[Tutorial] Live usb with persistence over 4GB

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [Tutorial] Live usb with persistence over 4GB

Post by phd21 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi 69Rixter,

There is a difference between installing Linux Mint alongside or in place of an existing operating system like MS Windows onto an internal hard drive versus creating a USB stick with persistence or to fully install Linux Mint to a USB stick.

You still have not said which edition of Linux Mint you are trying to install Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce, and 64-bit or 32-bit? Do you already have a version of Linux Mint already installed in your computer, if so which one? Do you want to install Linux Mint to a USB stick and use it from there instead of installing it to your existing hard drive?

You do not need to use persistence at all to create an installation test-drive DVD or USB stick of Linux Mint from MS Windows (rufus, unetbootin, etcher, etc...), or from an existing Linux Mint install (unetbootin, etcher, multibootusb, multisysem, mint's usb image writer, etc...) which you can boot to and then click the install icon to install Linux Mint to instal it alongside or in place of an existing operating system or to another USB stick 16gb or larger. It is recommended to format the USB stick as "fat32" first though.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:15 pm

RE: phd21

You didn't read my reply "To Those Who've Responded" as I suggested. That's OK...but, all the answers to your questions are in it. HOWEVER: UPDATE This is in the very preliminary stages, but I finally got * "multisystem" to work(?) correctly and it appears(?) LM 18.3x is operating as it should. So far, no lags, hangs, or freezes. I'm going to give it a few days(test ??) of operation before I try to add persistence. OOOOOHHHHHHH wish me luck!!!!! :lol: :roll:

*shut down comp, then re-installed multisysytem and viola!!!

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm

That message is telling you the flashdrive is damaged. "does not accept spaces in disk labels" Did you buy this in a big box store, or off EBay? Google "flashdrive EBay fakes". I usually order my flashdrives direct from factory to avoid the "fakes". Have you ever written at least 15 GB of data to this drive? After that were you then able to access all those files without being corrupted? Typical fakes are rebranded cheap size drives of 2-4GB to claim they are larger than actually marked, because those thought larger can sell for more. So, buy the cheap drive, then reprogram the controller chip, overwrite with different identity, and sell it for many times more.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-de ... h-h2testw/

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008 ... sh-drives/

https://fixfakeflash.wordpress.com/faq-read/
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

pcfan5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pcfan5 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:04 pm

69Rixter wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm
Just now attempted this and got a failure(error) notice: http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2015/04/creat ... linux.html. This is a fairly new, been tested over and over, working 16 GB-3.0 pendrive. It was "blank" except for the Fat32 format. This is the error; Erreur: MultiSystem n'accepte pas les espaces dans les label de disques. And YES, I had "English" designated/tiked (twice)!!
W-T-F? :x
Don't know if is your case , but when you put a recently formated usb drive it hasn't a label, so it says something in french, no matter the language designated, writtes a label "MULTISYSTEM ", and then is ready to go.

I read a long time ago that it is better to unmount the USB drive after that , unplugged it and plugg it again.

69Rixter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 69Rixter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Afternoon:

OK, tried to create a extended partition to house the casper-rw and for whatever reason, GPparted wouldn't allow it???. So, want to make the casper-rw a folder which would/should(?) work just as well(???). My question now is: #1 creating the folder to ..where? (/casper-rw) #2 Could not find the casper-rw file in any of the O.S. files..but isn't that correct since I'm running "Live"? If/when I create this new casper-rw file/folder, will the system just add it automatically? OK, now...if I'm doing something incorrect, or should be doing something completely different I'd like to know before I set out to create the casper-rw file. I have a 16GB pendrive partitioned into 2 primary partitions, with the first primary partition housing the O.S (1.75GB) plus additional 3.18GB for use of persistence(casper-rw file). 3.18GB will be sufficient for what persistence I'll need.
Here We Go Again....THANKS
ADDENDUM :
Had to wait awhile before retuning. OK, this time I had LM 18.3X on the drive...used pendrivelinux to create casper-rw. Then partitioned off the rest of the drive to use as storage. Well...damn thing wouldn't boot! OK, now...I've had it!! So let's start over from the beginning and find what it takes to get this working; I have a 16GB pendrive that I'd like to have a linux distro w/ some persistence. I would like to partition the drive so that beyond the distro-persistence, I'll have a separate(independent) partition for file storage. This is what hasn't worked; using Unetbootin, LiLi or pendrivelinux to create an operable O.S; using pendrivelinux to create casper-rw; a 'full" installation of the O.S.(doesn't matter what linux/ubuntu O.S., all that I tried w/ Unet, penlin and LiLi failed*) What has worked; using either Multisystem or Rufus to create operable O.S. however neither program has/had persistence available. Here are the specs for the equipment I'm using: Dell Optiplex 9040/7040 ( I use both) running Win7 (with boot option set for usb) Lexar 16GB (2.0) pendrive And YES, the pendrive is fully operable and working as should. I formatted the O.S. partition to FAT32 prior to putting O.S. on drive Now, this is a personal thought: getting the O.S to operate correctly seems to depend on the MBR's ability to accept either Legacy or UEFI... for that's the difference I see between Rufus/Multisystem and the other .iso installers, but...that's just my thought!!! Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong (if anything) or see something I don't that will get this "project" working properly?
:evil: THANX

jjcase337
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jjcase337 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello all fellow Linux lovers,

I had just ran into a problem while allowing my son to use my extra laptop with Mint XFCE Sylvia running live with persistence. I came to it after a week and found we could no longer boot into the persistence grub entry, but I could select Live, or the Compatibility mode. I'm a pretty new newb novice by ALL means , I mean i just learned how to memorize sudo apt-get update, hehe. Ok well, what i did to reinstall mint to the stick from the same laptop using the same usb sandisk 64gb, was to run install using live directly to my stick, and im not even sure which partition, but it was the largest one, I used as my / . I did reformat it to ext 4, as it was ext 2 before for some reason. So now I have a full install that appears to not be using a grub2 anymore, weird since i always configure my grubs, but now it goes straight to the linux install on the usb. Maybe its just super fast? I then after had to use the method of creating a swap file instead of the swap partition. The swap is working and I also ran sudo apt-get upgrade, and nothing broke upon restarting. Seems i now have a full install on largest partition, and i'm no longer using persistence that i'm aware of. Will this cause issues in the future, or should I just use my other pc and reinstall full Linux mint directly to usb using mkusb once again? I normally always do live and persistence on same USB so I can use it to repair any other pc's. Thx for reading, and sorry if this is off topic. :roll:

P.S. i realized that this was a question so maybe i should move this topic to another place.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 am

That's fine, no problem. Typically a LIVE with Persistence on a flashdrive using ext2 file system is faster, preferred on slower flashdrives, but a full install on a fast flashdrive is OK too.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

rui no onna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rui no onna » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:33 am

69Rixter wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:29 pm
Had to wait awhile before retuning. OK, this time I had LM 18.3X on the drive...used pendrivelinux to create casper-rw. Then partitioned off the rest of the drive to use as storage. Well...damn thing wouldn't boot! OK, now...I've had it!! So let's start over from the beginning and find what it takes to get this working; I have a 16GB pendrive that I'd like to have a linux distro w/ some persistence. I would like to partition the drive so that beyond the distro-persistence, I'll have a separate(independent) partition for file storage. This is what hasn't worked; using Unetbootin, LiLi or pendrivelinux to create an operable O.S; using pendrivelinux to create casper-rw; a 'full" installation of the O.S.(doesn't matter what linux/ubuntu O.S., all that I tried w/ Unet, penlin and LiLi failed*) What has worked; using either Multisystem or Rufus to create operable O.S. however neither program has/had persistence available. Here are the specs for the equipment I'm using: Dell Optiplex 9040/7040 ( I use both) running Win7 (with boot option set for usb) Lexar 16GB (2.0) pendrive And YES, the pendrive is fully operable and working as should. I formatted the O.S. partition to FAT32 prior to putting O.S. on drive Now, this is a personal thought: getting the O.S to operate correctly seems to depend on the MBR's ability to accept either Legacy or UEFI... for that's the difference I see between Rufus/Multisystem and the other .iso installers, but...that's just my thought!!! Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong (if anything) or see something I don't that will get this "project" working properly?
:evil: THANX
I'm not sure if this has been solved to your satisfaction. For what it's worth, I've had great success using YUMI to create live USB with up to 4GB casper-rw persistence file. The main version is BIOS/Legacy boot only but there's also a YUMI-UEFI beta version. I haven't tried the UEFI one so I don't know if the live USB it creates is EFI only or if it can be used for both BIOS Legacy and EFI. You might want to try YUMI-EFI if regular YUMI doesn't work.

For greater than 4GB persistence, you can actually create the casper-rw partition on Windows as well using MiniTool Partition Wizard (there's a free version). It's simply a partition with a Linux supported format (ext2 recommended) and a label of casper-rw.

Return to “Tutorials”