Freezing touchpad browser videos - Intel

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
flyer
Level 1
Level 1

Freezing touchpad browser videos - Intel

Post by flyer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:09 am

Hi

I just thought I'd post this in case anybody finds it helpful. I run Linux Mint 18.1 Mate and have been having problems with freezing and then having to restart my computer.

Admittedly this happened in Windows 10 as well, I have it installed on a partition somewhere, but will only use it under duress, Windows always did spit out its drivers, so I was convinced it was a driver problem.

However Linux Mint I use everyday and I do care about. I've read about this problem in forums all over the place and no real answer. Here's a quick and simple solution that's worked for me and perhaps you'd like to try, takes about 30 seconds.

Go to the Mint Menu - select Administration / Driver Manager - enter superuser password - there are two options: select 'Intel-Microcode' , click apply changes and restart.

I don't know too much about this, but it seems to assist with running on Intel chips and all I know is that the problem has gone away and everything is running smoothly. You can always change back if it causes you problems.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards flyer

flyer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Freezing touchpad browser videos - Intel

Post by flyer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Just an update, this didn't last long.

What I did in the end was to uninstall the i915 intel graphics driver (use Bash or Synaptic), first deselect "use Intel-Microcode" in the Driver Manager. Then reboot and this will force the system to use the driver built into the Linux Kernel in the latest versions of Mint.

All good so far!

noblow91
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Freezing touchpad browser videos - Intel

Post by noblow91 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:10 am

im pretty sure the microcode thing is just to use the proprietary drivers to communicate with the motherboard. i keep it installed purely because it should be more compatible with my hardware than the generic one supplied by the distro. as for the freezing, this is what fixed it for me: Random Freezing Possible Fix

my computer hasnt froze up a single time since i made that post. and i regularly have massive amounts of open tabs in my browser...had over 50 tabs with video stuffs open yesterday and the worst i experienced was a little system lag from my ram being full...

Return to “Tutorials”