How to verify the ISO image on Windows

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
scrivdog

Re: How to verify the ISO image on Windows

Post by scrivdog »

Hi there. This is my first time doing this. I Did the integrity check, following all the directions carefully. The problem is I can't get the hash to match. I get the hash 1c 4f 48 60 44 36 85 cd 29 f1 28 f5 6f 69 0f db 32 cc b5 79. I cant find those numbers anywhere on the sha256sum.txt So Im guessing it didn't pass the integrity check. The problem is that I deleted the mirror and tried a different server. I got the exact same hash. I did this 3 times all with the same hash. I am wondering also why the amount of numbers is different on the string of numbers I get in the command window vs what is on the sha256sum.txt. So I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.
I am trying to download Linux MInt - Matte 64 bit and am checking the integrity of the iso with windows 7
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, scrivdog.

Note:

Windows CertUtil will display the sha256 checksum with space characters to make reading easier, like you had posted:
1c 4f 48 60 44 36 85 cd 29 f1 28 f5 6f 69 0f db 32 cc b5 79

The sha256sum.txt file, however, holds the checksum without the space characters. i.e. the checksum above would look like this:
1c4f4860443685cd29f128f56f690fdb32ccb579

Question:

Which Linux Mint installation ISO image file precisely did you download?
There is no Linux Mint Matte 64-bit.
There is, however, Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit.
The corresponding download file would be named linuxmint-19.2-mate-64bit.iso
Its checksum would be: 2c1d7912a8e57ccee222487687bab27164c76bd2598395507e461e8d23d381f8 *linuxmint-19.2-xfce-64bit.iso

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
gm10

Post by gm10 »

scrivdog wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:57 pm Hi there. This is my first time doing this. I Did the integrity check, following all the directions carefully. The problem is I can't get the hash to match. I get the hash 1c 4f 48 60 44 36 85 cd 29 f1 28 f5 6f 69 0f db 32 cc b5 79. I cant find those numbers anywhere on the sha256sum.txt So Im guessing it didn't pass the integrity check. The problem is that I deleted the mirror and tried a different server. I got the exact same hash. I did this 3 times all with the same hash. I am wondering also why the amount of numbers is different on the string of numbers I get in the command window vs what is on the sha256sum.txt. So I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.
I am trying to download Linux MInt - Matte 64 bit and am checking the integrity of the iso with windows 7
Hi, welcome to Linux Mint. Your mistake is that you forgot the last part of the command, the SHA256 bit:

Code: Select all

CertUtil -hashfile filename.iso SHA256
Because of that the tool used the default hash algorithm, which is SHA1, hence the hash you calculated was different than expected.

In the future, when asking for help, please copy & paste the entire command line plus output, plus any other information that might be relevant, that makes it much easier for us to understand what went wrong. ;)
scrivdog

Post by scrivdog »

Thanks for responding Karl,

C:\Users\the people\Documents\iso>CertUtil -hashfile "linuxmint-19.2-mate-64bit(1).iso"
SHA1 hash of file linuxmint-19.2-mate-64bit(1).iso:
1c 4f 48 60 44 36 85 cd 29 f1 28 f5 6f 69 0f db 32 cc b5 79
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.
C:\Users\the people\Documents\iso>
I figured out that when you select all and copy the CertUtil line thing and put it in the command box and then replace "file name" with the linux name it cuts off the shasum off the end of it and you have to re-enter it manually. I did that and it gives me the correct numbers. Thank you so much!!
IronKnuckle

Post by IronKnuckle »

When I try to authenticate my copy of the 32-bit version of LinuxMint 10.2 (Cinnamon), all I have is this output:

I:\ISO>gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 27DEB15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09
gpg: key 300F846BA25BAE09: "Linux Mint ISO Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

I'm not sure what to do. In the past, I have verified the 10.1 version and the authentication worked successfully.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

IronKnuckle wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:40 pm When I try to authenticate my copy of the 32-bit version of LinuxMint 10.2 (Cinnamon), all I have is this output:
That output is okay. It means you have already downloaded the key previously. Proceed to step 2.
IronKnuckle

Post by IronKnuckle »

Thank you!
MarkOsborne

Post by MarkOsborne »

Hi, sorry if im re-asking an answered question but when i try to do the integrity test i get this response:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MarkOsborne wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 pm Hi, sorry if im re-asking an answered question but when i try to do the integrity test i get this response:
Hi. I'm not entirely sure. Try using the correct uppercase capitalization for SHA256, but it should not matter. What version of Windows are you trying this on and what does this say?

CertUtil -v -hashfile

You can also go the 7-Zip route mentioned in the guide for older Windows versions (but I'd still be interested in the answers to my questions above to improve the guide - I wasn't aware that there were CertUtil versions that had trouble with SHA256).
kouty

Post by kouty »

> Type this command into the command window while replacing the filename.iso part with the actual name of the .iso file you downloaded:

In my PC there is the option to open in Windows PowerShell only and I typerd CODE: SELECT ALL and here is the result

`PS C:\Users\Admin\OneDrive\שולחן העבודה\ISO> CODE: SELECTALL
CODE: : The term 'CODE:' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ CODE: SELECTALL
+ ~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (CODE::String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Admin\OneDrive\שולחן העבודה\ISO>`
What can I do (in windows 10).
gm10

Post by gm10 »

kouty wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm > Type this command into the command window while replacing the filename.iso part with the actual name of the .iso file you downloaded:

In my PC there is the option to open in Windows PowerShell only and I typerd CODE: SELECT ALL and here is the result
Oh wow, I did not see that one coming! The CODE: SELECT ALL is a feature provided by the forum software here, if you click with your mouse on the SELECT ALL then the command code will get selected for easy copy & pasting. The actual command you are meant to copy & paste is the one that comes afterwards in green. ;) I can see how this could be confusing if you're not used to Internet forums.
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

Post by peyrol »

It might be worth noting, for the benefit of those like me who are not very familiar with Windows, that Notepad does not interpret the carriage return character by itself as a new line. It expects both CR and LF. So, the md checksum text file in Notepad will display as a single line. If your iso is not the first one listed, you would need to scroll to the right to find, for example, the 64 bit MATE iso checksum. It took me a while to figure this out.

Thanks for your help!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

peyrol wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:23 pm It might be worth noting, for the benefit of those like me who are not very familiar with Windows, that Notepad does not interpret the carriage return character by itself as a new line. It expects both CR and LF. So, the md checksum text file in Notepad will display as a single line. If your iso is not the first one listed, you would need to scroll to the right to find, for example, the 64 bit MATE iso checksum. It took me a while to figure this out.
Ah, good point. This was actually finally fixed in Windows 10 but it is true that older versions of Windows would still have trouble with it.
Luigimo

Post by Luigimo »

Every time i try and do an Authenticity Check i get "gpg: keyserver receive failed: Server indicated a failure" error message, anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?
0x2620

Post by 0x2620 »

Luigimo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:42 am Every time i try and do an Authenticity Check i get "gpg: keyserver receive failed: Server indicated a failure" error message, anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?
Same here. I assume it is related to the updates not being signed issue from a while ago, and the mirror I downloaded it from hasn't propagated the changes forward. The hash is the same so I'm continuing with installation anyways.

LInux Mint 19.2, Mate edition, 64-bit.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

0x2620 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm
Luigimo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:42 am Every time i try and do an Authenticity Check i get "gpg: keyserver receive failed: Server indicated a failure" error message, anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?
Same here. I assume it is related to the updates not being signed issue from a while ago, and the mirror I downloaded it from hasn't propagated the changes forward. The hash is the same so I'm continuing with installation anyways.
It's unrelated. See my post here:
viewtopic.php?p=1639913#p1639913
as well as the following posts.
jonpoljones

Post by jonpoljones »

Hello, I have windows XP and when i am following instructions for autheticity check with al the different commands variations suggested I get this which translate more or less as "no keyserver available"

How can I get this done, it's been month I am trying...

C:\Mes documents\Downloads>gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-
key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
gpg: échec de réception depuis le serveur de clefs : Aucun serveur de clefs disp
onible

C:\Mes documents\Downloads>

Thanks for your support!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

jonpoljones wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 pm How can I get this done, it's been month I am trying...

C:\Mes documents\Downloads>gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-
key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
gpg: échec de réception depuis le serveur de clefs : Aucun serveur de clefs disp
onible
Considering that is not the format of the command as I provide it in the guide, did you actually read the guide including the variants to the command provided there in case of connection problems? Also make sure you don't have an application firewall blocking gpg, but that goes without saying.
jonpoljones

Post by jonpoljones »

Hello gm10,
thanks for your response.
As i said, I entered all different commands provided in your post and also on "verify iso tutorial" on the linuxmint website, but non of these works and it is always the same answer. I disabled fire wall and antivirus.

Here is what command prompt says:

Could it be because my computer might be 32bit and I downloaded 64bit?

Thanks for your support.

Le chemin d'accès spécifié est introuvable.

C:\Mes documents\Downloads>gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --rec
v-key 27DEB15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09
onible

C:\Mes documents\Downloads>gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 27DEB
15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09
onible

key 27DEB15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09
onible

gm10

Post by gm10 »

jonpoljones wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:14 pm Here is what command prompt says:

Could it be because my computer might be 32bit and I downloaded 64bit?
No, gpg wouldn't even launch if it was 64-bit on a 32-bit install. Here's another alternative I can offer:

gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key 27DEB15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09
If that does not work, either, then as a last resort you can try retrieving it in a browser: https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup ... =on&op=get, storing it to a file (e.g. ~/key.asc) and then importing it with gpg (gpg --import ~/key.asc).

Return to “Tutorials”