- Type: /query NickServ
- Type: /nick JimmyNeutron (This will change your nickname to JimmyNeutron, you can choose any nickname you prefer)
- Wait 45 seconds, if your nick is changed to GuestXXXXX, this means the nickname is already registered by someone else, so go back to step B and try a different nickname.
- Type: /msg NickServ REGISTER passwordhere firstname.lastname@example.org (fill in a valid email, as you'll need to verify registration within 24h)
Now you'll have to verify your registration or the nickname will be dropped after 24h, in order to do so, check your email, the verification email is most likely in your SPAM folder.
In the verification email you will see a command similar to this: /msg NickServ VERIFY REGISTER qf06g8ah68afh08a6h08.
Copy this line from email, and paste it in the NickServ tab in Hexchat
If verification was done correctly, you'll see something like this:
NickServ: (notice) JimmyNeutron has now been verified.
NickServ: (notice) Thank you for verifying your e-mail address!
You will have to login with NickServ at least once every 60 days or your nickname registration will expire and will be dropped. From that moment on, anyone else can register the nickname.
Step 2 : Set up SSL & SASL
IMPORTANT: Disconnect Hexchat before doing these changes!
IMPORTANT: If you opened Hexchat through Welcome Screen, close it and open it through the Mint menu as opening it in Welcome Screen will override certain connection settings
in Hexchat menu:
- Network list...
- click on "Linux Mint" network (or "Freenode" network if you're setting up freenode irc network)
- click "Edit..."
- click the "remove" button top right
- click the "add" button and fill in:
irc.spotchat.org( for Freenode irc network: the server address should be:
- enable "Use SSL for all the servers on this network"
- disable "Use global user information"
Fill in these text fields:
IMPORTANT: You have to fill in ALL these input fields!
- Nick name: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(your preferred nickname)
- Second choice: . . . . . . . . . . . . (alternative nickname in case first nickname is already in use on the server)
- Real name: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (you can use any name you please here)
- User name: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (use your nickserv registration nickname!!)
- Password: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(fill in your nickname registration password)
- Set "Login method" to "SASL (username + password)"
click Close >> Connect
You are now using a secure connection and NickServ login will be automatic from now on! Have fun!