[SOLVED] Timeshift not excluding directories selected

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Timeshift not excluding directories selected

Post by APSchmidt »

Hi,

I have a problem with Timeshift: it doesn't exclude the directories I have selected to be excluded in the settings. Below is an image of the filters, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Timeshift and the Settings

Post by AndyMH »

Try changing the order, put include /home/anne/.** last in the list. Might work. I remember similar problems when I wrote my own rsync backup scripts a few years ago.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by APSchmidt »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:33 pm Try changing the order, put include /home/anne/.** last in the list. Might work. I remember similar problems when I wrote my own rsync backup scripts a few years ago.
Well, thank you for the tip. I did that and now it works as intended. :)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When I did my own backups with rsync scripts I went round in circles before I got the includes and excludes right. It's all about the order. Originally you told it to include everything, so the following excludes had no effect. Doing the excludes first means that the include takes account of the previous excludes. Not the best way to define something, but that's the way rsync works :?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by APSchmidt »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:51 pm ... Originally you told it to include everything, so the following excludes had no effect. Doing the excludes first means that the include takes account of the previous excludes. Not the best way to define something, but that's the way rsync works :?
Well, it's kinda logical, if you think about it. :)

But, the working order puts the exclude first, then the include and then the root folder. Here is the part of the config file that handles the exclude:

Code: Select all

"exclude" : [
    "/home/anne/.steam/***",
    "/home/anne/.config/unity3d/cache/***",
    "+ /home/anne/.**",
    "/root/**"
  ],
Apparently, the original order must be considered a block that cannot be reordered, you just have to put the additional exclude at the top of the list. This doesn't seem to be explained anywhere though... Thanks again!

Edit: oh, by the way! do you know how I could force Timeshift to start at a fixed hour in the day?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Edit: oh, by the way! do you know how I could force Timeshift to start at a fixed hour in the day?
No, I have mine set automatic, once a day. I assume it is using anacron for scheduling so that if the computer is not on at a specific time it still gets run. There might be a clue in the config files, I've never looked.

Return to “Software & Applications”