much asking a question as passing on what I hope may be some useful information.

I recently installed Linux Mint on my laptop in dual boot with Windows 7. I need to create, or work with, Word documents (.docx) produced in Microsoft Office. I have discovered that LibreOffice is usually OK with that, and can open and save documents in either .docx or .odt format (although sometimes layout goes a little peculiar when shifting from one to the other).

But one big headache has been that LibreOffice does not include many of the fonts most commonly used in Word documents. I have just learned that many of the Word default fonts are unique to Microsoft - like Arial, Calibri, and Times New Roman, to name but three which I have been accustomed to using regularly. Although created by Microsoft, they can be used in other software.

I went looking for guidance on how to add fonts into LibreOffice, and found several sites which went into great detail about searching for font-packages on the internet or from Ubuntu repositories and then using the terminal to put them into your .fonts folder. All very complicated.

Then I came across an article on the PC World website at http://www.pcworld.com/article/2863497/ ... uites.html. This explains very clearly and simply how, if you have a dual-boot setup, to use Linux to go and find the Windows fonts from the Windows drive. Then you just double click and choose install. Couldn't be easier!

I hope this is useful to others who, like me, want to use different (and Microsoft) fonts.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Adding Microsoft fonts to LibreOffice Writer

Post by jimallyn »

You could also just use ttf-mscorefonts-installer, which is in the repositories and can be installed with Synaptic or Software Manager.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

jimallyn wrote:You could also just use ttf-mscorefonts-installer, which is in the repositories and can be installed with Synaptic or Software Manager.
Ah, if only I had known that! Might have been even quicker than searching, selecting and installing specific MS fonts from my Win7 drive partition.

If I now download that whole package via Synaptic, will the fact that I have already installed some of those fonts directly confuse matters and cause the package-install to mess up? Or will the Synaptic package be clever enough to see and avoid any conflict with the limited number of MS fonts that I have already installed?
vrizov

Post by vrizov »

Hi,
nothing will be messed up. Don't worry :)
Just open terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Then you should press "yes" to accept EULA and everything should be fine.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Just a quick note to say thanks to vrizov for the reassurance. I have now downloaded that font package, and all is well!
juicer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by juicer »

Thank you.
Saved me a ton of time.
Water invented man as a means of transportation.

Return to “Tutorials”