UEFI Dual boot in HP computer

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
dojero
Level 1
Level 1

Re: UEFI Dual boot in HP computer

Post by dojero »

My last comment, I promise. You're right on one count: I don't use Mint and so shouldn't be here.

But your frankly condescending and supercilious attitude kept me coming back. I thought that if I demonstrated over and over that you were making statements that weren't correct, you'd at some point admit to that. But even here, when you were clearly wrong to 'sigh' at my distinction between the SSD and HDD, you couldn't do it. Instead, you chose, again, to work extremely hard to obfuscate.

I won't be back, even to see if you reply. I've failed to secure anything resembling humility from you, which I now suspect is impossible. I don't think you have it in you.

For the people who use Mint and for those who continue to get advice from pbear, I suggest taking things with a grain of salt. It's entirely possible that he's right about whatever it is he's descending from his mountain to deign to share with you. But you'll never really be able to know if he's wrong. It's not in his DNA to be able to admit to that.

I bid you all adieu. For anyone who wants to contact me about my particular workaround, feel free to contact me by private message. My public presence on the Mint forum ends now.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Let's recall the post which set us off on this frolic.
pbear wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:17 pm
dojero wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:55 pm ... rEFIND is an effective solution, but that solution will work with any USB that can take over the boot process.
Clever solution. You've made it more complicated than it needs to be, though. Assuming you have a full install USB drive, os-prober should add any internal systems to its Grub menu without special effort. At least it does with Mint and Ubuntu.
Pleasant, even complimentary, but that wasn't good enough for you. No comment on your parting shots. This has to end somewhere. Have a nice day.
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aughey »

I installed LM21 on my HP. It kept booting straight into Windows 10. I discovered there was two entrys in the bios one for window the other for Linux and by changing the order of these placing the Linux on first it now presents me with the usual grub screen to choose either Linux or Windows.

1. I pressed "esc" to to get a "startup menu"
2. then I pressed f10 to go to "Bios Setup"
3. then I pressed the right arrow to choose "System Configuration"
4. The bottom item in the list here is "Boot Options".
5. Press enter then use the down arrow to choose "OS Boot Manager"
6. Click that and you will see Windows Boot Manager and below it Ubuntu boot manager listed.
7. Use the f5 orf6 key to swop the order to put Ubuntu at the top.
8. then hit f10 to save this and exit.

This worked for me
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Aughey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:52 pm I installed LM21 on my HP. It kept booting straight into Windows 10. I discovered there was two entrys in the bios one for window the other for Linux and by changing the order of these placing the Linux on first it now presents me with the usual grub screen to choose either Linux or Windows.

+1
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Aughey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:52 pm I installed LM21 on my HP. It kept booting straight into Windows 10. I discovered there was two entrys in the bios one for window the other for Linux and by changing the order of these placing the Linux on first it now presents me with the usual grub screen to choose either Linux or Windows.

+1. I used the same process
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Linxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linxer »

I also have an HP. HP computers are not really great. They used to be Compact from what I heard before being bought out.

Anyway, have you tried mashing the escape key the moment you see your screen turn on when trying to boot, then pressing F9 after? This enters the EUFI bootloading screen where you can then select windows EFI or Linux EFI (will show as Ubuntu for Linux Mint), which when selected will then take you to the Linux-made boot menu (so there are 2 boot menus). I have not set mine to default to linux yet since I'm still working on it.

Edit: I know I'm a bit late to this party, but since I've typed this out anyway I might as well add in
7. Use the f5 orf6 key to swop the order to put Ubuntu at the top.
Trying to change the boot order should be this simple, but it did not do anything for me, probably a different button map on my laptop model.

Return to “Tutorials”