Install Veracrypt 1.19 on Mint 18 Cinnamon x64 [updated]

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
NChewie

Install Veracrypt 1.19 on Mint 18 Cinnamon x64 [updated]

Post by NChewie »

To install veracrypt 1.19 on Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64bit:

Download veracrypt-1.19-setup.tar.bz2 from
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Downloads

You should validate the signature on the file using PGP - see
https://www.deepdotweb.com/2015/02/17/b ... pgp-linux/
Download the PGP signature and the Veracrypt public key.

Use Nemo file manager (from the panel at the bottom left of the screen) to go to /home/Downloads

Right-click VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc and select "Open with import key"
then right-click veracrypt-1.19-setup.tar.bz2.sig and select "Open with Validate Signature", which will hopefully report: Untrusted but valid signature

Doubleleftclick on the veracrypt-1.19-setup.tar.bz2 file, so the archive manager will open.
Select the veracrypt-1.19-setup-gui-x64 file and select Extract button. In the left pane, select the Desktop as your destination and press the Extract button. [Confirm the success message by pressing Quit]
Click the Show Desktop icon in the panel at the bottom left of your screen, which will minimise all your open windows.
Right-Click part of the background in your desktop and select "Open in Terminal".
In that terminal, type:

Code: Select all

./veracrypt-1.19-setup-gui-x64
On the xmessage that pops up, press the

Install Veracrypt button then accept the licence terms, then OK to verify the xmessage telling you how to uninstall.
Then enter your password when prompted.
Watch the install in the terminal and press Enter when prompted.

And it is installed...

It will be in the Menu-Accessories on your next reboot. If you want to test it prior to reboot, open a terminal and type

veracrypt &
Last edited by NChewie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibDoug

Re: Install Veracrypt 1.19 on Mint 18 Cinnamon x64

Post by ibDoug »

I've just spent an hour trying to install Vera Crypt and this is the only method that worked. Thank you!
ds2816
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ds2816 »

I kept getting an error about gnome-terminal no longer accepts --title option and it did not install. I decided to install xterm through the software manager and then proceeded to run the veracrypt install script inside an xterm instead of a gnome terminal. Installation ran great. I was desperate to get veracrypt running on my new 18.2 install so I was even trying older versions of veracrypt with the same problem. Once the xterm was used every version installed perfectly. I used version 1.21 for my final install.

I used the veracrypt-1.21-setup-gui-x64 shell script on my 64 bit linux mint 18.2 cinnamon system with an xterm.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I prefer to use the PPA. Saves manually installing updates.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unit193/encryption
apt update
apt install veracrypt
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

[Update for latest version 1.22]
In case anyone searches for how to install veracrypt 1.22...
The latest version is not (yet) in the PPA above, but can be downloaded from the veracrypt website:
https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html

The instructions to install are slightly different... when the gui file is extracted, I found that I needed to make it executable:

chmod +x ./veracrypt-1.22-setup-gui-x64
before running it

./veracrypt-1.22-setup-gui-x64
and after choosing to Install Veracrypt in the pop-up, it carried out an uninstall (after requesting the root password).
The version can then be checked with:

veracrypt --version
Calomel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install Veracrypt 1.19 on Mint 18 Cinnamon x64 [updated]

Post by Calomel »

An encrypted external HDD failed in Win. Access impossible. Launched Mint from a stick, HDD displayed. Watched a few useless vids on the installation of V.!
Just your description worked and I could rescue the data!
Thanks a lot and a happy 2023! :D
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

For anyone who finds this tutorial by search, it's much easier now to install VeraCrypt.

Go to the Downloads page (same link as above). Notice the deb files, for all current versions of Ubuntu and both current versions of Debian. For LM 21, use the Ubuntu 22.04 deb file; for LM 20, use 20.04. Download; double-click in File Manager; Gdebi will take care of the rest.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

It was always possible to install VeraCrypt from .deb file provided by veracrypt.fr. Updates to Veracrypt are rare, about once a year, and often they are only Windows related. Installing encryption software from personal package archive as recommended above seems unreasonable. Also, Veracrypt is not integrated into the system, installation just creates a launcher. It can be installed manually from Linux generic Installer, currently it's veracrypt-1.25.9-setup.tar.bz2
-=t42=-

Return to “Tutorials”