[HowTo]: Set Firefox to open to a New Tab in LM 19.1

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
AZM
Level 1
Level 1

[HowTo]: Set Firefox to open to a New Tab in LM 19.1

Post by AZM » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:22 pm

I did this in earlier versions of Firefox on Linux Mint 17.3, but now I want to do it in 19.1
Open first instance of Firefox and display a New Tab as my home page. Thumbnails of my regularly used websites pinned to the page on this and every further opening of a New Tab.

In Firefox 67 on Linux Mint 19.1, that did not seem possible, but I gave about:newtab a try as the Custom URL. The blank page you can select from the drop-down menu is called about:blank and has no customization gear menu.

Open Edit > Preferences.
Click or tap Home.
For Home page and new windows, Select Custom URLs...
Fill the box underneath with: about:newtab

You can close Firefox now.. When you open Firefox, you have a New Tab with a gear wheel in the upper right corner of the first page.

You have a grey reminder text in the address bar, "Search or enter address" that goes away when you enter anything there.
You can add a search bar to the page. Your history will fill the rest of the page with visited websites, which you can go to the gear to set how many lines you want of these. You can pin your favorites in place. You can drag them to different positions as well, and delete the ones you don't want.

-- AZM.
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to tutorials
Linux Mint 19.1 (64 Bit) Mate on IBM System X model 4362 Server Desktop - 2 Cores
AZM

Return to “Tutorials”