NEW Update: Dual Boot Linux Mint/Windows Time Sync & Time Zone Fix - UTC to UTC, Local to Local, UTC to Local, etc.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
sdembis
Level 1
Level 1

NEW Update: Dual Boot Linux Mint/Windows Time Sync & Time Zone Fix - UTC to UTC, Local to Local, UTC to Local, etc.

Post by sdembis »

The time synchronization issue with my dual boot Linux Mint/Windows 10, like so many other members, bothered me. This is the only method that has worked consistently the way I wanted it to.

Note: In Windows 10 'Computer Management' > 'Services and Applications' > 'Services' make sure 'Windows Time' is set to run 'Automatically' and it is started.

Time Sync Fix:

In Windows 10 - Enter "Task Scheduler" in the search bar (bottom left of screen) or follow the first few steps below to access it:
> Control Panel
> System and Security
> Administrative Tools
> Scroll down to Task Scheduler
--------------------------------------------------------- then proceed as follows:
> Task Scheduler Library (left side of screen)
> Microsoft
> Windows
> Time Synchronization (scroll down to it & click on it)
> Create Task (right side of screen)

set up 'ForceSynchronizeTime' > At system startup.
- In the 'General' tab: - Name: ForceSynchronize Time
- click on 'Run whether user is logged on or not' and 'Do Not store password ..'
- in the bottom box, from the drop down menu select 'Configure for Windows 10' or your particular Windows version.

- In the 'Triggers' tab: - click 'New'
- Begin the task: 'At startup' (in the drop-down menu).
- make sure 'Enabled' is checked (bottom of that screen).

- In the 'Actions' tab: - click 'New'
- Action: 'Start a program'
- Under 'Settings' in the 'Program/script' box: enter %windir%\system32\sc.exe and below it in the 'Add arguments'
box: enter start w32time task_started
- click 'OK'
Then:
- click 'New' again
- Action: 'Start a program'
- Under 'Settings' in the 'Program/script' box: enter '%windir%\system32\sc.exe and below it in the 'Add arguments
box: enter /resync
- click 'OK'

- In the 'Conditions' tab: under 'Network' (bottom of screen): click 'Start only if the following network connection is available' and select 'Any connection' from the drop-down menu

- in the 'Settings' tab: check 'Allow task to be run on demand'; 'Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed' and 'If the task fails, restart every 1 minute and Attempt to restart up to 3 times'

Note: There may be a small delay on logon before the task scheduler kicks in and the time adjustment is made. This is normal as the boot cycle progresses and is nothing to be concerned about - the time will adjust.

Reference: Make Windows synchronize time more often: https://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- No reason it shouldn't work on other Linux/Windows Dual Boot combinations but haven't tested it.
It consistently allows me to go local time to local time (or any other time combination) on both Linux Mint and Windows 10.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other methods didn't seem to synchronize properly for me, providing what seemed to be a different time zone time on Windows 10, no matter what I did.

Time Zone Fix:

> In Windows 10, in 'Date and time' (in 'Settings menu' from right click on Start button), I set 'Set time automatically' to on and Set time zone automatically to off. Under Time zone I set it correctly for my own time zone.

Hope it helps anyone else running into the issue and having the problems I did.

Note: If, after a major Windows (10) update or in-place repair install, the Time Sync Fix for Dual Boot Linux/Windows may have to be deleted and/or re-added with the respective scripts/commands having to be re-added manually as well in the Task Scheduler (very easy - scripts/commands shown below)[/b]. Therefore, it is Strongly Recommended that you: Export the task once it is completed to your 'Documents' section for easy import/add-back-in, after a major Windows update or an in-place repair install is done or save to an external disk/USB flash drive if a clean re-install is required. After importing the task, highlight it in the Task Scheduler Library window and hit run (on left side). Should be good to go then and saves the hassle of having to re-add everything in again manually.

Return to “Tutorials”