Mint 20 Cinnamon Edition - How to Switch to 'Traditional' Layout

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Mint 20 Cinnamon Edition - How to Switch to 'Traditional' Layout

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

The Welcome Screen app in Mint 19.1 through 19.3 offered a quick switch between two Desktop layouts - Traditional & Modern. This has been deprecated in Mint 20.

No longer available in Now available again in Mint 20

For users who preferred the convenience of this switch to manually making changes via the Themes settings module, Panel Settings module and Applets Settings module here is how to switch between the two from the terminal in Mint 20.

Please be aware these commands will reset any theme, panel, or applet configuration changes you may already have applied.

Copy and paste this entire code block into a terminal and press enter to switch to the Traditional layout.

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/cinnamon/panels-enabled "['1:0:bottom']"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/panels-height "['1:27']"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/panel-zone-icon-sizes '[{"left":0,"center":0,"right":0,"panelId":1}]'
dconf write /org/cinnamon/enabled-applets "['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:1:show-desktop@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:3:window-list@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:0:systray@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:1:xapp-status@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:2:keyboard@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:3:notifications@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:4:printers@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:5:removable-drives@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:6:user@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:7:network@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:8:sound@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:9:power@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:10:calendar@cinnamon.org']"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/theme/name "'Linux Mint'"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/interface/gtk-theme "'Mint-X'"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/interface/icon-theme "'Mint-X'"
dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/theme "'Mint-X'"
cinnamon --replace > /dev/null 2>&1 & disown
Copy and paste this entire code block into a terminal and press enter to revert back to the default Modern layout.

Code: Select all

dconf reset /org/cinnamon/panels-enabled 
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/panels-height
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/panel-zone-icon-sizes
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/enabled-applets
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/theme/name
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/desktop/interface/gtk-theme
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/desktop/interface/icon-theme
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/theme
cinnamon --replace > /dev/null 2>&1 & disown
Last edited by smurphos on Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

warrickguy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20 Cinnamon Edition - How to Switch to 'Traditional' Layout

Post by warrickguy »

I vote to bring it back. It wouldn't have to be on the Welcome screen. Put it in the System Settings Desktop applet.

fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fstjohn »

warrickguy wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:59 pm
I vote to bring it back. It wouldn't have to be on the Welcome screen. Put it in the System Settings Desktop applet.
Agreed. The change to the traditional desktop theme was the first thing I always did after installation. IMO the welcome screen was the proper place for it. I'm going through the live USB stick version for now, but I'll be installing the release version when it's available, and I'll make the change via terminal.

Blue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Blue »

I have to agree. I hate to say that but removing this option from the welcome screen is a shame. I dunno where to post about this unfortunately. Is there a way to make a poll ?

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

The welcome screen was never really the right place for this - if was going to be reintroduced in any form it should probably be attached to the Panel settings module as a extra tab - 'Panel Layouts' and offer more layouts in addition to Mint's Traditional and Modern. I'd also like the end-user to have the opportunity to be able to save and restore their own customised layouts via the GUI.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

LiquidIce32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LiquidIce32 »

You can also edit the applets to get your window list back. Remove the Grouped Window List applet and replace it with the Window List applet.

I never upgraded to 19.x, but this is how I get a usable window list on the LM20 beta DVD.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

LiquidIce32 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:09 am
You can also edit the applets to get your window list back. Remove the Grouped Window List applet and replace it with the Window List applet.
If you are doing it manually you probably want to replace the Grouped-Window-List applet with the Window-List and Panel launcher applets in combo.

Another option is to configure the Grouped-Window-List to 1) not-group and/or 2) have labels. Both those options are in it's preferences.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Steve, would you be able to fix the Cinnamon Multi-Line Taskbar applet in order to better integrate in the Traditional panel layout?
The panel would need some fix/improvement too (see here).

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Drugwash wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:25 pm
Steve, would you be able to fix the Cinnamon Multi-Line Taskbar applet in order to better integrate in the Traditional panel layout?
The panel would need some fix/improvement too (see here).
Applet development other than a little bit of light tweaking unfortunately isn't in my current skillset and that one which has been without a maintainer for at least 4 years probably needs a ground up re-write.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Yeah, probably. Too bad. Maybe someone would have mercy and pick it up though.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

smurphos wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:22 am
Another option is to configure the Grouped-Window-List to 1) not-group and/or 2) have labels. Both those options are in it's preferences.
That's perhaps the easiest solution.... At least for me, because those are the two things I want. Or rather don't want. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

This is being brought back.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

clem wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:42 am
This is being brought back.
I was just about to reply to Stephen in the blog article but decided to make it shorter after seeing your reply. Please allow me some clarifications that maybe some users would agree with. Let me point out a few things:
1. Appearance is very important to many people, to some even critical;
2. The Welcome dialog is most likely used one single time, right after system install;
3. The Desktop Layout is most likely set one single time, right after system install;
4. All other options in First Steps can easily be found in Main Menu as single-click options;
5. Desktop Layout is nowhere to be found as a single-click option;
6. New users would have no idea that the option once was and now is gone, or that is available by jumping through hoops.

Corroborating all the above results in you (team) having removed the only option that would actually make sense in the Welcome dialog. :o

Now here's what I consider to be the right thing, and please any user interested in this option speak your mind - approve the below or suggest other variants:
- put that option in the Panel Settings dialog where any person thinking logically would search for it;
- replace the old twin-image button that was just removed in Welcome with a Launch button and a proper description of the setting;
- for maximum user-friendliness a launcher for Panel Settings may be placed in Main Menu > Preferences, naming it Panel Layout, because it sounds more representative of what it does.

Anyway, thank you for deciding to bring the option back as so many users asked. Hopefully it will be implemented most optimally this time. Good luck!

ruprecht
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruprecht »

The simplest way to change the layout not via welcome screen: go to:menu> settings> Applets.
You disable the applet "Grouped window list". You enable the applet "Window list". Done.
And by the way there you can also disable the thumbnails: window list> click the configure icon (gears icon)>display> switch off "show window thumbnails on hover"
that will do it also on mint 20

Return to “Tutorials”