Sharing a folder Mint Mate 19

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
sersha

Sharing a folder Mint Mate 19

Post by sersha »

After the installation of Linux Mint Mate 19, sharing is not enabled by default.
Solution:
# # if samba not installed, then:
sudo apt install samba

# # after that
sudo apt install caja-share

# # caja-share is for Mint Mate, use appropriate versions for other env
# # now folder /var/lib/samba/usershares is absent, create it

sudo mkdir /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chmod 1770 /var/lib/samba/usershares

# # reboot, then right-click on a folder, select Sharing Options etc. Done!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Sharing a folder Mint Mate 19

Post by catweazel »

sersha wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:55 am sudo mkdir /var/lib/samba/usershares
Why on earth would you put a share inside /var/lib?

Good grief.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

/var/lib/samba/usershares is where samba places share definitions when the share is created though file manager which caja-share in MATE facilitates.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
cyberschelm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyberschelm »

This worked like a charm, thanks for sharing.

After executing the commands above my Windows 7 machine was able to connect to the shared Public folder on my fresh install Linux Mint 19 Mate machine, but my Mint machine could not connect to the Public folder I had created and shared on my Windows 7 machine. I found that 2 things were needed to make this happen:

# # Set a password for samba:
sudo smbpasswd -a your_username

# # Limit the protocols for samba:
xed admin:///etc/samba/smb.conf

And in the global settings, below the line 'workgroup=WORKGROUP', add the line:
client max protocol = NT1

then reboot.

After this you can use 'browse network' in caja to go to the windows machine and open the share.

My Windows 7 machine's network is set on "public" and it's advanced share settings are on "Turn ON password protected sharing", so I got a "Password required" popup window upon first connection. On more relaxed share settings in Windows 7 this popup might not appear, I did not try that.

Fill out:
username: your_windows_username
domain: your_windows_workgroupname
password: your_windows_user's_password

and choose between:
Forget password immediately
Remember password until you logout
Remember forever

I chose remember forever to be done with it until Mint 20 comes out.

From hereon the Public folder I shared on my Windows 7 machine was accessible from Linux Mint.

I realize that this is technically outside the scope of the tread, but it's only 2 little extra things to do to have it working both ways so I thought it usefull to post it regardless.
I am NOT hampered by any knowledge.
DoubleA

Post by DoubleA »

First of all I would like to thank you for the awesome tips. However this instructions only works for shared folder inside the "Home" directory. When I try to share a folder on other drive on the Linux Mint Mate 19.1 64-bit machine, the Windows 7 machine will spit out error about permission etc. :(
I am currently in the midst to migrate from Windows 7 with total 11 HDD containing data and I need a way to share multiple folders residing in those HDDs. Any instructions will be much appreciated.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What is the full path to the folder being shared?

What you are describing happens when you mount something to /media/your-user-name/XXX.

One way around this is to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add this one:

Code: Select all

force user = your-user-name
Then restart smbd:

sudo service smbd restart
If your path is something different you need to show people here how you are set up. THe output of the following will tell them that:

net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
sdet00

Post by sdet00 »

Gosh this is needlessly complicated. Is there really no easier way to share a folder via SMB?
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

sdet00 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:05 am Gosh this is needlessly complicated. Is there really no easier way to share a folder via SMB?
AMEN !!!
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com

Return to “Tutorials”