[Tutorial] Live usb with persistence over 4GB

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Tutorial] Live usb with persistence over 4GB

Post by pbear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 pm

This came up in a couple of threads recently, so I decided to give mkUSB a whirl. Having done it both ways, I'd say they're pretty similar in terms of difficulty. And both work. On the whole, though, I agree with Spearmint2 that mkUSB is a better choice. Was developed by senior Ubuntu guru sudodus (Nio Wiklund) to do precisely this task and is now on version 12 ("dus"). Also, unlike MultiSystem, mkUSB can be installed to a live session, making this the only feasible method of which I'm aware to create a persistent Linux drive greater than 4 GB with a Windows machine.

Anyhoo, Linux is all about choice. As this is a tutorial, I thought it would be helpful to jot down the steps. Here is the path I found works best.

1. Install app. There are several options, but this is adequate for a single user looking for the current version:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mkusb usb-pack-efi
2. Install to USB. Start app from Menu: System Tools (or type mkusb in Terminal), then select option “d” (for 12). Enter sudo password. Acknowledge overwrite warning. Select install, then ‘Persistent live’. Navigate to select source ISO; select target drive from list; “Use defaults” for drive settings. Select % of remaining space for persistence (I use 95%). Read warnings. Double check installation target. Hit “Go”. Confirm proceed even though not installing Ubuntu. For a nice walkthrough with screenshots, see answer by user Harsh halfway down this askubuntu page, starting with “I would like to expand on the answer … “.

3. Cleanup. The reason I only use 95% of the remaining space for the persistent partition is that I want to leave room for wear leveling. Quit mkUSB, open GParted and delete the usbdata partition on the USB drive (space becomes unallocated). Also, sudodus doesn't mention anything about not mounting the persistent partition, but I follow Laurent85's advice and disable automount for an mkUSB persistent drive (for "how to" in Mate, see here).

That should work for most folks. For more information, see official website (same link as Spearmint2 gave above), especially the discussion of persistence, the Quick Start Manual, and an omnibus thread on the app sudodus maintains on the Ubuntu Forum.

BTW, a large persistent drive has useful applications, but I still think the better solution for most situations is full install to USB hard drive.

[Edited to clarify link to askubuntu page.]
Last edited by pbear on Wed May 30, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Sat May 19, 2018 8:35 pm

I already have LM18.3x on pendrive. Where do I start, in the tutorial, to put persistence on the flashdrive? Or..can I? [Sandisk Cruiser 8Gb-2.0] running "live" Comp-- Dell OptiPlex 7040 w/ Win7 O.S.

:twisted: Rick

pcfan5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pcfan5 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:09 am

69Rixter wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:35 pm
I already have LM18.3x on pendrive. Where do I start, in the tutorial, to put persistence on the flashdrive? Or..can I? [Sandisk Cruiser 8Gb-2.0] running "live" Comp-- Dell OptiPlex 7040 w/ Win7 O.S.

:twisted: Rick
Hello, check this viewtopic.php?f=42&t=229086#p1397258,
if you got your LM 18.3 with multisystem you are able to open that app and continue from here (this is taken from the link above) :

"Create Live usb with persistence:
insert the usb flash drive, Linux Mint should mount available partitions automatically. If you configured Linux Mint to handle removeable drives differently then mount the FAT32 partition (click on said partition).
launch Multisystem and select usb flash drive partition to use. On first launch Multisystem will initialize the partition, follow the steps suggested regarding the label and grub.
from main screen install Linux Mint iso image
click the eye icon to make appear advanced options
left click linuxmint-18-cinnamon-64bit.iso, then press the pen icon to edit boot options.
Left click iso image entry and enter option persistent, press Backup button to save boot options.
Note that for an unknown reason when returning to boot options persistent does not appear but was properly saved.

You can check if necessary:
select Menus tab > GRUB settings > grub.cfg > search for word persistent 
Should appear line starting with linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz persistent...
Done."

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Thu May 24, 2018 3:51 pm

RE: Everyone Replying To This Thread

Appreciate all the info! A lot to digest but that's what's it's all about. Especially thankful none of you went "off" and started ranting about how STUPID it is to want a portable Linux O.S. on a pendrive. Look around at some of the other forums and see the rants some folks have posted. I've gotten a lot of censure for "informing those unenlightened" plebes of their immaturity and ignorance. So, KUDOS to all for "gabbing" this "bull-by-the-horns". My only question now is whether to install the O.S. on a flashdrive, or use the method prescribed in this thread. Leaning towards the "live" w/ persistence.

Keep Up The Good Work

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Don't know why anyone would think it's stupid, if the USB flashdrive is a fast one. You can pull it out, keep it elsewhere, and also use on any other computer you need to access, even if some things on other computer just might not work (wifi, touchpad, some graphics)
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:55 pm

RE: spearmint2

Couldn't agree more, but it was said..."unenlightened and ignorant", just about sums it up.

Everyone:

Damn...still having problems getting persistence. Can't figure it out (yet), but here's the scenario: Started with LM 18.3x on the pendrive. Went through steps to add persistence, but then, it wouldn't "boot". I have some thoughts, but truly, am not sure what's going on. Which brings up another problem. I cannot get gparted to make an extended partition. Well, you may see where I'm going with this. If not, request clarification. For whatever reasons, I have to use Rufus for it's the only "installer" I've found that allows the O.S. to operate correctly/...as it should! Guess there's a UEFI issue(?) I used this video as a template to install the persistence and it failed(wouldn't boot).--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLoYBobVpO0, thus, my question about extended partition. i.e. I think if I can make an extended partition and put casper-rw & swap on/in partition within the LM O.S. partition, maybe things will work?????
Thanx to all who've responded.

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:21 pm

RE: Laurent85

Gawd....how I wished this would work. It didn't. Failed at sudo apt-install multisystem: E: unable to locate package multisystem NEXT?

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 pm

HI 69Rixter,

In addition to installing the superb "multisystem" using their Repository, you can also use their Linux deb files.

Link to download MultiSystem 64-bit Linux deb file, save file and double-click to install (04-23-2018)
http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/d ... 23_all.deb

Link to download MultiSystem 32-bit Linux deb file, save file and double-click to install (04-23-2018)
http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/d ... 23_all.deb

Hope this helps...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:14 am
I found something that works for me.

mkusb
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

https://calvin.me/create-persistent-ubu ... boots-ram/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/pictures

This is the install file for it, showing the process it goes through to create 64 bit LIVE with a partition persistence.

It also puts in a backup and restore shell program one can use. Can use for UEFI install, or 64 bit install on MBR.
Not so sure this is a good idea for it states "Warning about overwriting the target device mkusb will 'use the whole device', actually only the head end (size of the iso file), but the rest of the device is not available." Can't be wastin' an entire 16GB pendrive.
THANX

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:49 am
persistent partitions quit working after 17.2 unless someone fixes a bug in the newest casper which is in 17.3, where you can ONLY use a persistent file and limited to 4GB.
Spearmint: Has this changed yet?
Rick

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi 69Rixter

I have always been able to create a USB sticks with greater than 4gb of persistent space using "MultiSystem" and the instructions in the beginning of this post for every edition and version of Linux Mint through 18.3.

But, if you have a nice large USB stick of 16gb or more, then just install the full version of Linux Mint which has all the security features enabled.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 pm

phd21 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:54 pm
Hi 69Rixter

I have always been able to create a USB sticks with greater than 4gb of persistent space using "MultiSystem" and the instructions in the beginning of this post for every edition and version of Linux Mint through 18

RE: phd21

How is WISH this had worked. Go back and look at all my replies to all these posts. NOTHING (so far) has worked. I'll be damned if I can figure out what's wrong? I'm not certain, but I'm thinking it has to do with UEFI issues. This isn't supposed to be this difficult!!!
THANX:

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi 69Rixter,

I do not know if UEFI is a problem or not with USB sticks over 4gb as I do not have a computer with that.

It is truly simple to create USB sticks with persistence of 4gb or less using "unetbootin", "Multibootusb", or "MultiSystem", etc ... It is only when you want to go over the 4gb of persistence limit that it becomes more difficult. Honestly, I rarely ever need to have a USB stick with persistence over 4gb. You have an 8gb USB stick with appx 2gb for Linux Mint, then 4gb of easy persistence = appx. 6gb used; using the advanced methods in this post will only gain you appx 2gb more, what is the point?

I just gave you links to download and easily install MultiSystem using their deb file. It seemed like you were having a problem with adding their repository.

If the deb file does not work, then install their MultiSystem repository using the instructions below. I just ran these instructions below on a brand new freshly installed Linux Mint Mate 18.3 and it worked perfectly.

To install this using the add repository method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main'

wget -q -O - http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/multisystem.asc | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install multisystem
Hope this helps ...

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:33 am

69Rixter wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 pm
Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:49 am
persistent partitions quit working after 17.2 unless someone fixes a bug in the newest casper which is in 17.3, where you can ONLY use a persistent file and limited to 4GB.
Spearmint: Has this changed yet?
Rick
Seemingly not, based on your current attempts.
Not so sure this is a good idea for it states "Warning about overwriting the target device mkusb will 'use the whole device', actually only the head end (size of the iso file), but the rest of the device is not available." Can't be wastin' an entire 16GB pendrive.
THANX
That's what you want it to do, on a standard flashdrive (maybe not on one with a security VCD program on it). mkusb puts the ISO in the front of the flashdrive. You can then create an EXT2 partition (better on flashdrive than EXT4 journaling file system) on the remaining drive space and name it casper-rw, then delete any casper-rw file if exists elsewhere. That way the extra space in the second partition becomes the "persistence" area used.

In this one, I started with a small FAT16 partition, since some older BIOS won't boot if there's an ISO or VCD type file in the first partition, but will on later parititions if it detects a FAT partition alone in first partition. I have one older computer that has that type BIOS program on it. That's probably not necessary on your computer. Remember, the main compressed file, after installing, is in the casper folder and named filesystem.squashfs. A casper-rw file will also be created in first partition, but YOU then create another partition on rest of drive, Label it casper-rw, and then delete the casper-rw file in the first partition, then reboot.
...but the rest of the device is not available."
That's true.....in windows.

Model: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdg: 15.6GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  17.8MB  16.8MB  primary  fat16
 3      17.8MB  3164MB  3146MB  primary  fat32        boot
 2      3164MB  15.6GB  12.4GB  primary  ext2
MKUSB-created-Linux-flashdrive-persistence.png
Created using MKUSB for Mint 18.1 with persistence
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:55 pm

phd21 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:54 pm
Hi 69Rixter

I have always been able to create a USB sticks with greater than 4gb of persistent space using "MultiSystem" and the instructions in the beginning of this post for every edition and version of Linux Mint through 18.3.

But, if you have a nice large USB stick of 16gb or more, then just install the full version of Linux Mint which has all the security features enabled.
RE: pdh21:

I do have a 16GB-3.0 pendrive that I am trying to use to install a 'working" Linux/Ubuntu distro on. The drive is relatively new and, after many and exhaustive tests, is properly functioning. IDK why but I've run the "commands" and suggestions that have worked for others, yet everything goes to hell when I attempt them.(i.e. check posts reply in this thread) I'm wondering, but not at all sure,if I'm being thwarted by an UEFI issue.(?) So, I'll add another reply stating all of the "specs" and maybe you or anyone can discover what the heck is causing all the failures. I'm at a loss!!!
THANX

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:15 pm

To ALL WHO'VE RESPONDED:

After many attempts and too many failures, I'm at wit's end. I've attempted all the instructions in this thread and all, at some point or another, have failed. I do not discount anything being offered to help, it's just nothing has worked. So, I'll post the relevant specs and maybe someone will discover something that I'm missing.

Tried to install: Xubuntu 18.3; LM 18.3x; Xubuntu 17.10.1 & Ubuntu 17.10; Puppy Linux and Linux Lite 8.0(I believe) and a few others. I did so using any of these: Unetbootin-Pendrivelinux-LiLi: these programs produced an O.S. that was completely malfunctioning. Rufus does create a good, working O.S., but I cannot get persistence to install without corruption to the O.S. (after adding persistence via instructions, USB/O.S. fails to boot) Please understand, I've tried all suggestions in this thread; I've responded to those suggestions. I'm NOT criticizing!!! Here is the comp and pendrive I'm using: Dell Multiplex 7040/7090 running Win 7(about 6 y/o) Lexar 16GB-3.0 pendrive that, by all tests readings, is working properly.

:?: :oops: THANX:

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi 69Rixter,

You are welcome...
69Rixter wrote:RE: pdh21: I do have a 16GB-3.0 pendrive that I am trying to use to install a 'working" Linux/Ubuntu distro on. The drive is relatively new and, after many and exhaustive tests, is properly functioning. IDK why but I've run the "commands" and suggestions that have worked for others, yet everything goes to hell when I attempt them.(i.e. check posts reply in this thread) I'm wondering, but not at all sure,if I'm being thwarted by an UEFI issue.(?) So, I'll add another reply stating all of the "specs" and maybe you or anyone can discover what the heck is causing all the failures. I'm at a loss!!!
THANX
I have always thought that USB sticks with persistence were excellent for creating a USB stick(s) with the Live test-drive version of Linux Mint ".iso" file where you can save most settings and install applications that will be retained even after rebooting, which cannot be done with a typically created installation DVD or USB stick of the live test-drive versions of Linux Mint. This was very popular when USB sticks were not available above 8gb or were very costly which of course is not the case today. What is nice is that you can use smaller USB sticks between 2gb-8gb because the Linux Mint systems are usually around 2gb or less. This is great for people like me who test Linux Mint for others and try to create training videos regarding these installation versions, and for people who install it for others. AFAIK, it is not meant for people to run Linux Mint from as an alternative to fully installing Linux Mint because there is no user security.

As I stated before I do not currently have a newer computer with UEFI to test anything regarding that ( :? ). But, most systems allow you to disable UEFI or to choose "legacy boot" options in their Bios settings.

Which edition and version of Linux Mint have you been trying to create a USB stick with persistence with? What is your goal for doing this versus fully installing Linux Mint to a USB stick? I think it is a great idea to fully install Linux Mint to a USB stick for a backup of your current system in case of emergency (ICE) due to hardware or update failure, or as a portable travel version, etc...

As for fully installing a Linux Mint system to a USB stick of 16gb or larger, there are good posts on doing that and videos. It is fairly easy, but I have noticed that it is can be slightly different depending upon which edition and version of Linux Mint you want to install. You can create another post for this, or PM me because this post is for USB sticks with persistence.

Were you able to install MultiSystem yet?

FYI: Using an 8gb stick, or even a 16gb stick, with Persistence uses the Linux Mint .iso file which cannot be changed and is read only. So, if you run all the usual updates, that persistent space can be eaten up pretty quickly in addition to whatever apps you want to install, because it cannot change the iso file so all the updates and newly installed apps are taking up new additional space, whereas a fully installed version the updates can overwrite the existing files, and you can cleanup or delete unwanted applications and packages, etc... But you need a USB stick of at least 16gb or more to fully install Linux Mint.

FYI-2: Are you trying to use MS Windows for these instructions because these are for people using installed Linux Mint systems to create USB sticks? Unetbootin will work on all systems.

Hope this helps ...

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Not seeming much good said on it for Linux use at Amazon comments section. Actually mostly complaints

Are you using THIS on it? If so, need to get it off.

Securely protect and delete files on the go
Looking to protect personal information, financial records or other sensitive files on the go? JumpDrive S75 includes EncryptStick Lite software, an advanced security solution with 256-bit AES encryption to help protect your essential files against corruption, loss and deletion. Easily create a password-protected vault that automatically encrypts data. And for peace of mind, files that are deleted from the vault are securely erased and can't be recovered.
LINK
1.0 out of 5 starsCompatible with only 1 of my 3 devices
By Amazon Customer on March 14, 2016
This product only worked with one of my three devices. I contacted tech support, and here is the response:

Hello David, the Lexar JumpDrive S25 is not compatible with OTG technology, meaning it may not work with mobile devices. We also do not guarantee compatibility with Linux devices. Please contact our Tech Support team to look into this in detail.
Get one of these, known to work with Linux, and fast. Not expensive. It's what osdisc.com also uses for the flashdrive they sell linux distros on with persistence.

One good thing about a LIVE with persistence setup on flashdrive, is if you install a program or some update that messes things up, you can delete it and anything else in the persistent casper-rw area and the flashdrive will boot up just like it did before you did all those changes.

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:31 pm

RE: pdh21:

I will do my best to answer your questions in order. "*As I stated before I do not currently have a newer computer with UEFI to test anything regarding that ( :? ). But, most systems allow you to disable UEFI or to choose "legacy boot" options in their Bios settings." This is a 6 y/o Dell Multiplex 7040/7090 (I access both) *"What is your goal for doing this versus fully installing Linux Mint to a USB stick?" The same as everyone else; To be able to use Linux/Ubuntu on any computer that does not already employ it. As far as complete install to a pendrive...that also failed *"Were you able to install MultiSystem yet?" NO...please see "To All Who've Responded" in posts *"Are you trying to use MS Windows for these instructions because these are for people using installed Linux Mint systems to create USB sticks? I've tried both O.S.'s *"Unetbootin will work on all systems." Unfortunately, that is not true. I've posted a reply, obviously after you last responded. Hope there is information in that post that answer any/all your questions and HOPEFULLY you'll see where/how I've done something wrong. TNX phd21

RE: Spearmint2

*Are you using THIS on it' No, not exactly. It is a Lexar 16 GB-3.0 but not S75 and no encryption. *"Get one of these, known to work with Linux and fast" Yes, I'm sure it is and yes it a good price. But, I've got a pendrive that's in working order already. I hope you got to see/read my reply : "To all who've responded" Perhaps you might acknowledge some error or misstep I've implemented.(?) Or maybe there's something there you'd like to question? TNX

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Just now attempted this and got a failure(error) notice: http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2015/04/creat ... linux.html. This is a fairly new, been tested over and over, working 16 GB-3.0 pendrive. It was "blank" except for the Fat32 format. This is the error; Erreur: MultiSystem n'accepte pas les espaces dans les label de disques. And YES, I had "English" designated/tiked (twice)!!
W-T-F? :x

Return to “Tutorials”