using a wifi hotspot, and eth0 with teamviewer to allow remote access to router [SOLVED]

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
kender30

using a wifi hotspot, and eth0 with teamviewer to allow remote access to router [SOLVED]

Post by kender30 »

I have always said there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people asking questions. Now, I feel like a stupid person having to ask this question. I am a long-time Linux user but have never had to deal with using two network interfaces at the same time before. I am working as an independent contractor and on some of my installs, I am asked to rack a router, connect my laptop port to it via eth0, and then connect to my phone's hotspot via my WiFi adapter. A back-end technician then uses teamviewer to put all of the proprietary scripts and configurations on said router. I need to be able to accept a DHCP address on both networks. The problem with this is Linux doesn't seem to want to play nice when using both network interfaces at the same time like this. I want to get rid of my windows partition altogether but since I run into this scenario a lot, I am stuck dual booting. Is there any way to configure the network to bridge the two networks across my laptop like Windows does by default?
Last edited by kender30 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: using a wifi hotspot, and eth0 with teamviewer to allow remote access to router

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am going to be watching this closely, I too use TeamViewer to help clients.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kender30

Re: using a wifi hotspot, and eth0 with teamviewer to allow remote access to router

Post by kender30 »

Once again, I spent a week searching for an answer to my problem to no avail. I posted the question on a forum and found the answer the next day. I started playing with things and realized that the network was defaulting to en0 as its default route to the internet. Then I remembered playing around with the network connections editor and a setting that set the a device to never be the default adapter. I played around some more and got everything sorted. Here's exactly what I did:
img1.jpg
Right click on the network connection icon on the taskbar.
Click on the "Edit Connections..." menu item.

img2.jpg
In this case, we want the wireless connection to connect to the internet and the wired connection to only access the local network it is connected to, so select "Wired connection 1 " and click "Edit"

img3.jpg
Click on the "IPv4 Settings" tab and then click the "Routes" button.

The forum is only letting me put three pictures in a post so I will follow up with the rest in another.
Last edited by kender30 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kender30

Post by kender30 »

img4.jpg
Check the checkbox next to "Use this connection only for resources on its network".
Click the "OK" Button

img5.png
Click the "Save" button to save the changes.

img6.png
Now the network is set up so that wlo1 is the default adapter. The default gateway assigned to this card will be the one the system uses to route to the internet connection from the hotspot so the back-end support can access TeamViewer.

eno1 is now set to access local network resources only. As long as the local NAT IP address assigned to wlo1 by the hotspot is in a different range or subnet than the local IP address assigned to eno1 (in this case 192.168.5.155 and 192.168.0.3, respectively), the laptop will now allow back-end support to connect to the target router and any other resource on that particular local area network. The configurations can be made and scripts uploaded. Yay!

After finishing up, eno1 will not be the default adapter any more but it goes a little further than that. Any gateway assigned to it will pretty much be ignored. It will only be able to access resources on a local network even if there if no WiFi or other network connection enabled. Be sure to change the connection settings back before trying to establish a wired internet connection again.
Last edited by kender30 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi kender30 - - this stuff is always handy to know.
8)

many thanks from the rest of us, for writing this Tutorial :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kender30

Re: using a wifi hotspot, and eth0 with teamviewer to allow remote access to router [SOLVED]

Post by kender30 »

Thank you. I didn't realize this answer would warrant being moved to the tutorials section. I feel somewhat honored. Since it's going to be in the tutorials section, I have made a few small edits to make it more technically correct.

Return to “Tutorials”