Full Install to USB Drive: Four Options

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
Longbottom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Full Install to USB Drive: Four Options

Post by Longbottom »

Thanks a lot for the reply!
sparks79
Level 1
Level 1

Reinstate Install OS from Live Version

Post by sparks79 »

Is it possible to Ad the App/Desktop Icon to Install Linux.
I have Installed Zorin OS 15.2 Ultimate on a USB3 SSD.
It works just fine and Fast, plus does'nt suffer from burnout like a normal flash drive, it actually has a Samsung Evo Plus 970 NVME M.2.
So Being Installed , it is not the same as a Live Version.
But a Nice Touch would be to have the capability to Install the OS on Any Drive from the USB3 Installed OS.
That way I would'nt need a seperate USB Flash Drive with the Live Version on it
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Reinstate Install OS from Live Version

Post by pbear »

sparks79 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:00 am
But a Nice Touch would be to have the capability to Install the OS on Any Drive from the USB3 Installed OS.
I've never done it myself, but fabien85 wrote a tutorial for full install + live ISO.
Personally, I'd rather carry a second flash drive. Live ISOs have a pretty short shelf life.
sparks79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sparks79 »

Thanks for that info.
pbear Can you Please Explain ( Personally, I'd rather carry a second flash drive. Live ISOs have a pretty short shelf life ).
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Simply that distros are updated frequently, so any given ISO is going to be superseded in one to six months.
Larry78723
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Larry78723 »

Another option for a portable full install instead of a flash drive, is an M2 card in a case. Prices for 256GB M2 SATA cards have dropped as well as the price for the cases. They're not much larger than a flash drive and are much more reliable and long lasting. A true SSD not much larger than a flash drive.
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Excellent suggestion. What I've noticed on the Forum, though, is that this is one of those issues folks go all "Scots" over (cheap on principle), for no particular reason except they don't understand the need, so insist on using what they already have. Oh well, their choice.
Larry78723
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Larry78723 »

pbear, I have a 1TB M2 card in a case that I use to do web dev work and to test distros on. Never have to worry about messing up my main machine.
pranavajk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pranavajk »

Thank You very much! This is the best tutorial. Most of the others are just confusing and misleading. Worked like a charm. Thank You! :D
skeezmoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skeezmoe »

pbear wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 am
No one strategy is appropriate for everyone. A crucial issue is whether the host machine (the one from which the installation will be done) uses UEFI or BIOS (legacy boot, CRM, etc.). This is crucial because there’s a bug in the Ubuntu installer, also used by Mint, which in UEFI will bollix the internal hard drive’s boot loader even if one specifies the new boot loader should be installed only to the USB drive. Installation in BIOS mode (below) doesn’t have this problem.
OMG I wish I found this thread before I tried installing Mint to a USB drive and specifically told it to put the bootloader in the USB not the Windows drive. Why on earth have they not fixed this even now? This has put me off Mint, Manjaro does not have this problem (I tried this first then decided to try Mint). I am now having to find a thread/discussion to try and restore the Windows 10 bootloader and no other bootloader on the system drive and make sure the boot partition is as it was :'(
imazed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by imazed »

Thank you for a great post. Not just steps to follow but information to understand what I was doing.
Thanks to this post I now have a portable ITB Backup device which I can plug into any of the family's Windows or Linux machines and do a backup without using their installed OS. :D :D
You may like to know that there is a video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbdAmJ5jzfM based on this. The author gives you full credit. That video has the title "How to Install Linux Mint 17.1 on External Hard Drive" which shows up in Google searches when the search words "External Hard Disk". Your post did not appear on the many searches I did so maybe a subtle change of title will enable even more people to see your good work.
Thanks again

Return to “Tutorials”