[GUIDE] How to hibernate to a swap file in Linux Mint 19.x

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [GUIDE] How to hibernate to a swap file in Linux Mint 19.x

Post by BrunoMiranda »

niko wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:45 pm I found Mint to be terrific but with a laptop being able to either hibernate or suspend is very useful. So after a week of trying to do that with Mint I gave up
Hi Niko, and welcome around.
Regarding hibernation, I generally use uswsusp, and configure it with sudo dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp.
Even if the GUI or the buttons fail, you can invoke s2ram or s2disk from a terminal, and in general it works really well.

Mint 20 is out now and it will be supported for 5 years, so it is a very good LTS (Long Term Support) base. Give it a try if you feel like it.
If you need any help regarding hibernation, create a new post and PM me the link to it, so I can reply to you and make that solution available for all (or someone who know far far more than I do can give you even better help).

Cheers!
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)
fleamour
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fleamour »

Wondering if this'll get updated for mint 20?
Lenovo ThinkPad X250 i7 ~ Mint 20 Cinnamon
sour_diesel

Post by sour_diesel »

Oh man! This is such a great post I've been using it as a reference tool forever! I just wanted to also say:

CONFIRMED WORKING WITH MINT 20 CINNAMON - FRESH INSTALL 07-2020

I just got done setting up my mint 20 install to a USB stick for work purposes. Hibernation now working and I'm so super stoked about it!
fnx

Post by fnx »

Thanks for this guide.
Hibernating workrf thanks following this guide.
I had to deactivate the Secure Boot in the BIOS

However, if the hibernation worked, the resume failed.
EDIT: I thought I had solve it but nope... Wake-up/Resume is still failing: I cannot recover my previous session:
here are the steps I took to try to solve this problem, with no luck so fat.

Code: Select all

sudo xed /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
# add the following line in it (file did not exist before)
RESUME=LABEL=SWAP_HDD1

sudo update-initramfs -u

update /etc/default/grub with (I removed quiet to keep track of boot message)
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" splash resume=LABEL=SWAP_HDD1"

sudo update-grub
If you wonder : I use label [SWAP_HDD1] for my swap partition instead of uuid, because swap is often formatted during OS installation, and the uuid changes and it breaks the configuration. However you can safely use uuid instead.

To check and confirm uuid and label, I use

bklid
the keyword symptomatic for this error in the boot log is:
Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
Hoping it helps
----

Host: Aspire VN7-572G
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

If you wonder : I use label [SWAP_HDD1] for my swap partition instead of uuid, because swap is often formatted during OS installation, and the uuid changes and it breaks the configuration. However you can safely use uuid instead.
You might have given yourself a solution there. I was going to mention using UUID instead but you have mentioned it yourself.

So question is: have you tried using UUID instead of the label [SWAP_HDD1], just to rule this out?

Regarding reinstalls, I believe the Mint installer (Ubiquity?) allows you to skip formatting partitions, so you can reinstall without formatting swap and so keep its UUID.
Meanwhile, if you change the UUID, you have to manually update it on /etc/fstab and also on /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume (not sure if I'm missing some other file that should be updated. Eventually /etc/uswsusp.conf if you use uswsusp).
Since resume information is read from the initramfs, after changing things around you can't forget updating it using sudo update-initramfs -u.
Or use tune2fs to change the partition's UUID back to what it used to be.

Talking about it, have you given a try using uswsusp?
After installing it, you can configure it by running sudo dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp, and it will ask for a hibernation swap. If there are more than one configured somewhere it will show it to you, thus giving you some more troubleshooting information that you might be missing.
I had a laptop with Mint19.3 that was failing resume (after I followed this procedure to change it to make it happen on a file [it worked] but then I had second thoughts and wanted it back on the partition [because I have 2 OSs that can share it, saving me precious 5GB on a 32GB onboard SSD]).
When using the hibernation on the GUI resume would fail, but when using uswsusp's s2disk from the terminal it worked flawlessly. I just couldn't reassign uswsusp back to the GUI.

So, in short, have you tried:
1) UUID instead of the label [SWAP_HDD1]?
2) installing and configuring uswsusp?
Bye for now,
Bruno

sr001d

Re: How to enable hibernation with swap partition on Linux Mint 19

Post by sr001d »

I went through the guide that was mentioned in the first topic.
and the first command

RESUME_PARAMS="resume=UUID=$(findmnt / -o UUID -n) resume_offset=$(sudo filefrag -v /swapfile|awk 'NR==4{gsub(/\./,"");print $4;}') "
gives me an error:
open: No such file or directory

I think, due to my swap file is placed on logic partition however it is equal to my RAM.
Could someone tell me how to solve it?
I am using Linux Mint 20.
Thanks.
Last edited by MrEen on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post moved to the proper topic referenced from https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=273202
JaguarNight
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JaguarNight »

This method worked on Win10 / LM20 Cinnamon dual boot on SSD !!! THANKS!

However hibernate to swap partition did not work on the same dual boot installation.
Basically hiberate to swap file - works, hibernate to swap partition - does not work.
laptop would not turn off.

Assuming the reason Ubuntu 20 replaced swap partition setup with swap file setup.

Thanks!
marmint

Post by marmint »

Awesome Guide!! Thank you very much!

I am using Mint 20 for a few weeks now and before i configured my xps13 with this tutorial i had some problems that my battery lost up to 10 percent if i just closed the lid and didn't use my notebook quite a while... That was annoying.

Hibernation works now if i'm on battery, awesome!! My Disk is luks-encrypted, but that wasn't any problem at all. Every time i open the lid i have to enter my luks passphrase and continue from where i left my system, very great!

One feature i would like to add to my current setup, maybe someone knows how i can achieve it:
==> Is it possible to configure that mint first goes to suspend mode when the lid is closed and only goes in hibernate if it stays there for example 2 hours?
For me it would be very useful/pleasant. If this works i'm able to login again by just providing my user-password, but there would be no need to enter the luks passphrase every time...

Thanks for this guide and in advance for every idea how i can reach a from suspend=>hibernation mode automatically

regard
nickc10

Post by nickc10 »

Works well on Optiplex 760 SFF running Mint 20.

Very nice, clear instructions. Took only 10 minutes to setup.

Thanks!
JaguarNight
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JaguarNight »

This worked on HP 15 laptop with SSD, dual boot windows 10 and lm20 cinnamon
BUT ONLY AFTER I disabled secure boot in BIOS !!!
with secure boot enabled in bios - hibernate did not work, hibernate option did not show up in shutdown menu.

to check:
cat /sys/power/disk
if disabled then reboot go to bios and disable secure boot
then recheck..

ALSO, it's a good idea to disable fast boot in win 10, under power settings,
because in fast boot drive is locked and if you access win 10 files from linux - may corrupt windows

For the same reason if you hibernate windows - don't write any files to win 10 from linux, not
a good idea.

in short:
1. if hibernate don't work per post -> disable secure boot in bios
2. if you plan to access win 10 file system and win partition from linux -> disable fast boot in win 10
3. if you plan to access win 10 file system and write to win files -> do not hibernate win 10 instead in that case use shutdown win.

regards.
swawif

Post by swawif »

Finally got mine working correctly
for couple of days, I cannot get my laptop to resume, everytime i tried to hibernate, it always behave like a normal shutdown. starting fresh.

Apparently, if you use Grub Customizer, your default linuxmint boot option would not contain the command to resume from swap, it would just boot as if it was powered off
The boot option that would actually resume is actually inside the Advance Option for Ubuntu > Ubuntu, with linux x.xx Generic
(yes i know, for some reason it's ubuntu, don't ask why, i'm confused as well)

i haven't bothered to get the default option to go to resume, if anyone willing to try, you're very welcome to
I hope this help someone that has a rough day
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

Hi all,

I'm confirming this works on my HP Envy laptop of 6 years old.
I have changed my swap file size from 2 to 6 GB (my laptop has 4 GB RAM), all working OK.

However...
  1. Resume from hibernate is equally fast as a normal reboot, except maybe that no password entry is required
  2. If I do an actual reboot, after hibernation, I get the GRUB menu asking how I want to boot. Not very practical, as it required manual intervention of a 25 second wait.
So, I like to remove the hibernation functionality again.
I removed it from the menu shutdown option as shown in this post, i.e. by running sudo rm -v /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

All OK there.

But, in my /etc/default/grub, there is still a line referring to (I assume) hibernation (second last line):

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=68fbe5ec-bf03-40a1-9606-6737a9680703 resume_offset=7448576 quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
So, my questions being:
  1. Do I need, or should I better, change my GRUB to exclude hibernation again? And if yes, how do I do that?
  2. Is there anything else I need to roll back to?
I'm OK with my swap file being 6 GB, I have no storage issue.
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

So, my questions being:
Do I need, or should I better, change my GRUB to exclude hibernation again? And if yes, how do I do that?
Is there anything else I need to roll back to?
Hi CarrotCake,
If you just change your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, everytime you update Grub (either by manually invoking update-grub or by installing a new kernel, etc.) that hibernation setting will be set back again.

The solution setting your own grub preferences is changing /etc/default/grub. update-grub reads this file when updating grub.cfg.

Probably the easiest and safest way to do it is executing on a terminal

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
and comment that resume line (adding a # sign in the beginning of it as these lines are considered human comments and not computer executable stuff).
After editing the file you press the Control key + x (ctrl + x) and you have to save it. (I'm using the portuguese locale so I guess you have to press the y key to say yes to saving the file.)
Not a bad idea to make a backup of that file before messing up with it. My mantra is Always backup before you f-up! :mrgreen:
You can check back the file to make sure it has been altered the way you want.
and then manually run

sudo update-grub
After it check your /boot/grub/grub.cfg and that resume line should not be there.
Reboot and check if things are working your way now. :wink:

I'm not a grub expert so some things might be escaping me but clearing that resume option from grub.cfg seems simple.

Be aware that this may brake hibernation or something else regarding booting as messing up with grub can always go wrong, so be careful. Again, making a backup of a file before messing up with it is always a good procedure that can save you time and headaches.
As an emergency measure I recommend having a Linux Mint bootable USB drive because when you need it, you really do need it for now and your computer may not be booting to create one... And with a Mint bootable drive you have a functioning OS that can mount the drive of your existing installation and edit those files or even chroot into it (entering the other operating system) for fixing stuff.

By the way, have you tried using s2disk for hibernation?
It's my preferred method for hibernation. It's faster, uses compression, shows progress while hibernating and gives you the chance to press the r key while hibernation to reboot the computer (to another OS) instead of shutting down.

Let me know if something here is unclear or you need anything else I can help. Cheers.
Bye for now,
Bruno

CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

Hi Bruno,

Luckily I have the USB disk I used for installing Linux, last week, at hand :)

Per your instructions, I changed the grub file by copying the line in question and commenting it out (so I could revert easily), and changing the non-commented line to "quiet splash" only (so removed the resume= and resume_offset elements).
Gedit didn't exist on my system so instead I used sudo xed /etc/default/grub followed by sudo update-grub

It seems to do the trick allright. No issues, no more menus, just the way it was before.

I didn't try s2disk. I just followed the tutorial in the start post of this topic.
But it is OK, this works fine.
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
fpineyro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fpineyro »

Hi finally I can hibernate my NB with mint 20.
The problem was when I executed the following lines

RESUME_PARAMS="resume=UUID=$(findmnt / -o UUID -n) resume_offset=$(sudo filefrag -v /swapfile|awk 'NR==4{gsub(/\./,"");print $4;}') "
if grep resume /etc/default/grub>/dev/null; then echo -e "\nERROR: Hibernation already configured. Remove the existing configuration from /etc/default/grub and add these parameters instead:\n$RESUME_PARAMS";else sudo sed -i "s/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"$RESUME_PARAMS/" /etc/default/grub;fi

in etc/default/grub was modify like that:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=07f1c0e3-c9d5-4d38-96e5-b295b9e0d501 resume_offset=44935168 quiet splash"

then I deleted the following line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

and then It works!!

Thanks a lot to everyone to this great function.
Regards
coffeeguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coffeeguy »

I've followed this carefully, and the various scripts are working, but when I attempt to hibernate, the OS switches to the lock screen, flashes black for about 2 seconds, then back to the lock screen (with the clock) where it freezes. A hard boot is required to clear. I'm on Mint 20.1, have secure boot turned off, and am using an 18 GB swap file because I have 16GB of RAM. The hardware is a Dell Inspiron 7573 laptop.
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

Try installing uswsusp:

sudo apt install uswsusp
And then reboot.
Then open a terminal and order the computer to hibernate:

sudo s2disk
(you can also suspend through)

sudo s2ram
(or try mixed hibernation - it saves all RAM to disk and then suspends, if you run out of battery the system becomes hibernated and you won't lose data)

sudo s2both
You might eventually have to configure uswsusp or make sure it's all good, specially checking it is using the hibernation file for suspension:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp
(usually you just have to press Enter to accept what it is proposed after checking it's OK, and it usually is. If it says it doesn't have some valid swap, accept it and later on you'll be presented to select a detected one, and your swap file should be presented there.)

If this works it means your hardware and OS can hibernate and there's some mess in software. There are a lot of configuration files and this is a complicated mess, I've been able to fix some things but I honestly don't know what and where have I fixed things... :oops:

I prefer s2disk for hibernation as it is faster, shows progress (I don't like the showing of your screen and not knowing how it's going and you can actually not distinguish between a successful hibernation and a failed one with potential loss of data because your bad old battery suddenly died on you and the system just went puff), if you press the r key while hibernating the system will reboot instead of shut down - practical for testing or running multiple OSs, and most important for me, if you press backspace while hibernating it will abort and get back to your desktop - for me this one is critical because I'm the kind of guy that thinks everything is done, hibernates the computer and then I just realize something was missing and I need to get back without having to wait for hibernation to complete, power the computer back on again, wait for it to resume (meanwhile calling myself dumb every nanosecond) and finally go back to my thing.

The caveat here with s2disk is that it can be called by the normal hibernation procedure (through the menu on the GUI or pressing a function key or power button if configured to do so) but that does not always happen and I don't know how to fix that. For some time I had a system that behaved kinda like yours if I pressed the power button to hibernate (and lose data) and to hibernate I had to go to the terminal and invoke s2disk with sudo and had to write a password, not practical, and until I had my muscle memory adjusted I pressed the power button by mistake and lost it all :?
Meanwhile, upgrading from Mint 19.3 to 20 solved it automatically and now all is working fine.

So follow the above instructions to check if your OS and hardware can really hibernate and then let us know how it went.
Bye for now,
Bruno

coffeeguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coffeeguy »

Thanks, Bruno. S2disk works perfectly, but I have a couple remaining issues. The hibernate option is still on the shutdown dialog box; can it be reprogrammed to call s2disk? Also, what is optimal for the swap file? Since it's not being used for hibernation, I assume it can be smaller.
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

You're welcome, @coffeeguy,
S2disk works perfectly, but I have a couple remaining issues. The hibernate option is still on the shutdown dialog box; can it be reprogrammed to call s2disk?
Like I wrote on my previous post, I don't know how to fix that and failed to do so on my own Linux Mint installations. I would like to but I just can't help you our on this one, sorry.
Maybe if you open your own topic about this someone who knows better than I do can help you out. Please post the link for it here so I can also follow it as I'm also interested on this. Thanks!

Also, what is optimal for the swap file? Since it's not being used for hibernation, I assume it can be smaller.
More info here:
viewtopic.php?t=297353

I come from the Microsoft world (and dropped it) and there the rule of thumb would be to have a swap 1,5 times your RAM.
It all depends on how much RAM do you have on your system, how much RAM do you need on your daily driving and how much RAM do you need peak usage - and here I would consider hibernating.
Do you have a slow but lasting spinning HDD or a faster but wearable SSD or NVME (specially if it is soldered onboard and therefore irreplaceable)?

The thing with hibernation is a black or white thing: Either you don't use it at all, or if you want to use it ever you need to satisfy its swap needs in order for it not to fail on you, rendering it useless with potential data loss.

The thing with RAM is we should have enough of it for our regular usage. But if you can't afford, can't add to the hardware or simply don't want to, swapping may become an inevitability.

I'll present you with my 3 use cases:

1) This PC. It has 6GB of available RAM with an onboard NMVE I don't want to wear out with swapping.
Hibernation is disabled, no virtual machines here but Firefox is caching to RAM.
I have ZRAM installed (more on it later) and swappiness configured to zero (I do it in all my installations, more on it later) with a 512MB swap in compressed RAM.

2) Another laptop with 8GB of RAM with an old slow cheap Chinese 64GB SSD (but fast enough for Linux!) and a spinning HDD for VMs and a 4.3GB swap.
It uses s2disk and it compresses swap while hibernating (I don't know if the regular method for hibernating does it but I don't think so because it is slower, I assume it writes more to the disk so it takes more time). If I want to hibernate, I must be sure loaded RAM can't go above it or it may fail on me.
I believe it has ZRAM on it too with it's swap having priority, meaning it only swaps to the HDD after the ZRAM swap is full.

3) An old desktop computer with 2GB of RAM, with MATE installed and stuffed with 7 old 320GB HDDs for a Samba server. (I just love the sound of that rattle snake nest! :wink: )
It has ZRAM and HDD swap (can't remember values). But when I ran tests I got impressed and amazed that I could not bring that system to a halt by opening a megaton of programs at the same time. Sure it stuttered a little bit but for a 2 thread CPU and just 2GB of RAM that system can actually be perfectly usable for some regular everyday usage if I ever need it! (gooooood luck using Windows there!)

So as you can see, it depends on how much RAM you have and what is the purpose and use of that PC, there's no quick answer for you particular use and case.
Unless this is your production machine you need to work every day, make a backup :wink: and do it like in the old times with car toys: learn by breaking them! :mrgreen:
Have a bootable USB ISO at hand as it can be always useful.
There's not much to break here, worst chances you change some power button function on hibernation (like in your 1st question) in a way you can't revert back (like in my case), or fail to hibernate due to a bad configuration or insufficient swap (and lose unsaved data).
Don't forget to make a backup copy of every single configuration file you'll be editing, just in case.

So quick explanations:
Swappiness. It's the load at which the OS decides when to start swapping. On servers it should be earlier than in desktops and Ubuntu and it's derivatives (like Mint) according to some, starts swapping too soon, specially if you have a lot of RAM.
More here:
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/linux-swappiness/

ZRAM. It's a compressed swap that is located on your RAM, faster than anything else, at the expense of some CPU use for compression / deflation (it can use all cores). It can be used along with swapping to a HDD / SSD and configured to use ZRAM first until it is full.
It seems contradictory but using some RAM to compress swapping can in fact improve performance, like in my own 2GB RAM Samba server. How much RAM should you dedicate to it? There again, your own case, your own needs, your own tests...
More here:
viewtopic.php?t=301915
viewtopic.php?t=335132
viewtopic.php?t=322567
viewtopic.php?t=331447

There again, if you need more help on your specific case after reading the links above (for keeping on-topic sake), you can open your own new topic and post the link here so we can follow and chime in.
Bye for now,
Bruno

nooblinx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nooblinx »

Mint 20.1
RAM 8GB
resized swap to 11GB
hibernate shutdown successfully but after reboot do not restore session. instead, display login.
any suggestion?

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 
           wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: H55M-GE serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends 
           v: P1.30 date: 08/10/2010 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3 530 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem rev: 2 
           L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 23559 
           Speed: 2945 MHz min/max: 1200/2933 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2945 2: 2945 3: 2945 
           4: 2945 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia 
           v: 460.73.01 bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10de:128b 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nvidia 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.73.01 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: ASRock 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:3b56 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0e0f 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-58-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASRock 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d800 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: vboxnet0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 2.27 TiB used: 920.45 GiB (39.5%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: HD502HI size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s 
           serial: <filter> 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Toshiba model: DT01ACA100 size: 931.51 GiB speed: <unknown> 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Seagate model: ST31000528AS size: 931.51 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 246.39 GiB used: 65.65 GiB (26.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7 
USB:       Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Hub: 1-1:2 info: Intel Integrated Rate Matching Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 
           chip ID: 8087:0020 
           Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Hub: 2-1:2 info: Intel Integrated Rate Matching Hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 
           chip ID: 8087:0020 
           Device-1: 2-1.2:3 info: Seagate RSS LLC FreeAgent Desk 1TB type: Mass Storage 
           driver: usb-storage rev: 2.0 chip ID: 0bc2:3008 
           Device-2: 2-1.6:4 info: Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 type: Mouse 
           driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1 chip ID: 045e:00cb 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 47 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 50% 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/anydesk-stable.list 
           1: deb http: //deb.anydesk.com/ all main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https: //brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ethereum-ethereum-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/ethereum/ethereum/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fengestad-stable-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/fengestad/stable/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/gezakovacs-ppa-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/gezakovacs/ppa/ubuntu focal main
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth-pro.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/iconnor-zoneminder-1_34-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/iconnor/zoneminder-1.34/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/maarten-fonville-android-studio-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/maarten-fonville/android-studio/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/micahflee-ppa-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/micahflee/ppa/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http: //mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages ulyssa main upstream import backport
           2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openshot_developers-ppa-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/openshot.developers/ppa/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rock-core-qt4-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/rock-core/qt4/ubuntu focal main
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/scootersoftware.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/stebbins-handbrake-releases-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-releases/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http: //packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zinglau-obfuscated-openssh-focal.list 
           1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/zinglau/obfuscated-openssh/ubuntu focal main
Info:      Processes: 247 Uptime: 2m Memory: 7.76 GiB used: 1.24 GiB (16.0%) Init: systemd v: 245 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 8/9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client 
           inxi: 3.0.38 
still noob in linux :~$ echo "my english is not good"

Return to “Tutorials”