PIA VPN Working - 18.1 Serena

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
saskgui17

PIA VPN Working - 18.1 Serena

Post by saskgui17 »

Hi - I am posting this since I am usually the one to just ask questions as I don't know much about Linux... or computers in general. I think this could be a help to others who are searching similar issues.

Recently I installed Linux for the first time, the version was Mint 18 Sarah, I liked it when it worked but often had problems installing programs that were not available in the built in package manager. When it came to installing a VPN I tried to install Private Internet Access since I already subscribed with Windows. However I had no success. In the end after emailing back and forth it finally worked, well sort of. I could not get their GUI to work but I could manually configure the network settings. It was a happy medium I guess.

Now I installed 18.1 Serena, with a clean slate I attempted to install PIA again and it was so easy. Below is the code I received from them to copy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To download our Linux client please use the following download link:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/i ... ller_linux
Once the download is completed in order to complete the install process please use the following steps:

From the terminal in the directory you downloaded to:
1) Extract file:
tar -xzf pia-v68-installer-linux.tar.gz

2) Tell OS to proceed:
chmod +x pia-v68-installer-linux.sh

3) Run installer:
./pia-v68-installer-linux.sh

Once the software is successfully installed, you should see a client icon in your system tray near the clock. The icon will appear to be a small, red robot icon if disconnected. and bright green if connected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways this worked seamlessly, even the GUI works just like a Windows installation. Initially I I did not see these instructions on the website, maybe they have been added since. Oh and if you are super new to Linux like me and don't know which way is up read this. Under step one when you wish to extract the file you need to open up a terminal window and navigate with the terminal to the folder where the file is you downloaded. So for me since my user name is lyl i typed in: "cd /home/lyl/Downloads". Don't include the quotes of course, this navigates the terminal to the download folder so it knows where to extract the file (assuming it is in the default Downloads folder of course).

I suppose those who know Linux will laugh at this post since I am probably talking about such simple things but for me since it was never explained how to navigate to a folder.

Hope this helps someone as I always am the one to ask for help and never in the position to help.

ps. I am not promoting PIA nor am I affiliated with the in anyway, I just happen to use them with Window's since they were the cheapest one I could find at the time. They may not be the best.

pps. I thought this should go under networking but I could not post in that area for some reason.
BlueStar

Re: PIA VPN Working - 18.1 Serena

Post by BlueStar »

Thanks for the post, Great help!

Return to “Tutorials”