[SOLVED] Migrating outlook to Claws mail

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
flyingrhino
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Migrating outlook to Claws mail

Post by flyingrhino »

You've decided to join us ! Welcome :)

Outlook uses a proprietary archive format in the form of .pst files.
Luckily, some good folks have written a program called readpst which does all the hard work for us. It's available in the LM software manager.

This page
https://cortman.wordpress.com/2013/04/2 ... laws-mail/
explains the process quite well.

They use 'readpst -D -M -b -o destination_folder Outlook.pst'
however I find it easier to exclude the -D argument because I'm not interested in deleted messages.

Anyway, what you'll end up with is a nice folder structure which mimics the original pst file it came from.

Next, it's a simple import into claws mail and you're all set.
Freedom at last !
Last edited by flyingrhino on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Migrating outlook to Claws mail

Post by coffee412 »

Very nice! Thanks for posting that.

I wish Thunderbird would do more in the area of mimicking an exchange setup. Something to rival exchange. I have tried Icewarp and that works very well once all setup.

Really hate Outlook as MS has made it harder to install when your running your own exchange server. Outlook 2013 works great and is before they made the change.

I use thunderbird right now. Love it. Do wish they would work on the graphics a bit more. I also wonder when Mozilla drops the extensions on its next release if this will affect thunderbird too? Hope not. I use a font plugin for thunderbird.

Anyways, Enough rambling. Good post worth book marking!

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
flyingrhino
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Migrating outlook to Claws mail

Post by flyingrhino »

Have a look at the other two posts I made about claws mail:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=237118
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=235830

Gives more incentive to move to claws - as long as you can live without HTML mail...
I use thunderbird right now. Love it. Do wish they would work on the graphics a bit more.
I was on thunderbird 2 years ago but it crashed every few minutes . It got so bad that I had to find an alternative and claws was perfect.
I'm also a huge keyboard person (again - see my posts on keyboard shortcuts for various programs), and claws ticks that box too.

Return to “Tutorials”