How to verify a Linux Mint 18 ISO image on Windows

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
polarvortex

Re: How to verify a Linux Mint 18 ISO image on Windows

Post by polarvortex »

I updated the tutorial to account for another error that I just found out about. But I got the error while checking an 18.1 beta iso though (with the 18.1 sha files of course, not the 18 sha files in the tut), so it might only be related to that. But if the error can happen with 18, then I think there is a small chance that some people who used the tutorial before this update will have thought that their iso was verified when it actually wasn't.

This is because even when Kleopatra does verify your iso, it says "One error occurred", and the tutorial pretty much told users to ignore that error - which is totally fine as long as that error is the one about missing iso files. But if it's this other new error about failing to execute and timing out, it's possibly not fine, and certainly not good enough. It depends on what Kleopatra is actually doing and what the new error means - it shows the iso in green which means it must have succeeded, but then it has an error which makes it sound like it did not succeed. So who knows what that means. So that sucks, but at least it's fixed now. Now the updated tutorial tells the user to look at the details of the One error that occurred, and see if it's the normal error you have to ignore, or if it's a bad error you shouldn't ignore.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

12characters wrote:It worked perfectly, I was using windows 7 ultimate.
Thanks. Now I know it works in Vista, 7, 8(.x) and 10. Now I just wonder if it works in XP.
12characters wrote:It was a long process, but you explained it very well. many thanks :)
Yeah it's way too long, and I'm unsatisfied with the way it still says "one error occurred" even when it succeeds! There's got to be a simpler, better way to do this complete process (and there might be and I look forward to learning it if there is) and if there isn't there needs to be. Ideally it would be a program that has just a couple steps and a clearer result.

In a perfect world I wish there was a windows program that would:
- check your hardware and let you know if any of it won't work well easily Mint (such as a network card with no driver support), basically like a Windows Upgrade Assistant but for Mint when coming from windows
- suggest an edition of Mint, and/or show a 1 sentence description of what each of the 4 editions is 'better for' (like "choose Cinnamon if you want the latest UI", "choose xfce if you have a slower computer", etc, with 1 screenshot of the ui.
- download the iso for the edition you chose
- automatically verify it
- burn it to a dvd or usb stick and reboot the computer :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

polarvortex wrote: Thanks. Now I know it works in Vista, 7, 8(.x) and 10. Now I just wonder if it works in XP.
Sorry for the late reply... been having some interesting times with my computer! As soon as I get virtualbox fixed I'll get it tested in XP. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mister_eggroll

Post by mister_eggroll »

This works like a charm on Windows 7 Home edition.
This post is a total lifesaver. Thank you !
NoemiP

Post by NoemiP »

Hi I am trying to verify the downloaded ISO image and the two files sha256sum.txt and sha256sum.txt.gpg. Using a tutorial I have managed to verify the ISO and the sha256sum.txt files, but following the steps above (which were great by the way) led me to the signature verification, which kept coming back as invalid. I just downloaded everything from linuxmint.com/verify.php, but I also tried other websites. The message is always the same:

"Signed with unknown certificate 0x300F846BA25BAE09.
The signature is bad."

Could somebody help me out, please?

That's the signature I was using:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1
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=W975
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
DarkSage

Post by DarkSage »

I keep getting stuck on the step where it which tells you to click File -> Lookup Certificates on Server. It keeps giving me the error window in the attachments. It appears it's not saving the default certificate server when I click OK after clicking New.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Noemip, I'm not sure. It sounds to me like you did some of the process using another tutorial and then the other part of it with half of my tutorial? I would start over from scratch and only use my full tutorial because I'm guessing that's where the problem came in.

DarkSage, did you run Gpg4win Kleopatra as administrator?
summersolstice

Post by summersolstice »

It is so helpful to find a step-by-step tutorial! Thank you!

A few questions though.. Should one verify the Gpg4win file/installer as stated on their website prior to verifying the ISO image? What is the procedure for verifying the Gpg4win file on Windows?

Cheerios!
Amelur

Post by Amelur »

It seems that Kleopatra isn't connected to the server or is not finding the ISO.

Version: Kleopatra 3.0.1-gpg4win-3.0.2
Ran as administrator
Created New "blank" server (see screenshot)
Configure Window - Kleopatra.png
When I search (this version calls the option "Lookup on Server" rather than "Lookup Certificates on Server" but I'm assuming it's the same thing, Ctrl+Shift+I) for "Linux Mint ISO" I just get a blank, grayed-out screen.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for the help
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 arrived with an option to check the iso. Simply right click the iso icon in Downloads and you will see Check SHA256.

JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Ozo wrote:Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 arrived with an option to check the iso. Simply right click the iso icon in Downloads and you will see Check SHA256.
Hey, thanks for that tip!
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

JerryF wrote: Hey, thanks for that tip!
Your welcome, now we wait to see if it actually works. I am not sure how one would go about verifying that a bad iso was rejected. I have never seen a bad iso.
Ancient66

Post by Ancient66 »

Many thanks polarvortex, very very helpful information! Problem solved!

Regards,
James
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

polarvortex wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:56 pm Steps to verify a Linux Mint 18 ISO image on Windows:

- In the menu, choose Settings > Configure Kleopatra...

- In the Configure window, press New. (This automatically adds the default certificate server keys.gnupg.net)

- Click OK

- In the menu, choose File > Lookup Certificates on Server...

- Type "Linux Mint ISO" and click Search. It will find the Linux Mint ISO Signing Key, A25BAE09.
I am using Windows 10. I couldn't get this to work. In Settings, I pressed New and it didn't automatically add that server. Then after searching for "Linux Mint ISO" it did nothing.

So I verified another way using viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225855

As someone else alluded, it does add File Hashes tab to properties of (probably) all files. Using this method, it verified, and I will probably uninstall gpg4win.

Am I doing something wrong in Kleopatra?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce. Desktop computer 16 GB RAM. Windows 11. 22" & 24" monitors.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon on 256 GB USB flash drive. Dell Inspiron 13-7378 laptop. 16 GB RAM. Windows 10.
compuls1v3

Post by compuls1v3 »

I'm running Windows 10 and can verify that these instructions works. The other articles I've read online don't explain the part about verifying the digital signature, so thank you so much for this!
Alliantie

Post by Alliantie »

Hi,

I would love to get on board with Linux Mint (no experience) but I got stuck on the ISO verify ...

The 'information about this edition' isn't the same anymore with the website https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=246

it's a bit hard that the process descriped isn't for people how come over from Windows?

Anyways, I think I got the integrety check correct but the authenticity check didn't do the job ...

Why is it that Linux becomes better and more suitable for Windowsusers it does have a big step to start and therefore seems to stay a thing for more experience people ...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Locked this topic and unstickied it, as it's from 2016. For instructions on how to verify your ISO see the Installation Guide section on that: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... erify.html. The Installation Guide is available in other languages from here: https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php.

Return to “Tutorials”