Uploading a screenshot, image, or images to this forum

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Uploading a screenshot, image, or images to this forum

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

Because there are more questions on posting images and screen shots into this Linux Mint Forum, I decided to create a video tutorial showing 3 methods of getting your screen shots, or images, into this forum:

"A picture is worth a thousand words" ...

1.) "Postimages.org" - simple to use excellent image host you can use from any Internet browser. Postimage.org became postimages.org.

Postimages.org — free image hosting / image upload
https://postimages.org/

2.) "Kolourpaint" (Kolourpaint4) - simple to use image editor in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
Desktop-sm.jpg
3.) "Converseen" - Simple to use Image conversion application in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Sample Desktop screenshot from "PostImage.org".

Video: click the link below to view the video tutorial.
https://youtu.be/uAiWZBa0Q7s

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Sorry, Im just testing out the posting from postimage.org.

I have always wondered why it was somewhat hard to post images. I had tried direct links from like photobucket and they never worked. I will now try it from postimage and see if I get lucky. Mods- you can delete this post if you wish. I just thought it best to test here instead of starting some new thread.

I used the "Thumbnails for forums" link at postimage after uploading my image. What I like about it is that you just copy and paste. You aparently do not need to add image qoutes. They are all included :)

+1 and a big thank you for revisiting this issue :)

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Since I have WINE installed, I use an old LViewPro version D2 from my windows days. I set it to jpg and quality to 70% and that takes care of most full screen captures to fit the forums size limit. It's a quick and handy program, even 20+ years later. It runs from a single executable, so works great in WINE.

http://users.usinternet.com/n0flq/softw ... ewpro.html
http://vetusware.com/download/LView%20P ... D/?id=5050
http://ghkuper.nl/software.html

You can also "export" to a jpg in GIMP and then get a box where can choose lower quality image so will fit onto forum.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

I just found another really easy way to upload images to this forum.

Install the relatively new browser called "SlimJet". I really like this new browser it has a lot of built-in features including an automatic image resizer, so that when you want to upload images someplace like to a forum, image hosting website, wherever, you could use this. You would not want to resize your images for all websites, but certain forums, like this one, require images to be around 100kb or less to upload them directly. you will be automatically be asked by Slimjet the first time you go to upload an image on a website. If you say ok, then it will be automatic from then on. If you say cancel, you can still add that website through the Slimjet settings.

Hope this helps ...
SlimJet_AutoShrinkFiles1.jpg
SlimJet_Browser_AutoShrink2.jpg
SlimJet_Browser_AutoShrink3.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

irfan-view under wine has a handy plugin: tell it the file size you want and it'll figure out the jpg compression, and show you a preview of the compressed image. The "save file" doesn't work in the plugin (wine?), but you can just use that compression value with the main program to save the file to a certain size.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pangit1+

Post by Pangit1+ »

http://postimg.org/image/uy8qsp1ut/f840f43a/

https://postimg.org/image/qnyoaum5h/486ef24e/

I copied and pasted the address; it works. I may seem stupid, but remember; my first introduction to cutting edge technology was a black telephone which looked like an old rotary dial phone...except without the dial. It sat on an oak box with a handle which one cranked in order to hear the operator say, "number, please." I use modern technology a lot, but the knowledge never seems to generalize. I am grateful for your patience.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pangit1+",

Glad you figured out how to upload images to an image hosting website.

But, you are supposed to put these images in your post not this one, and if you use a link to images from an image hosting website, click "rimg" button in the toolbar when creating your post or reply, before pasting the image link, or highlight the image link and then click "rimg" button, then the images appear in the forum.

Also, when you paste the image links, you just click the button on the right side of direct link to copy just that link for that image. You do not need to resize images when using an image hosting site either.

And, the images are supposed to be qasmixer fullscreen with the mixer devices showing (click F6)

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

Another really easy to install and use option for taking screenshots and uploading them to this forum is called "Ksnip". This is a wonderful newly updated screenshot application with built-in painter functions and the ability to scale (shrink) images or to upload them to "imgur" image hosting website.

FYI - "ksnip" really nice screen capture app with Imgur upload and built-in painter functions - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260112&hilit=screenshot

Hope this helps ...
ismail783
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ismail783 »

austin.texas wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:13 pm Good tips!
I like to use convert to resize screenshots.
How to post a screenshot
Me too!!!

To Reduce Quality

Code: Select all

convert Screenshot.png -quality 70 Screenshot.jpg
To Resize

Code: Select all

convert Screenshot.png -resize 1920x1080 Screenshot.jpg
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Another way if from a browser is to use CTRL with - or + in combo, to make the webpage smaller or larger first, then run screenshot with option of crop. For instance in mate-screenshot or gnome-screenshot, I have my screenshot set to use it with the -i or interactive, which allows me at the time of screenshot to crop out what I want. I used dconf-editor to set the screenshot to use that as default setting.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Tutorials”