Installing Samba Server in Mint 18

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing Samba Server in Mint 18

Post by altair4 »

So how do I remove or change the entry? The file is read only.
It's read only to you not to root so edit the file as root:

Code: Select all

gksu xed /etc/samba/smb.conf
Make the change and save the file.

Then restart smbd:

sudo service smbd restart
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
HotChipsColdBeers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HotChipsColdBeers »

Hi guys. I've come across some samba issues, and lately the biggest one is the credential lock out one. I cant seem to authenticate against the samba server whatsoever. I've made sure the password in smbpasswd -a username was correct, and all the usual settings were correct but suddenyl nothing is working. Did an update come through that changed some settings?

I've set the unix permissions to 777 (just to be sure) and allowed guest access in smb.conf. Here's a sample of a share

[Images]
comment = Storage of system files and applications
path = /mnt/store3/Images
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 2776
directory mask = 2776
write list = myname
valid users = myname

I set the masks to 2 due to an issue that used to crop up and this fixed it.

I even used webmin to parse the shares to make sure they were syntactically correct.

Again, my main issue being I cant even authenticate against the server for smereason in order to access these shares. This is occurring on two seperate servers on two differant networks.

Thanks for any input.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This HowTo is about installing the required packages to enable a samba server. It has nothing to do with using it.

Since it's inception Mint has always installed the samba server packages by default. That changed in Mint18. In Ubuntu samba is installed when needed automatically if the user uses the file manager to create samba shares but Mint doesn't do that either. That is the only purpose of this HowTo.

I would suggest starting a separate topic with your question. You might want to post the output of the following command so the folks here can see how the whole server is set up:

testparm -s
BTW, You are not allowing guest access to your share since "valid users = myname" overrides "guest ok = yes".
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
HotChipsColdBeers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HotChipsColdBeers »

No worries.

Read all the other guides, couldn;t figure out why I couldn't access and my user/pass failed to authenticate which was a problem that popped up only since this version of Mint, and only more recently.

And for whatever reason, it's working now after I completly removed all samba file and configs and reinstalled. going to put it down to some sort of update issue. Using the same settings. That option you mentioned with the override shouldn't lock you out from viewing, if the user 'myname' is the user trying to authenticate? It's never been an issue before where I applied that. Thanks for the heads up.
entr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by entr »

Any idea why fields and button are disabled / grayed out?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

entr wrote:Image

Any idea why fields and button are disabled / grayed out?
No I do not. I can disable the last option ( guest access ) by mucking about with smb,conf but I can't make it look like yours.

Are you running Cinnamon or Mate?
entr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by entr »

18.1 Cinnamon, fresh install + the packages mentioned above here.
observativetiger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by observativetiger »

@altair4 Instructions work on 18.1 and samba is up and working for me on a fresh Cinnamon install. Thank you for your posts that help us all.
@entr I'm getting the same result as altair4 on the grayed out boxes, they are not grayed out on mine.
The most complex things are simply explained.
LM18 Cinnamon 64 on HP14 Chromebook Falco

Return to “Tutorials”