Re: Mint 18 & 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes for Asus Routers

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
sephula
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 18 & 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes for Asus Routers

Post by sephula »

After reading all of the other forum posts, and following all of the other guides, I was still having trouble logging into my samba share on an AC 68U Asus Router, until I found this advice: viewtopic.php?t=256728. :shock:

Apparently, Asus still uses an older logon protocol, and you should disable the NTLMv2 in your smb.conf. :roll: I tried all of the other advice, until I found that helpful tidbit, and so I figured I should save others the trouble and add the advice, here. :D

Note, I have to use the "Connect to Server" routine in Nemo in order to access my shares (Use "smb://192.168.1.1" or whatever you set as the server IP address, add your WORKGROUP name, user name, and password). However, you don't need to every time, since you are also able to save the login credentials, and create a "Bookmark" of the shared folder for quicker access. :D

Some of these things may be unnecessary, but for completeness sake, here is what all I, in the end, added to my /etc/samaba/smb.conf file (You must completely reboot in order to apply):

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = WORKGROUP
client min protocol = NT1
; netbios name = [redacted]
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

client NTLMv2 auth = no
client use spnego = no

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
# wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
wins server = 192.168.1.1

Return to “Tutorials”