Install Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64bit on macbook pro 8,3 [SOLVED]

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
lazarus_long
Level 1
Level 1

Install Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64bit on macbook pro 8,3 [SOLVED]

Post by lazarus_long »

I've been searching the forum and haven't found this install problem installing Mint 19.3, Cinnamon 64bit addressed:

I have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro (8,3) with a dead AMD GPU (well, back then it was still ATI). I found instruction for disabling the GPU, so it now functions normally under Mac OS X using the Intel 3000 HD integrated video. I can no longer use an external monitor, but it is otherwise fully functional.

It currently has 16 GB RAM and its original 256 GB SSD with 3 partitions. I have approx 70 GB for the mac OS X partition, which I upgraded back to Snow Leopard (10.6). Next I have a Windows 7 Bootcamp partition, which I can't use because bootcamp apparently will only use the AMD GPU, it won't use the Intel integrated video.

I have an empty 120 GB partition formatted as HFS+ which I planned to use to install Linux.

I downloaded Mint 19.3 iso and used Etcher to create a boot thumbdrive. I also burned the iso to a DVD.

The DVD is not recognized at all and won't boot.

The thumbdrive will boot but fails. I've been using this procedure.

Insert thumbdrive, power on and hold down option key. The Apple boot menu appears, with my mac OS X, windows, and 2 thumbdrive partitions, both named EFI Boot appear. I've tried both EFI Boot items, both fail and behave identically.

A menu appears with the following options:

Boot linux 64 bit
Boot linux 64 bit (compatibility mode)
OEM install
check media

Booting a live system appears to start - the LM logo appears in the middle of the screen, then it fails with this:

Couldn’t get size: 0x80000000e
MODSIGN: Couldn’t get UEFI db list
ACPI Error: evaluating _BCM failed (20181213/video-364)

Unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

Sometimes it drops me into a Busybody v1.27.2 shell.

When I try booting the (compatibility mode) version, it eventually stops with repeating messages about not being able to read /dev/sr0

I’ve been unable to get any further.

I tried booting the thumbdrive on a different mac book pro - a 15" 2015 model (11,5). It fails to boot with the same errors.

I'm hoping someone has a solution.

Thanks
Last edited by lazarus_long on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Install Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64bit on macbook pro 8,3

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please try with a different thumb drive. The error with sr0 indicates either a faulty dvd media or drive.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

lazarus_long
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lazarus_long »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:17 pm
Please try with a different thumb drive. The error with sr0 indicates either a faulty dvd media or drive.
That worked, thanks!. If the drive was bad, I would have expected etcher to give me an error when creating it. Now on to the next problem...

Apparently it is set by default to automatically click the mouse button if you hover for too long over a control. I looked in the mouse settings, I didn't see anything obvious to turn off this behavior.

I'm also looking for disk cloning tools for doing backups. I found an article here:
https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-15-best-d ... for-linux/

Clonezilla looks promising. I'm looking for something that will create a bootable clone, similar to carbon copy cloner on macOS or Ghost on Windows.

Another stupid question - in general, how well does linux do upgrades to newer OS versions. I installed Mint 19.3, which is supposed to be a LTS version. When support is finally dropped, will I be able to install the next LTS version on top and import apps, settings, data, etc., or is it a 'install from scratch' situation?

stephanieswitzer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stephanieswitzer »

<Snip>

Another stupid question - in general, how well does linux do upgrades to newer OS versions. I installed Mint 19.3, which is supposed to be a LTS version. When support is finally dropped, will I be able to install the next LTS version on top and import apps, settings, data, etc., or is it a 'install from scratch' situation?
No such thing a a stupid question.

As far as upgrades to the current 19.3 version go they come with upgrade instructions and are done through the "Update Manager". Keep an eye on the Mint Blog for announcements. Upgrades to the current versions on Mint are usually announced in the fall and released in December, and they are usually very painless and error free.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

Return to “Tutorials”