Using Gnome Music on Linux Mint 18.x

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Using Gnome Music on Linux Mint 18.x

Post by xenopeek » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm one of those people that just wants to browse through my albums (by cover art) and select an album to play. I'll select another album once it completes. I don't care for playlists and don't have the time to understand music players as convoluted as Amarok. There are few music players that let me just browse my albums' cover art and play the albums easily. Gnome Music is by far the best implementation of this. It needs a few steps more to use on Linux Mint 18.x because some packages it recommends and needs to work as we want aren't automatically installed (see viewtopic.php?t=185770 for why this issue exists).

This guide should work on any Linux Mint 18.x edition. I tested it on 18.1 Cinnamon and 18.1 KDE. The reason I'm bothering with this at all is because I gave Linux Mint 18.1 KDE a spin and was stunned by how little the KDE music players (Amarok, Clementine, Tomahawk, and so on) meet my expectations of a modern music player. So yes, Gnome Music works perfectly fine on KDE :wink:

1. Install the software
First, install the packages gnome-music, tracker-miner-fs and tracker-gui. You can do so from Software Manager or in one go with the command:
apt install gnome-music tracker-miner-fs tracker-gui

2. Configure music location
Next, open Search and Indexing from the Preferences category in your menu. On the Locations tab configure which directories to search for music files. (You may also leave that as default in which case all files in the listed directories will be indexed and you can use the Desktop Search program in the Accessories category of your menu to search for files.) Finally, go to the System tab and click the button there to remove all indexes. This will start indexing of your music files. This is a one-time operation and future new music files that you add to the directories configured will be indexed automatically.

3. Wait for music database to be built from your collection
Depending on your music collection it can take some time so go do something else for a while. You can view progress on the terminal with the command tracker daemon. Once all miners are idle it is done.

4. Play the music!
Once music files have been index start Music program from your menu. The default view is album browse where you have a distraction-free view of all your albums' cover art. Click an album to see its tracks and click a track to start playing the album from there.

Return to “Tutorials”