Mint 18.3 / Mint 19 - reduce your boot time by 8-10 seconds in 30 seconds.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint 18.3 / Mint 19 - reduce your boot time by 8-10 seconds in 30 seconds.

Post by thx-1138 »

...gm10, i don't know - for one thing, i'm certainly affected by this (note that the bug exists since...2009).
Personally i've just set it to 3 secs & hidden (haven't tested with anything less than 1...just to be on the safe side)...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:20 am ...gm10, i don't know - for one thing, i'm certainly affected by this.
Personally i've just set it to 3 secs & hidden (haven't tested with anything less than 1...just to be on the safe side)...
Would be interesting to know if 0.1 seconds and holding it would work for you then, because according to that explanation it wouldn't, so until proven otherwise I'll keep saying that if you use 0.1 you might as well use 0. Not that it really matters in the greater scheme of things, I didn't expect this to become a discussion actually. ;)

Nevertheless, even if the issue is real, I still don't buy the explanation given. Holding shift works for me on several different systems using UEFI boot. It only fails if you hold it down too early. It must only be held down after POST is complete, not before (I always say to hold it down after the BIOS screen disappears). So whatever the reason, it's not a general UEFI issue.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...well, in the greater scheme of things, there are various bugs lurking around in regards to timeout
(check workarounds on #8 and #22 also)... :wink:
Can't say i have the patience of going through all of them every now & then that devs go foobar, so i just stay with 1 sec... :mrgreen:

Anyway, my point is that i wouldn't 'trust' a zero value to necessarily always work (as it theoritically should) out of the box.
I'd start with 1, then possibly test further down if such is really needed...

Return to “Tutorials”