How-To-Install [NETFLIX]

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
HYDROXPH

How-To-Install [NETFLIX]

Post by HYDROXPH »

This will allow you to watch netflix on Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa) and should also work on (Rafaela)

First add repo: COMPHOLIO

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
1.) First install.

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
2.) Then install..

sudo apt-get install wine
Once wine is finished being installed... "Mono" and "Gecko" will automatically be installed shorty after.

3.) Finally install...

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
Reboot for setting to take effect!

Enjoy! :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How-To-Install [NETFLIX]

Post by xenopeek »

Note that Wine can also run Windows malware; https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Wine_is_malware-compatible. If that is an unacceptable risk you can just install Google Chrome and use that to watch Netflix.

(Download the .deb file from for your architecture from https://www.google.com/chrome/ and double-click the downloaded file in your file manager to launch the installer.)
baldrick.777

Post by baldrick.777 »

Whilst both of these solutions work for Netflix, particularly using Chrome, there will be occasions where users will also want to access other ondemand streams for which neither option will work.

For instance, here in NZ we have two national TV broadcasters which both appear to use different settings with flash, meaning Chrome may work for one, but not the other. The same goes for with HAL | FreshPlayer | compholio, etc...

I have found the best ondemand all-rounder is to use Windows Firefox under wine (potential security risks noted).

The easiest way to do this is...

sudo apt-get install playonlinux
Playonlinux provides an intuitive front-end to wine. Once installed and opened, you can go to the Internet tab and choose to download and install the latest Windows version of Firefox. You can then watch any ondemand service that currently works within Firefox for Windows. It'll even offer the opportunity to download an install both flash and shockwave for Firefox (you need to click yes to both).

For my own convenience, I've renamed the Windows version of Firefox to 'TV OnDemand' and placed it in my favourites menu and on the panel. I've also installed a Firefox speed dial as my homepage with all the ondemand services I access.

So I use Windows Firefox through Playonlinux for all ondemand services, incl. Netflix, and native Firefox for anything/everything else. Cool, eh?

Hope this helps someone like me end this struggle.
ripleycon

Post by ripleycon »

Try this while it's current. Neither of the above methods worked for my new installation of Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 32-bit (with no way to install latest Chrome browser that is only 64-bit).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... for-linux/

Hope it helps. :D
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

On Debian Sid i run Isadora (Linux Mint 9) on VirtualBox. I can not only watch any video stream that's available but can also save it from where it loads in /tmp folder. Incidentally, it seems to have taken care of the total freeze issue when streaming videos on Debian, doesn't heat up the CPU and uses less resources.
Watching 'In order of disappearance':
http://imgur.com/a/Gdwqa
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Another (better IMO) solution:
In firefox preferences->content->enable DRM content (tick the box)
Add a user agent switcher addon to Firefox and set it to identify as if Firefox was Chrome (hopefully Netflix will fix this soon and this step won't be necessary.)
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

MintBean wrote:Another (better IMO) solution:
Or...
run Chrome 32bit, maybe even in Firejail.
It's not like Chrome 32 bit stopped working at Netflix.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Habitual wrote:It's not like Chrome 32 bit stopped working at Netflix.
You forgot, Google Chrome is no longer available for 32 bit: PSA: Google Chrome drops support for 32 bit and Mint 13
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

xenopeek wrote:
Habitual wrote:It's not like Chrome 32 bit stopped working at Netflix.
You forgot, Google Chrome is no longer available for 32 bit: PSA: Google Chrome drops support for 32 bit and Mint 13
I have not. If a user has downloaded it once, it likely still can be found in somewhere in /var/cache/apt/...
If they've ever run apt-get clean, it is gone.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

For any Firefox users who watch Neflix: Please consider supporting the Linux community by giving Netflix a call and asking for Firefox support. Their usual line is that they are working on implementing support, but it really is only a case of them accepting a Firefox user agent string so you don't have to spoof it. This is a couple of lines of code at most, so should be a very quick fix. The more people that request it, the more likely it is they pull their finger out.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Habitual wrote:I have not. If a user has downloaded it once, it likely still can be found in somewhere in /var/cache/apt/...
Missing 10 months of security fixes. It is not suitable for every day use.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<moderator off> Split kerry87's support request off from this tutorial thread. New thrread: here </moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Tutorials”