unhappy with the calculators available on LM 18?

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

unhappy with the calculators available on LM 18?

Post by oldwierdal » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Although it probably should NOT have been a deal breaker that I could not find a calculator that satisfied me with Linux Mint 18, it was an annoyance strong enough for me to decide to just wait it out. I decided that I would just continue to use LM17.3 until end of life, and hope that there would be a calculator that wasn't just plain ugly in general use by then.
Mate-calc 1.8.0 was/is for me aesthetically pleasant, using my Mate Desktop on Rosa. Although I had tweaked everything else on Sarah so that I was happy with the appearance, I just could not bear looking at the ugliest calculators imaginable, and I was surprised at how often, really, I use the calculator in just every-day computer use.
Then I had a brain-fart! Would mate-calc 1.8.0 work on Mate 1.14.1? Were there dependencies required for mate-calc which might break Mate 1.14.1? As it turns out, the answers were 'yes' it does work, and 'no' it doesn't break anything, nor does it require anything magical.
Simply go to one of the Linux Mint 17.3 mirrors, find mate-calc and mate-calc-common, and download them to a convenient location for you. Then using "dpkg -i";
As root enter "# dpkg -i mate-calc_1.8.0-0+qiana_amd64.deb mate-calc-common_1.8.0-0+qiana_all.deb" in a terminal. Use "$ sudo dpkg -i mate-calc_1.8.0-0+qiana_amd64.deb mate-calc-common_1.8.0-0+qiana_all.deb" if you prefer to use a regular user terminal.
Mate-calc 1.8.0 co-habitates happily on my Mate 1.14.1 environment.
I am now testing LM18 extensively for my wife and myself. The goal is for Becky to use LM18, and not even be aware that anything has changed, except for the visible differences during boot-up. We have been using LM 18 all day, and we have both used the calculator a few times already. If a week or two passes without any problems at all, I will make LM 18 the default, and move LM 17.3 to a backup drive for use in an emergency.
So, to recap;
download "mate-calc_1.8.0-0+qiana_amd64.deb and mate-calc-common_1.8.0-0+qiana_all.deb" from a Linux Mint 17.3 mirror. (use 32bit if required by your system)
install using "dpkg -i "
enjoy yourself.

Thanks,
owa
Linux vobiscum! Et cum source-code, tuo!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: unhappy with the calculators available on LM 18?

Post by phd21 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi "oldwierdal",

There are a lot of various calculators available in the Synaptic Package Manager and Software Manager (Mint repositories (repos)) that you (anyone) can install and use, just search for "calculator". It would help when you are referring to an appearance of something to show screen shots of them. Since I do not use the Mate version of Linux Mint, now I am curious to see what the Linux Mint Mate 18 calculator looks Like versus the Linux Mint Mate 17.3 calculator.

There are also calculators available to install and use that are not in the Mint repositories, like "SuperbCalc", a very nice printing "Tape" calculator based upon Java. Various colors can be used as well, including your desktop's colors. You can put calculation tapes into separate windows as well and save them, copy them, or print them too.

SuperbCalc™ is a tape calculator software (also called "financial calculator", "desk calculator" or "adding machine") written in Java™. Info and download link is below. You can easily create a new desktop shortcut icon (desktop launcher) using a command like "java -jar application_name.jar", ex: "java -jar /home/user69/Apps-Misc/JavaApps/superbcalc.jar", in the command box when creating the launcher shortcut.
http://www.mariottini.net/roberto/superbcalc/
Kcalc_SimpleNormal_ superbCalc1.jpg
SuperBcalc with colors and multiple calculation tapes, and "Kcalc" in "Numerical System" mode

Even though you may not be using Linux Mint KDE, anyone using any edition of Linux Mint can use KDE applications as well, like "Kcalc". "Kcalc" has 4 different calculators, Simple (Normal), Scientific, Statistical, & Numerical System. You can set the colors of the keys. If you are not using KDE, you might have to install "kde-runtime" for some KDE applications to work properly, which is perfectly alright to do, not sure if this applies to Kcalc.
Kcalc_Scientific_ superbCalc2_tapes.jpg
Kcalc_Statistical_ superbCalc_tapes.jpg
Hope this helps...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldwierdal » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Thank you, phd21, for your informative and detailed response. I must first confess to more than a little laziness on my part. I'm old, and resist change. At 74 and 69, respectively, Becky and I do understand that change is inevitable. However, we, at our tender age, desire that change not be too disruptive. We want tools which we have always used to be fairly recognizable, familiar. A grossly exaggerated example might be that a screwdriver should resemble a screwdriver, and not a monkey wrench!
Mate-calc 1.8.0 resembles the gnome 2 calculator so much that one might have to actually look to see which it is. And there lies the crux of our situation. Becky and I had used Gnome desktop through all of its iterations until it died away after Gnome 2.xx. Mate desktop has done such a superb job of emulating the classic Gnome 2 look and feel, for one; our ages for another; and the length of time which we have used the Gnome 2/Mate desktop with its uniquely classic look and feel (since 2003, actually), all combine to an admitted degree of laziness and resistance to change.
All of the examples which you so capably demonstrated are, of themselves, useful, and not un-attractive. But we didn’t want to spend the time and effort you have shown to find a suitable alternative. We just assumed that Mate desktop would continue to offer a calculator, and that the calculator would closely resemble the previous versions of calculator. That assumption was misled. And we were a bit frustrated. We, or rather, I, since computer upgrades and repairs have been entirely relegated to me, had just decided to, as I said above, wait it out. We have/had all that we needed and desired with LM 17.3, Mate desktop. Thus this post. When I discovered that I could install mate-calc 1.8.0 on LM 18 with Mate 1.14.1 without any problems, I just wanted to share this information with anyone who might be experiencing the same frustration.
So, thank you again for your most informative and detailed response. The information which you have shared, coupled with the mere pittance of information which I posted will hopefully help others.

owa

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi "oldwierdal" and Wife Becky,

You are welcome.

Have a great day, or night, or both...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:27 pm

@oldwierdal,

This is more of an FYI but you should have posted your original post in the Tutorials section: viewforum.php?f=42

Folks may not read your entire post to see that you are offering a HowTo not asking for one :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldwierdal » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:42 pm

@altair4
I just re-posted the original post in tutorials. With the permission of phd21, I would also post his/her helpful reply there as well.

owa

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi "oldwierdal",

Yes, you have my permission as well, and you can just link to this post from there as well.

FYI: I think what "altair4" meant was that you could contact a forum administrator to have this post moved from here to there without having to recreate it.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Now moved. I'll remove the other post so we don't have any doubles.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:30 am

oldwierdal wrote:I'm old, and resist change. At 74 and 69, respectively, Becky and I do understand that change is inevitable. However, we, at our tender age, desire that change not be too disruptive. We want tools which we have always used to be fairly recognizable, familiar. A grossly exaggerated example might be that a screwdriver should resemble a screwdriver, and not a monkey wrench!
Well, you're probably old enough to remember these:
http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/ ... -n3-t.html

I'm old too (71) and still use a slide rule sometimes (there are actually some types of calculations for which slide rules are better than calculators). :)

But seriously, I'm glad you found a solution to your problem. I don't know what the mate-calc looks like, as I use Cinnamon. On the few occasions I use a calculator I use the gnome-calc because I like its programming mode with hex, octal, and binary capabilities. But yeah, it is ugly.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:05 am

I use grpn. It's the best RPN calculator I could find for Mint. I found a great HP41CV emulator for my Android phone, but nothing yet that runs on Mint.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:46 pm

I like speedcrunch because it saves history of calculations which is pretty useful sometimes with accounts. It has a ton of options and formulae as well.

oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldwierdal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:14 pm

@slipstick
Oh, yeah! In my years at high school, kids who might now be called geeks, or nerds, were called egg-heads. You could tell which kids bore that title by the slide-rules in their back pockets, and by their high-waters. I never really understood the origin of the term egg-head for us, but I was proud to be among my friends who spoke in complete sentences, and carried an arm-load of books. Most of us opted not to take "study-hall" as a time-filler. If we were going to be at school, we wanted to be in some class.
I still have my slide-rule somewhere. Maybe I'll try to dig it out. My grand-kids and great-grand-kids might be amused. And, I agree.... there were some calculations which just seemed easier on it.

And, we even had automobiles,.... and side-walks!

owa

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:29 pm

gnome-calculator is the one i always end up installing in KDE/XFCE/MATE because it has a quick conversion tool in advanced mode.

qalculate-gtk is more robust. they both pull in some dependencies depending what you already have installed

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 am

sikejsudjek wrote:I like speedcrunch because it saves history of calculations which is pretty useful sometimes with accounts. It has a ton of options and formulae as well.
:D Thank you for this recommendation. I've been looking for a calculator with a formula book and history... :mrgreen: Just run it on the Mac
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Tutorials”