How to verify the ISO image on Windows

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to verify the ISO image on Windows

Post by karlchen »

gm10 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:57 amkarlchen thx but this is a guide for Windows so the Linux command really doesn't matter in this context. ;)
Oh, I see. monotoned's question had really been about the commandline usage of the Windows find command.
I had misunderstood it to be: I know how to use Windows find, but why does Linux find not work in the same way?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
monotoned

Post by monotoned »

gm10 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:57 am karlchen thx but this is a guide for Windows so the Linux command really doesn't matter in this context. ;)

Not a dumb question at all but a shortcoming of my guide actually. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I had originally not written it with PowerShell in mind, was reminded of it later in this thread but didn't consider the implications for the find command. In PowerShell you'd need to use triple quotes """hash""". I'll adjust the guide to make everybody use cmd.exe, it's simpler.

Your Ctrl+F manual check is completely sufficient though so you do not need to do it again, using find was meant to simplify things, not complicate them as happened here. ;)
Thank you! That was indeed my question, I already assumed ctrl+f was fine and went on with the installation. I asked out of curiosity so thank you for answering!
karlchen wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:14 am Oh, I see. monotoned's question had really been about the commandline usage of the Windows find command.
I had misunderstood it to be: I know how to use Windows find, but why does Linux find not work in the same way?
Thank you for answering as well. I didn't know I could use man find for more information, I've got a lot to learn!
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

i downloaded and installed the GnuPG, but it gives me this:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\drago\Downloads\linux mint>gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7  D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
'gpg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\drago\Downloads\linux mint>gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
'gpg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Wrench wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:01 am i downloaded and installed the GnuPG, but it gives me this:
You didn't actually install it/try again.
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

gm10 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 am
Wrench wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:01 am i downloaded and installed the GnuPG, but it gives me this:
You didn't actually install it/try again.
So it was just pretending when I double clicked it and the installer popped up and said installing while the bar went from left to right and then it said finished at the end? Such a rude little program...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Wrench wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 pm So it was just pretending when I double clicked it and the installer popped up and said installing while the bar went from left to right and then it said finished at the end? Such a rude little program...
I guess. Alternatively you skipped ahead and already had a command window open before the installation. The command will only work in a new command window.
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambergriff101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ambergriff101 »

Hi,

I've managed to get as far as the Integrity Check, only to get, GPG' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file,
I have no idea what this means. When I have tried to search for possible explanations or solutions they seem totally unrelated to dealing with checking integrity of anything or anything that I can relate this to (unfamiliar with using cmd).

Any idea on what I should do next?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ambergriff101 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:22 pm Any idea on what I should do next?
See my post above yours, that poster was having the same problem. Unfortunately they never posted back so I'm not sure if I had identified the problem correctly. As long as you installed it correctly you can also access it via the full path it gets installed to:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\gnupg\bin\gpg.exe
If the command line is a problem, there is also the Gpg4win variant to do the whole thing via a GUI, I think you just need to click on the sha256sum.txt.gpg file if you're using that. I'm not really familiar with that tool though.
Ambergriff101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ambergriff101 »

Ah, so that's what it means. I'm sorry, I completely missed that detail in the last few posts. Thank you for making me take another look, helpful but I would by the looks of it just end up going in circles of Install, Find out it failed to install, Install, Find out it failed to install, etc.

Have already resorted to trying to download the ISO and verify it on my Linux computer, I tried twice before using my windows PC but I have since discovered the error in this bit of code;
gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
I would never have picked it up without discovering the correction made to the same bit of code in the instructions for verifying ISO image on Windows.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ambergriff101 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 pm Have already resorted to trying to download the ISO and verify it on my Linux computer, I tried twice before using my windows PC but I have since discovered the error in this bit of code;
gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
I would never have picked it up without discovering the correction made to the same bit of code in the instructions for verifying ISO image on Windows.
Could you clarify? I'm not sure what error you're seeing. Are you saying you've got trouble with port 80 but not port 443?
Ambergriff101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ambergriff101 »

I don't under stand, I have no idea what ports have to do with this as I mentioned none?

Just that I now, thanks to having downloaded linux on Windows and tried to verify and do the integrity check, I have realised that there is an error on the NON-Windows How to Verify ISO instructions. If that error had not existed, chances are that my first attempt on my linux computer would have been successful and I would not have needed to try on Windows.

As far as the Windows problem goes, I followed the instructions on the page and only opened the cmd when instructed, after downloading and installing the Simple Installer for current gnuPG.

As the verification and Integrity checks worked, using the corrected line of code from the windows instructions page I no longer need to fix the windows problem as it will be getting replaced as soon as I can find a suitable pendrive to convert and boot from.

Hope this clarifies things.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ambergriff101 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:33 am I don't under stand, I have no idea what ports have to do with this as I mentioned none?

Just that I now, thanks to having downloaded linux on Windows and tried to verify and do the integrity check, I have realised that there is an error on the NON-Windows How to Verify ISO instructions. If that error had not existed, chances are that my first attempt on my linux computer would have been successful and I would not have needed to try on Windows.
What I'm asking is what error you identified in the non-Windows how to.

The "non-Windows" version:

gpg --keyserver  hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80  --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7  D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
The version I use in this thread:

gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7  D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
The only difference is the protocol:// and :port part (I added some extra spaces to make that even clearer). That's why I was asking about that.

That aside, good to hear the Windows version worked for you. :)
Ambergriff101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ambergriff101 »

I just copied and pasted the correct version from the How to Verify on Windows page instead of the one on the non-windows page.
This is the code on the non-Windows How to Verify ISO page which did not work (on Linux computer);

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7  D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
This is the code on the Windows How to Verify ISO page which did work (on Linux computer);

gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7  D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
My Windows attempt failed as in cmd it gave me;
GPG' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file,
but as the ISO has now been downloaded, verified on my Linux I will not be bothering with attempting it again on Windows. It's clitchy and slow enough when dealing with the thing familiar to me, so it's time to put it out of it's misery.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I understand, and no worries. Welcome to Linux Mint. ;)
RottenClass

Post by RottenClass »

Maxmagicbanana wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:29 pm So I got the first few step good but whe nI went to verified the iso with the last command it showed me this line

PS C:\Users\maxmagicbanana\Desktop\Linux> gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
gpg: impossible d'ouvrir « sha256sum.txt.gpg » : No such file or directory
gpg: verify signatures failed: No such file or directory
SO I'm not to sure how to get it to work.
In your command, simply change sha256sum.txt.gpg for sha256sum.txt.gpg.txt
Should fix it for ya.

Regards,
Zaphod15

Post by Zaphod15 »

Hi, great guide, thanks!
Everything checks out fine for me, except in the integrity check. The hash that I get is the same as in the sha256sum.txt but with one space every two characters. In the sha256sum.txt or in the ghide's snapshots I don't see any spaces. I am verifying the Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" - Cinnamon (32-bit), downloaded from the torrent. This is what i get:
b5 80 05 2c 46 52 ac 8f 1c bc d9 05 7a 03 95 64 2a 72 27 07 d1 7e 1a 77 84 4f f7 fb 4d b3 6b 70
Is that alright?
I am new to this...It probably is a dumb question, but I prefer to be sure. :)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Zaphod15 wrote: Is that alright?
Yes. :)

Joe
Zaphod15

Post by Zaphod15 »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:02 pm
Zaphod15 wrote: Is that alright?
Yes. :)

Joe
Thanks!!
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 0309 »

OP, thank you for your guide. I was able to verify the checksum, but not the GnuPG key. I got the following error message:

ERROR in GETTEXT (bad plural entry)
error.JPG
I wasn't able to find anything from a cursory web search. Do you happen to know what could cause this?
Webatron

Post by Webatron »

Hi, whenever I try the

gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
command, i get this error:

PS C:\ISO> gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
gpg: can't open 'sha256sum.txt.gpg': No such file or directory
gpg: verify signatures failed: No such file or directory
PS C:\ISO>
I have all the files in the same directory, so I have no clue why this would be happeneing. Could someone help please?
fil.jpg

Return to “Tutorials”